Hikvision DS-9632NI-I8 bitrate issue?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just received a Hikvision DS-9632NI-I8, running V4.22.005 build 191208. It is supposed to have a 320 Mbps input with no RAID.

I've got one DS-2CD2085G1-I 4k camera, 3 x 2MP cameras and 1 x 3MP camera.

The 4k is in the backyard, where there are some trees where leaves move in the wind. I have set the camera to 10 fps, and the bandwidth somewhere between 8192 and 16384. But even with H.265+, when there's no wind, the bandwidth of the camera is crazy-low. But with the least little wind, maybe 20% of the scene has moving leaves. This makes the bandwidth exceed the 8-16K I set it for.

The NVR will say "bitrate limit exceeded", with a black screen. But that confuses me, I do see the camera hitting over 16384 but why does the camera go black on the NVR? Shouldn't it downgrade the resolution or something to keep the bandwidth low? What good does setting the limits on the bitrate in the camera or NVR do if it goes higher when it needs to and then can't be recorded or viewed?

This happens even if I set the FPS down to 1 FPS.

Is this just telling me an 4K camera should not be used outside?

I just loaded the latest camera firmware (2 months newer than the current one), so we'll see how it goes.

If the NVR really can do 320 Mbps, I should be able to record live video with 4 of the 4K cameras at 10-15 FPS all day with no issue. Is this an issue with H.265+? I'd not think so, as i tried with H.264 first, and it does the same thing...exceeds whatever bitrate I set no matter the FPS.

As far as networking goes, the cameras and NVR are on a separate VLAN on Juniper switches. The ports are 1G PoE and are working as expected with no errors.

Is there no "display total incoming bitrate" screen on the NVR anywhere?

Thanks,

Ambi

Reaction score
Hi,

I see it say Video Download Bandwidth = 262144...that means what it's capable of, not what it is at this instant or in the last X minutes, right? Having a "what's happening now" would be nice. I see each frame on the HDMI output can show bandwidth, but just for that camera.

And you can sure tell there's translation issues with some items...like on that same screen it says "Enable IP Camera Occupation Detection". The manual explains: "NVR will detect whether IP camera is already connected to other device/client." Which still doesn't seem to make sense...but it's not a bandwidth thing, so what's it doing on the "Advanced Network Settings", "Other"?

Thanks,

Ambi

Reaction score
Under: Configure -> Maintenance -> Diagnose -> Network Resource Statistics the View Statistics Information (On the web GUI).

There's "Output Bandwidth 6637 kbps / 256.00 Mbps
also "Input Bandwidth 65792 Kbps / 320.00 Mbps

If I look on HDMI, "Menu -> Network Detection -> under the bond0 I see between 40-60 Mbps. Nowhere near 320 or 256 Mbps.

I don't see the chart, but my old DS7600 had that. I don't think the DS-9632NI-I8 has this.

Thanks,

Ambi

Reaction score
Actually, I think I may have fixed this. For some reason, when using "+" (H.264+, or H.265+) my NVR greys-out the max bitrate:

1582752029999.png
I took this to mean that the max bitrate didn't matter or was otherwise taken care of internally.

But it seems to matter, if change the + option to off, and don't save it, I can edit the Max Bitrate:

1582752211558.png

I can then change it back to "ON" for H.265+. then save, It may reboot the camera. You'll see the new max bitrate set to whatever you set. Repeat to adjust as needed.

Now, I get no (or little) "bitrate exceeded" messages, The default was something like 6100. I've set it to 10240, and now it's OK.

I'll let you know if this continues to occur, if there's an update to the NVR. It certainly seems like an error in the NVR. What does "grey" mean, if not "you can't change it/ you don't need to change it"? Yet, I did change it. Perhaps it needs to be set as "0" or "100000" or "65535" or something to make it decide what the bandwidth should be. After all, it's just FPS x resolution / compression ratio for various protocols.

If it reboots the cam, it will take 20 seconds or so before it decides to do so.

Does anyone know why the grey is there? Some of my cameras have this max. bitrate, and some have that AND a "maximum average bitrate", which of course makes me laugh!

Please try it yourself, and see how it goes. You should be able to do more FPS, higher res, and lower bitrate until you get the "bandwidth exceeded". So at least we know this means "maximum bitrate exceeded FOR THIS CAMERA AND STREAM PARAMETERS".

Regards,

Ambi

1582752029999.png1582752211558.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the grey is there? Some of my cameras have this max. bitrate, and some have that AND a "maximum average bitrate", which of course makes me laugh!
The inbuilt help often isn't complete or accurate, or even helpful, but here is what it says that's relevant to the topic. Except that it doesn't mention bitrate as one of the items greyed out :
H.264+ and H.265+:

• H.264+: If you set the main stream as the stream type, and H.264 as the video encoding, you can see H.264+ available. H.264+ is an improved compression coding technology based on H.264. By enabling H.264+, users can estimate the HDD consumption by its maximum average bitrate. Compared to H.264, H.264+ reduces storage by up to 50% with the same maximum bitrate in most scenes.
  • H.265+: If you set the main stream as the stream type, and H.265 as the video encoding, you can see H.265+ available. H.265+ is an improved compression coding technology based on H.265. By enabling H.265+, users can estimate the HDD consumption by its maximum average bitrate. Compared to H.265, H.265+ reduces storage by up to 50% with the same maximum bitrate in most scenes.

You need to reboot the camera if you want to turn on or turn off the H.264+/H.265+. If you switch from H.264+ to H.265+ directly, and vice versa, a reboot is not required by the system.
Notes:
  • Upgrade your video player to the latest version if live view or playback does not work properly due to compatibility.
  • With H.264+/H.265+ enabled, the parameters such as profile, I frame interval, video quality, and SVC are greyed out.
  • With H.264+/H.265+ enabled, some functions are not supported. For those functions, corresponding interfaces will be hidden.
  • H.264+/H.265+ can spontaneously adjust the bitrate distribution according the requirements of the actual scene in order to realize the set maximum average bitrate in the long term. The camera needs at least 24 hours to adapt to a fixed monitoring scene.

Reaction score
Thanks!

What's a "fixed monitoring scene"? Like a hallway or something inside with little motion? Not an outdoor scene which as moving leaves, etc.?

Reaction score
Also, seeing as Hikvision says:

H.265+ is optimized for surveillance scenarios with the following features

• Background information stays stable and rarely changes.
  • Moving objects, the main area of focus, appear only occasionally in a substantial portion of surveillance video footage.
  • 24-hour non-stop surveillance is required.

H.265+ extends the applications of ultra HD surveillance cameras, such as 8 MP and 12 MP cameras.

I'm moving to H.265 (non-+) for my outdoor image which includes moving leaves.

Regards,

Ambi

Last edited: