hikvision email testing failed..

Smir

n3wb
Reaction score
the following information works for sending and receiving emails in an alternative program...

stuck trying things =-/

Model - DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P
Firmware - V3.4.95 build 170626

is there no way to view the actual error?

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
stuck trying things =-/
The settings are going to vary depending on what the (unspecified) email provider requires.
For gmail for example, you'd need to use port 587 and have 'enable less secure devices' in the account profile.

Smir

n3wb
Reaction score
using my web hosting email, ideally wanted to use something other then my gmail account >.<

Smir

n3wb
Reaction score
well, it definitely works with Gmail.. question is now why isn't working with my hosting provider >.<

managed to get it to work with the port 587

Last edited:

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi alistair is this for S/W releases circa 5.2.5 and 5.3.3 the google settings or is Hik on these releases still broken for GMAIL?

QUOTE="alastairstevenson, post: 230002, member: 1907"]The settings are going to vary depending on what the (unspecified) email provider requires.
For gmail for example, you'd need to use port 587 and have 'enable less secure devices' in the account profile.[/QUOTE]

nottooloud

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well, it definitely works with Gmail
Not here, yet. DS-7616NI-E2 / 8P running V3.4.95 build 170626

Sender - HikNVR
Sender's Address - myaddress@gmail.com
SMTP Server - smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port - 587
check Enable SSL
User Name - myaddress@gmail.com
Password - mygooglepassword

Over on Google, in Sign-in and Security, I have
Allow less secure apps: ON

Save, Test, Testing failed.

Edit: That's using the web interface. If I do it from the NVR, I get Failed to send test email, DNS failed.

Edit2: under Network/General, I hadn't filled in Preferred DNS Server. I put the address of my router, and the test succeeded. Hooray for the more complete error message on the NVR's own display.

Last edited:

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a note, if your using gmail and have “2 factor” enabled there will be some extra steps involved... you will need to login to your gmail and go to the security section and setup a login for your NVR. Gmail will then generate a special password that you will use in place of your normal password when you setup on the NVR

#&%)@%_@%

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally speaking, when your DVR fails to send emails, this is the check path you should take

1). make sure your DVR is connected to the network. Obvious....but it happens occasionally.

2). Verify that all the information is correct in the DVR email configuration. You can set up the exact same account on your cell phone and test it from there. To work on the DVR the same configuration should work from your phone. (This assumes you already made sure the basic network settings for the DVR work)

3). In the DVR Network configuration, make sure you have a valid Preferred DNS Server entry. 8.8.8.8 is one of Googles DNS servers and should work.

4). If you have Firewalls either hardware or software based, make sure they are not blocking the DVR from delivering the SMTP request to the email server.
Sometimes you may need an explicit rule to allow the DVR's IP address to access the outbound interface on the selected port (587 etc)

WoodenTop

n3wb
Reaction score
I use an older firmware Hik nvr. I setup an email address for notifications with mail.ru which seems to offer one of the only "less secure" SMTP servers and still works with my nvr without messing about with any other settings (for example with Gmail).

nottooloud

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Generally speaking, when your DVR fails to send emails, this is the check path you should take
3). In the DVR Network configuration, make sure you have a valid Preferred DNS Server entry. 8.8.8.8 is one of Googles DNS servers and should work.
That's the bit I was missing. Thank you.