Hikvision ds7608n-e2/8p boot loop after firmware update using tftp

VTL1192

n3wb
Reaction score
I did a firmware update directly from the hikvision site and right after it went into boot loop stuck on nvr embedded screen

i tried flashing new firmware using tftp and it connects downloads file and restarts and goes back into boot loop

anyone know how to fix this issue

i talked to hikvision on the phone the are no help at all, saying unauthorized seller sold me this and no support

Reaction score
So, I may be too late on this by nearly 3 years... But Del Boy, your angsty response here was so unwarranted and your pseudo-intellectual desire to be right proved how shallow your thought is.

Anyway... The link provided does, in no way, help with the original question. I'm also experiencing this at the moment (Great job Hik, same faults 3 years apart)
It's all well and good accessing via TFTP or Telnet etc. IF YOUR DEVICES DOESN'T CONSTANTLY REBOOT!
I can see the device momentarily, even a ping to the native address shows a response, but every 10 seconds or so, it restarts and the connection is lost.
The link attached means absolutely nothing in this regard.

Has anyone been able to recover from the firmware induced boot loop?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I may be too late on this by nearly 3 years... But Del Boy, your angsty response here was so unwarranted and your pseudo-intellectual desire to be right proved how shallow your thought is.
Absolutely no need for such ridicule - and a good way to inhibit the helpful responses that you seem to need.

It's all well and good accessing via TFTP or Telnet etc. IF YOUR DEVICES DOESN'T CONSTANTLY REBOOT!
The reboot is initiated by the hicore app that runs after the full bootup - the tftp updater runs from the bootloader, and is not affected by the bootloop.

I'm also experiencing this at the moment
On what device, and why?
On that will depend the chosen fix.
Commonly a CN region NVR (eg 76xxN-Ex) that has had EN/ML firmware applied, giving the '15-beep bootloop.
A couple of fixes for that - install, via the Hikvision tftp updater, some 'hacked to English' firmware, or do the 'MTD hack' on the hardware descriptor block to change the device to EN. How to - Fix your 15-beep-bootloop Hikvision DS-76xxN-Ex NVR, or convert to EN and make it updatable

Has anyone been able to recover from the firmware induced boot loop?
Yes, quite a few times, with 'spares and repairs' devices bought at low cost from eBay.
But without knowing more detail about your device, the fixup method is uncertain.

Nhat Huy

n3wb
Reaction score
you find uart port on board and board usb to uart. Download firmware comfotable .Recovery via uboot

jim jordan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Nhat,
Could you please clarify your suggestion? I did find the serial port but after connecting to it (115,200, 8, N, 1) the camera just dumps some garbage symbols on the screen. Does not react on CTRL+U on reboot. When attempting to upload a new firmware, it uploads the file successfully and then reboots and repeats in the loop.
Thasnks!

jim jordan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, @alastairstevenson.
I can't find anything wrong with the serial connection. I can see that pin5 on my DB9 connection is wired to the ground (checked both the metal connector case and the camera case). Checked with another RS 232 port (on another PC) as well. It's a pity because I have 2 ANPR HikVision cameras that went brick (2CD4324). I attached the information from the Tera Term. I've tried puTTY as well as per your suggestion and could see similar "garbage".
BTW, I've tried following suggestions to "unbrick" via TFTUpdate but both files (EN, and CN) cause the camera to go into an infinite loop (connected -> uploaded successfully -> connected -> uploaded successfully …)
Thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought this was an on-board 4-pin connector on a DS-7608N NVR. Hence the comments about serial TTL.

What device are you trying to connect to?
And it has a DB9 connector on the back panel?

jim jordan

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for confusion. I have 2 ANPR CD 4324 cameras. Both went "brick" on firmware update.
I've tried various steps in the order below:
1. Tried to update/downgrade the firmware via TFTPUpdate (5.4.5, 5.4.4 and 5.4.3 that I could find). Result: infinite loop (connected -> file uploaded successfully -> connected -> file uploaded successfully...)
2. Used steps from btick_fix2.zip. Result: cannot go pass uploading the EN or CN "dav" files via TFTPUpdate because of the infinite loop similar to the one from the step above.
3. Disassembled the camera and found a "debug" port which looked like a serial port. Attached wires to it and connected to a computer via USB/RS232 dongle. Result: the garbage data like the one from the screenshot from the previous message.
The original firmware the cameras were shipped with is 5.2 but I cannot find it anywhere (I'm not even sure it would help). I purchased cameras from AliExpress so I have a very low chance of getting the firmware files from the seller.
Thank you again for your time!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera will not be an RS232 connection - it will be a serial TTL connection.
Different and not compatible signal levels.
Hooking up an RS232 interface (+-15v) to serial TTL (0-3v) could well damage it.

You need serial TTL to USB convertor, often a PL2303HX based version.

jim jordan

n3wb
Reaction score
This is what I did not know. Now I can see why I was getting garbage in the terminal window :)
Thank you very much for your help. I will try the TTL to USB adapter and will try to post the results of my tests.

jim jordan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi There,
Finally received my USB/Serial TTL adapter. When I try to update the firmware via "update" shell command, it generates the "platform mismatch" error (see attached screenshot). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, I'm downloading the firmware for my DS-2CD4324 from here: Firmware
Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

jim jordan

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. This is the camera. If I search by the model name (search="4324"), there're only 2 options offered with 3 firmware versions in each. I've tried all of them and they all fail with the same error.
Thanks

jim jordan

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the "platform mismatch" errors means that the firmware "thinks" that the hardware I'm trying to upload it to is incorrect? If so then is there a way to update the "platform code" to force the firmware to install?
Thanks.