HIKvision DS-HD1 and Homebridge

UKenGB

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a suitable doorbell camera that I can use with HomeKit via Homebridge. I like the Nest Hello that apparently is fully functional with the Nest-cam plug-in, but no recording or long term snapshots without a Nest Aware subscription - and that's never gonna happen.

So I am now interested in the DS-HD1 as it appears to offer all I need, but has anyone got this set up in Homebridge? There is at least one video doorbell plug-in that looks suitable, requiring the RTSP and snapshot URLS, but they can be accessed on this camera so all should be good, although cannot confirm button operation and motion detection.

Is anyone using this video doorbell with Homebridge and can advise what works and what does not?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a suitable doorbell camera that I can use with HomeKit via Homebridge. I like the Nest Hello that apparently is fully functional with the Nest-cam plug-in, but no recording or long term snapshots without a Nest Aware subscription - and that's never gonna happen.

So I am now interested in the DS-HD1 as it appears to offer all I need, but has anyone got this set up in Homebridge? There is at least one video doorbell plug-in that looks suitable, requiring the RTSP and snapshot URLS, but they can be accessed on this camera so all should be good, although cannot confirm button operation and motion detection.

Is anyone using this video doorbell with Homebridge and can advise what works and what does not?
From our 101:

APPLE TIPS:
⦁ To Display on HomeKit; via HomeBridge, HomeBridge FFMEG Plugin - bigrob444

UKenGB

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I saw that, but it's not the whole story. Does that plug-in track doorbell button presses? I suspect not as it's a camera plug-in, not a doorbell plug-in. There is a specific video doorbell plug-in, based on the ffmpeg camera plug-in and in theory it ought to work. But…

Before coughing up a not insignificant amount of money on one of these, it would be good to have confirmation of how well it does work from others who have already tried and hopefully are now happily using it. :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may want to ask your question in the Thread the 101 resides in. I am not an Apple user.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I saw that, but it's not the whole story. Does that plug-in track doorbell button presses? I suspect not as it's a camera plug-in, not a doorbell plug-in. There is a specific video doorbell plug-in, based on the ffmpeg camera plug-in and in theory it ought to work. But…

Before coughing up a not insignificant amount of money on one of these, it would be good to have confirmation of how well it does work from others who have already tried and hopefully are now happily using it. :)
Tracking the button press is what prove to be challenging right now since there is no doorbell vendors offering a firmware where button press event can be detected to trigger another event or an event rules without some customization or using their paid cloud service.

Like what @David L said that the 101 will give you a basic idea how a button event is detected from the doorbell by using some type sensor that is attached to the chime itself which can be linked to homebridge.

I am using Sage Doorbell sensor but right now it's not working because my DB1 chime circuit seems to be not activating the chime anymore when button is pressed where it goes to my home automation hub then to homebridge if I assigned a rule to trigger something on my iPhone homekit or show an image.