Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P QNAP TS-251 and Asus RT-AC68U router. NVR theft.

cigar7

n3wb
Reaction score
There have been several break-ins into houses in the neighbourhood that had cameras and NVRs but the thieves also stole the NVRs, so no video, and they also cut TV cable and phone service cables!

Currently, I have 7 hikvision 3mp (ds-2cd2132-i or similar) cameras running into a DS-7616NI-SE/P NVR, and the NVR is LAN connected to a ASUS RT-AC68U router. I am considering adding a small NAS, that can be put inside a vault, that backups or directly stores the video from the cameras. The NVR currently has a 4TB WD purple, which has adequate storage. All cams record only on motion.

Would a QNAP TS-251 be an appropriate NAS ? Would I just plug the TS251 into the router and then use qsync to copy the nvr files to the NAS, perhaps once every 15 minutes?

Or maybe added a dlink 8 port POE switch, run the cams into the switch, connect the switch to the router, add the QNAP NAS, buy 5 SS licenses, basically running the video into the NAS inside the vault?

Would the TS-251 overheat inside the vault? There would be 2 holes into the vault, one for Ethernet and for power.

I don't want to upload video to the internet, or be dependent on internet service.

Any other recommended configurations to save video in case of NVR theft?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Would I just plug the TS251 into the router and then use qsync to copy the nvr files to the NAS, perhaps once every 15 minutes?
There is no simple access to the NVR stored files, qsync would not work.
You would find SS a bit limited after the Hikvision NVR, plus the licences are expensive at $60 each.
Although not stated - are your cameras connected to the PoE ports on your NVR? That makes them not easily accessible from the LAN.
Another option would be another NVR.
But with NAS or another NVR you'd still have to gain access to the cameras to be able to record from them.

I'm not sure about your DS-7616NI-SE/P NVR, but the 7816N-E2/8P provides RTSP streams for each camera channel, which can be pulled from another NVR or SS as a generic RTSP source.
If your NVR still supports ONVIF, you may be able to check this out with the very good Windows open-source tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
Example from the Receivers page:
NVR_17.jpg

If no ONVIF response from the NVR, you could test this out with a VLC connection (replacing the IP address with yours), such as :
rtsp://192.168.1.211:554/Streaming/channels/401
and this variant
rtsp://192.168.1.211:554/PSIA/Streaming/channels/401

I suspect a second non-PoE NVR would be the cheaper option, however the QNAP NAS would be so much more than a storage facility.
Where do you currently back up all your important files, documents, photographs etc? If you are taking a risk with them, the NAS would help reduce that risk.

*edit*
Just another thought "All cams record only on motion."
If you could get it to work, and some snapshots would be enough for you (though I'd much prefer continuous recording for intruder scenarios) maybe the FTP snapshot could be tried.

cigar7

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no simple access to the NVR stored files, qsync would not work.
You would find SS a bit limited after the Hikvision NVR, plus the licences are expensive at $60 each.
Although not stated - are your cameras connected to the PoE ports on your NVR? That makes them not easily accessible from the LAN.
Another option would be another NVR.
But with NAS or another NVR you'd still have to gain access to the cameras to be able to record from them.

I'm not sure about your DS-7616NI-SE/P NVR, but the 7816N-E2/8P provides RTSP streams for each camera channel, which can be pulled from another NVR or SS as a generic RTSP source.
If your NVR still supports ONVIF, you may be able to check this out with the very good Windows open-source tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
Example from the Receivers page:
View attachment 8255

If no ONVIF response from the NVR, you could test this out with a VLC connection (replacing the IP address with yours), such as :
rtsp://192.168.1.211:554/Streaming/channels/401
and this variant
rtsp://192.168.1.211:554/PSIA/Streaming/channels/401

I suspect a second non-PoE NVR would be the cheaper option, however the QNAP NAS would be so much more than a storage facility.
Where do you currently back up all your important files, documents, photographs etc? If you are taking a risk with them, the NAS would help reduce that risk.

*edit*
Just another thought "All cams record only on motion."
If you could get it to work, and some snapshots would be enough for you (though I'd much prefer continuous recording for intruder scenarios) maybe the FTP snapshot could be tried.
Currently, the cams are all POE powered and all are connected to the NVR POE ports.
I don't currently back-up important computer based files.

Cost is not the primary consideration. I'm more interested in getting a robust, reliable, secure easy to use system in place, one where there is a low probability of the video getting stolen. I'm willing to pay to get excellent quality video of all intruders, highest quality, max.fps .

Later, I'll try out the other things you recommend about ONVIF.

With the second NVR recommendation, rather than a NAS, are you suggesting it be put into a vault? The NVR is an awkward size, so it would need a large vault, much bigger than the NAS. The current NVR runs hot, so it would probably melt in a vault.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With the second NVR recommendation, rather than a NAS, are you suggesting it be put into a vault?
It was more of a logical suggestion than a physical one.
I have a couple of 7816 NVRs, one is up on top of a cupboard in a utility room, with the lights taped up, not very obvious, though it can be heard, PSU fan. It only runs slightly warm, maybe 40w mostly due to the PoE ports.
The other is a plaything in plain sight in the study, along with a couple of QNAP NAS boxes that you'd have to crawl to see, they run silently.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
How about a cheap bait NVR running the cams through a poe switch. Have the REAL NVr be something like a computer on a big UPS running Blue Iris. Have cams with SD cards so they're storing footage as well as the NVR computer. Tuck a NAS somewhere hidden to help save the footage. Clone the BI cams and have one instance of each cam have aggressive motion settings (fewer false alerts) email multiple motion alert pictures offsite as well as a short video clip, camera on your electrical entrance, maybe one with a long lens on the pole, PIRs or perimeter alarms, and a monitored alarm system with cell notifucation technogy. If they cut the power you've got a good chance to have their pics emailed off site from the cam by your entrance, cellular notification that the power's been cut, an alarm when they break in, the hidden NAS holding the video, SD cards in each camera as well, and more than enough UPS capacity to run everything until the cut power alarm is looked into. They'll never get everything quickly enough to avoid leaving some footage. If you really want to get tricky, hide some game cams in the woods or shrubbery. The key is long lasting UPS backup along with cellular alarm technology. Unless they run cell jammers you'll have enough notice to get someone there fast enough that they can't get all of your footage in all of the locations.

cigar7

n3wb
Reaction score
Which model of QNAP box would you recommend for 7 or 8 hikvision 3mp cams running at 1080p? What models do you have?
QNAP website recommended a TS-253 pro or a TS251 maybe a TS251+ or a TS251-4g

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I tend tot think that the design of a security system failed when thieves werd able tot steal your nvr.
how hard can it be to find a secure spot in your house or barn ? screw a thick bracket on top of it if you have to. when it takes an hour tot unscrew, they wont steal it...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Which model of QNAP box would you recommend for 7 or 8 hikvision 3mp cams running at 1080p? What models do you have?
I have a TS-412 - just used as a backup device, too low powered for handling video stream, and a TS-431+ which is fine - but I only use it with a few cameras as I didn't want to pay $60 per channel licence cost.
I've been very pleased and impressed with Hikvision NVRs, very good value for 16 channels, a good match to the camera analytics, and 100% stable.

cigar7

n3wb
Reaction score
Putting a thick bracket on it, it's ok for an hour. But the NVR and HD can be destroyed with a hammer in a minute and that means all video is lost.

cigar7

n3wb
Reaction score
So the the TS431+ is good for 7 or 8 3mp cams running at max. resolution technically?

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
use some cams with built in sdcards. You may also want to use ups with some of the cams. Our cctv is vulnerable because there us no UPS.

dump internal cam snapshots too cloud

Just remember you only need 1 good photo of the thief for an i.d.

as someone has said a hammer takes care of the nvr.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So the the TS431+ is good for 7 or 8 3mp cams running at max. resolution technically?
Yes, however I do prefer the Hikvision NVR over Surveillance Station, it's more functional, and designed for the purpose. Surveillance Station and QTS updates can cause unpredictable side effects.

cigar7

n3wb
Reaction score
use some cams with built in sdcards. You may also want to use ups with some of the cams. Our cctv is vulnerable because there us no UPS.

dump internal cam snapshots too cloud

Just remember you only need 1 good photo of the thief for an i.d.

as someone has said a hammer takes care of the nvr.
Several cams do have SDcards but sometimes the cams are also stolen. Cams are POE so once their cable is disconnected, power is lost.
It seems like there is more than one guy, maybe a team, that hit the premises - 1 or 2 guys get the nvr and cams, another 1 or 2 go through the premises and get the goodies. In and out in a short time.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
perhaps one of the pinhole cameras with SD storage watching over your NVR, through a pinhole.. cant steal what they cant find and anyone whom take your NVR your likely to get images of.