HIKvision DVR (DS-7208) and Foscam IP cameras - motion detection?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a HIKvision DS-7208HGHI-SH/A running with some analog cameras - that's all fine and dandy. Motion detection is ofc completely configurable directly on the DVR.

I've since bought a couple of IP cameras, Foscam FI9900P's. They can stream just fine to the DVR, but the DVR is always recording on these IP camera channels. If I try to configure motion detection on the DVR, it says that it's not supported. On the cameras themselves I can configure motion detection, but they can only upload via eg. FTP. For convenience I'd like for the DVR to handle the saving of the video, so the recordings would be accessible directly on the DVR, alongside the analog recordings.

Does anyone know if it's a question of compatibility between the Foscams and the HIKvision? And if so, would the DVR be able to configure and record motion detection, of the IP cameras were eg. HIKvision DS-2CD2132F-Is?

Thank you in advance,
Troels
Denmark

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your DVR support ONVIF compatible cameras?
If so, it may be worth checking if the Foscams create ONVIF events when motion is detected. Not all 'ONVIF-compatible' cameras do.
One way to find out if they do is to use the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some valid logon credentials for the Foscams and it will automatically find them on the same LAN the PC is on.
Check out if events are generated using the 'Events' page.

If that does work, you should be able to connect the cameras as ONVIF and get motion detection.
To configure this, you will need to know the 'ONVIF' port, which shows in ODM in the URL at the bottom of the 'Identification' page.
From what I recall - Foscam use 8899 for the ONVIF port.

Reaction score
Hi again,

I've tried the ODM. Works fine, I can see the stream and everything, but trying to access events, it just says "400 Bad Request". I've read that this could be due to the ONVIF manager to have a different password than the password defined by the user. I just can't see anywhere to define this ONVIF password.

HIKvision manager says "Protocol: ONVIF" for the Foscams, so that looks just fine. 8899 doesn't produce any stream - it automatically reverts to port 888 for ONVIF, and then everything's fine again.

When searching around the internet, word is that FI9900P should send events just fine.

Hope you can help me in my endavours.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The ODM camera password is at the top left, this must match that of the camera.
8899 is the ONVIF port, not the RTSP port for streaming.
If you still get 'bad request' on the Events page when you've set the correct password, the camera does not support ONVIF events for motion.

*edit*
word is that FI9900P should send events just fine.
Yes, but maybe not ONVIF events. It was (maybe still is, I haven't checked for ages) an optional part of the ONVIF Profile.
8899 is the ONVIF port,
I might be wrong on that - but ODM will show the right value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi!

I have the same dilemma. My NVR is an Amcrest NV1104E (4-ch PoE) and two Amcrest IP cams, and they are all working fine. Will I have the same problem doing motion-detect recording thru the NVR with third-party cams? I have learned through Dahua USA and Hikvision that normally, if I pair a different brand of camera with another brand of NVR, regular recording will work but not with motion-detect recording. They say my only two options are 1) get a PoE switch or, 2) buy same brand of camera and NVR.

If I go with #1, is there a guarantee that motion-detect recording will work thru the NVR? Has anyone tried a successful MD recording thru NVR with a third-party cam? I'm thinking of getting a Samsung or Axis fisheye (180-degree) cam if this will work.

Your help is much appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have learned through Dahua USA and Hikvision that normally, if I pair a different brand of camera with another brand of NVR, regular recording will work but not with motion-detect recording.
It's wrong to say it won't work - it's right to say it's not guaranteed to work.
There needs to be a compatible event-management protocol between the IP camera and the NVR for motion events to be actioned, such as either direct support for the specific 3rd party brand/camera model (as in Hikvision NVRs) or a common supported standard such as ONVIF push/pull event subscriptions.
If a camera and NVR support ONVIF events, then motion detection recording is possible.
You won't find it mentioned in any camera specifications that a camera supports ONVIF events - you need to find that out for yourself, or from others' experiences.
1) get a PoE switch
This has no bearing on motion detection, just network connectivity and wiring.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If a camera and NVR support ONVIF events, then motion detection recording is possible. You won't find it mentioned in any camera specifications that a camera supports ONVIF events - you need to find that out for yourself, or from others' experiences.
This is why I find the ONVIF "standard" loosey goosey and a misnomer. If it was not, then we would not have any trouble cross matching brands and it would not be costly and a hassle.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
ONVIF "standard" loosey goosey and a misnomer.
It's not a standard - its a set of specifications, with various levels and both mandatory and optional components, and a formal certification process against those various specifications.
The devil is in the detail, as is often the case.
Hikvision do at least have ONVIF certification, and their cameras do support the (optional) event notifications under ONVIF.
What 3rd party cameras were you thinking of?

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What 3rd party cameras were you thinking of?
Any 3rd-party brand that has a 180-deg. horizontal FOV. Also, when you say "onvif event" -- what exactly is that? I never encountered the phrase "supports onvif event" when looking at the spec sheet of any camera. Normally, it would only say "onvif" and nothing else.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
An event is the ability of the camera to pass a notification to the recorder. Basic events use ws-basenotification and allow alarm and motion events to be presented to the recorder to manage.

theres nothing wrong with the ONVIF spec, just issues with the implementation in cheap barely-compliant devices.

Hik does validate against ONVIF, they are just selective about what and how they validate. You certainly can't rely on their recorders to handle eventing in any meaningful way, but you might get lucky. ODM will report events from your camera if it pushes the, through.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I never encountered the phrase "supports onvif event" when looking at the spec sheet of any camera. Normally, it would only say "onvif" and nothing else.
Neither have I.
You can almost guarantee to be able to get continuous recording under ONVIF.
But you won't know if you can get motion or alarm events from the camera until you try it, or get information from someone else who has tried it.
My Hikvision cameras (2-series, R0 range) all generate ONVIF events, as do the Longse/Cantonk h3516a and SL33M cameras.
My (retired) Amovision and IPCC and Vanxse and Foscam cameras do not.
And, as @Brad_C says, ONVIF Device Manager is a good tool to check this out.

Last edited by a moderator: