Hikvision DS-7732NI-K4/16P IP cameras remote viewing

AndyB

n3wb
Reaction score
Sort of related to another thread but probably worth it's own!
Hikvision DS-7732NI-K4/16P and lots of DS-2CD2125FWD-I cameras.
Hikvision LAN is setup on 192.168.1.0/24 subnet with the desktop PCs, etc, on the LAN, setup port forwarding on the public router to reach it remotely.

Several cameras I've setup on the local LAN 192.168.1.0/24 did the activation, cameras work you can stream them direct from their IP or on the VGA/HDMI on the NVR works great (added as manual camera entries).
However when you try to view remotely it fails with "LIVE VIEW FAILED".

Other cameras (directly connected to NVR on rear 16-port POE ports) work fine streaming, suggesting that the Internet Explorer plugin, etc, are all working correctly.
It's only cameras on the LAN that don't work. Worryingly I also cannot search/view recorded data on the NVR for these cameras, even though they are supposed to be recording and stored on the NVR itself.
Makes no difference if my laptop is on the local network or remotely over the internet, same problem.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong trying to view these?
I'm assuming that the connection should be:
My Laptop --> NVR --> Camera (so my laptop talks to the NVR to stream the data, and the NVR talks to the camera).

I've checked/reset the network configuration various times and removed/re-added cameras with the same issue.

Going into SYSTEM > CAMERA MANAGEMENT the cameras I've added on the LAN have:
D17
IP address 192.168.1.5
protocol HIKVISION
Management port 8000
Channel no 1
user name admin
password (the activation password/login password for camera, confirmed by web interface to camera direct)
confirm (as above)
Transfer protocol Auto

I've tried switching between main and substream/stream2 and various other settings and nothing seems to solve it.
Help!

AndyB

n3wb
Reaction score
FOUND IT!
But not really solved.
So, we login using our own login accounts to the NVR (Not the admin account), and it seems this is the issue. The mobile app (ivms-4500) gave a clue as it shows "no permission" on these extra IP cameras.
Logging in with the admin user and it streams them fine, no issues.

So the remaining question, how/where do I set permission to access these extra cameras. My user account has all boxes ticked in permissions (Operator) so it should allow them all surely?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So, we login using our own login accounts to the NVR (Not the admin account), and it seems this is the issue.
Not something I've tested, as I usually only use the 'admin' account - when NVR PoE-connected cameras are added under 'Plug&Play' the NVR admin password is used to 'activate' them, by default. (newer firmware can set a separate user account for this).
Using Virtual Host to access the camera web GUI, has the NVR also applied the other NVR 'user' account to the cameras?

If so - that might explain why you are seeing 'no permission' on the LAN-based cameras as the NVR has presumably not also applied the 'user' account to them as they were added manually. Because the NVR is trying the 'user' account to access the camera streams, and it does not exist, so 'no permission'.
To be confirmed by checking the accounts in the LAN-based cameras web GUI.

My user account has all boxes ticked in permissions (Operator) so it should allow them all surely?
In the NVR. But does the account exist in the cameras?

Just a guess.
If that makes sense ...

AndyB

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Alastair, certainly an interesting suggestion, but alas no this hasn't solved it.
Logging into one of the additional camera web interfaces, only the "admin" user was in the local user table, so I added my own user with same password and full privileges. Still no live view/no permission error so it must be something else.
I'm going to create another user and test using that as the users I created were before I'd added all cameras, I'm wondering if there is a permissions table that wasn't populated when I added more cameras.
I'll keep testing and see what results I can find.

AndyB

n3wb
Reaction score
AHA!

That's it. So if I create a new user, now all cameras are registered/working, the new user has full access.
So, I've deleted the original users (excluding admin) and re-added them, they now can access all cameras.
Must be some bug in the software when adding users and permissions in there.