HIKVISION DS-7808N-K2/8P - Bricked after firmware update

Tris

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi:)

This is my first post here. I've been reading the different post trying to find somebody with the same issue with no luck.

So here is my problem. I bought this NVR from Aliexpress (HIKVISION DS-78008N-K2/8P) and as you can guess I updated the FW apparently to a wrong version. Now it boots with the Hikvison logo and beeps 16x and then reboot infinitely.

I've then tried to re-flash the NVR with this Chinese version: V3.4.100 build180626 (from this website http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_699.html#prettyPhoto ) with the TFTP but the upgrade process runs into a loop.

Any help would be highly appreciated :)

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated the FW apparently to a wrong version
Presumably you used an EN/ML version, on what appears to be a China-region NVR that had been running 'hacked to English' firmware installed by the seller.
Any chance you could ask the seller for a copy of the firmware that was originally on it?

the TFTP but the upgrade process runs into a loop.
Internally, it will be rejecting the downloaded firmware as the wrong version.
this Chinese version: V3.4.100 build180626
That's presumably the 6th one down on the referenced link.
There seems to be some ambiguity as to the choice for your specific model.
Try the download from the 5th one down, see if that gets accepted.

Tris

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The seller doesn't answer my request. It will be hard to get the hacked FW from him.
I've tried the FW you suggested with no luck.
I've also tried to flash a EU FW and changing the region with Hiktool but I cannot find the exact model. It seems that the ds-7800 serie doesn't exist in "non Chinese" version.
Feeling quite stuck at the moment and thinking about buying a SIP programmer and buying another NVR unit. Would copying the SIP ROM work?
Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Would copying the SIP ROM work?
Only if you had a valid flash image. Which you might be able to copy, if the board allowed an in-situ access.
I've also tried to flash a EU FW and changing the region with Hiktool
That only changes the language in the header of the firmware wrapper - not the language of the firmware itself.
Historically, the 7800N-Ex series have used the same hardware as the 7600NI-Ex and can run the same firmware.
I have no idea though if that is also true for the K2 series.

The next easiest step, in my view, would be to hook up to the serial console and see what the update program is complaining about.
It might just be that the file size does not work with the Hikvision tftp updater and it bombs trying.
The bootloader will have a manual firmware update menu that will work with a normal tftp server.
Assuming the usual hardware, you would need :
A serial TTL to USB convertor, a PL2303HX based one works OK.
A 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector, usually bought in 10-packs.

Tris

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow! that's a lot of valuable information.
Where is the serial port located? (no RS232 at the back of the NVR)
IMG_20180811_132656[1].jpg IMG_20180811_132704[1].jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Where is the serial port located? (no RS232 at the back of the NVR)
Usually it's very obvious as there is normally only one 4-pin 1.5mm connector.
But in your image there seems to be a choice of 2, by the HDD power connector. I presume the one by the SATA ports is too big.
Unless one or both was occupied by a cable that's been removed, maybe for the front panel for example.

Tris

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, thanks Alaser. I'll order the bits and will post what i manage to do (or not:)