Hikvision Firmware Upgrade Problems or Not?

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I am curious what the consensus is here on firmware upgrades for Hikvision products. I am certainly aware of the issue of the region / language / Chinese firmware versions. Beyond that, we have seen some reports of firmware upgrade problems.

So are these firmware upgrade problems with Hikvision products, in your experience, common or uncommon? Anything specifically good or bad that you have found?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Valid US or International Models I will upgrade when security risks are patched, or needed features are added/enabled.
Personally I have never had an issue with upgrading HIK products when done so with the proper files and under proper circumstances.

Private Label HIK hardware (Hunt, LTS, Mars) I will upgrade as soon as firmware is released. Because these private label companies are responsible for programming and editing firmware they may pose a greater security risk, thus I try to keep that hardware current.

The above is theory when running cameras directly to the network. When running cameras VIA NVR I connect them to the NVR, disable all UPNP or outside connections and allow the NVR to control everything. With that said I will always assure the NVR is updated. I will not use China region NVR hardware no matter what the cost savings are, as I do believe it is important to be able to assure the main gateway to the world can be patched should a security update be needed.

While this doesn't really go along with the NVR issue discussed in the article, it's how I roll with HIK hardware and firmware.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought my Hik NVR and some cameras locally for support/ warranty. I've since found that there are no firmware upgrades/ downloads on the Hikvision Australia website and the region locking means I can't use overseas firmware. :banghead:

I did get some later firmware from the dealer, but I've definitely been caught out by assuming there would be equivalent local updates to firmware. I did try an international update for my NVR and got locked out. The dealer supplied the unlock file and that O/S firmware now works. He supplied an Australian firmware that is later than what the NVR came with- but I'm not sure if I'm better sticking with the current overseas firmware (which is most likely a later update!)

PS: I had all the gibberish characters / boxes the same as on that link when I was locked out.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? There are dozens of Hikvision OEMs but, in our discussions with those companies, usually Hikvision does the firmware and the private label / OEM just passes it along.
Unless they have lied to me over the years, which is obviously possible...

I inquired specifically regarding touch screen support for a specific project where private label hardware was needed (LTS and Hunt). This support was functional in HIK branded hardware but not the private label hardware. After inquiries I got two different answers yet similar. LTS said access to the full development kit was limited in some functionality by HIK so that it was not clearly obvious it was rebranded hardware per reseller agreements. Hunt sales gave me the run around saying "if it works with the "Red" brand it should work on ours". Later a tech support individual reached out saying that they were not provided access to the full firmware functionality.

Again, maybe I was reading to much into it, but I was under the impression these companies had some type of additional access/programming rights to customize it. More than just the splash screen - again, could be wrong, or could have been lied to. Honestly neither would surprise me. As loyal as I've been the last 2 years to LTS after switching away from Weisky Tech I find myself migrating more and more to direct HIK international hardware for simplicity. As much as I supported resellers and the service/warranty they just haven't been as good in my opinion as they used to be, not to mention their so slow in getting access to the latest and greatest and their additional hardware features (VCA) are typically lacking.

Last edited:

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
zero-degrees, funny you mention the LTS example. A couple of weeks ago, I called 3 LTS offices and asked about them about Hikvision, just to hear what they would say. Each office had different explanations, with one immediately saying their product is relabelled Hikvision and another one saying they develop their own firmware completely. The best I can tell is that Hikvision does the full firmware development for almost all their OEMs and that they may leave something our or change the GUI, etc., but it's up to Hikvision (as it would be for Dahua for their OEMs) to do that development typically.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought my Hik NVR and some cameras locally for support/ warranty. I've since found that there are no firmware upgrades/ downloads on the Hikvision Australia website and the region locking means I can't use overseas firmware. :banghead:

I did get some later firmware from the dealer, but I've definitely been caught out by assuming there would be equivalent local updates to firmware. I did try an international update for my NVR and got locked out. The dealer supplied the unlock file and that O/S firmware now works. He supplied an Australian firmware that is later than what the NVR came with- but I'm not sure if I'm better sticking with the current overseas firmware (which is most likely a later update!)

PS: I had all the gibberish characters / boxes the same as on that link when I was locked out.
From where/who? I'm in process of doing same thing & don't wish to get caught out. Doesn't appear to be many resellers in Australia & from what I've read some resell Chinese imports. So name & shame.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I called 3 LTS offices and asked about them about Hikvision,
Yea, I've been down that road. The way I understand LTS is they license their locations and each location is independently owned and operated. I've found other locations don't really like to help me unless it's simply taking an order and shipping it (when I try to leverage timezones and my home office isn't open/closed). At any rate last year I found an office and individual that is really straight forward, no sales BS and I've kept my business at that location since. They all seem to be on an island though and their never seems to be a consistent message throughout that company.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
The way I understand LTS is they license their locations and each location is independently owned and operated.
I've not heard that one... LTS does operate very secretively and from talking to people at different offices they do tend to be in the dark about both management and people at other offices.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From where/who? I'm in process of doing same thing & don't wish to get caught out. Doesn't appear to be many resellers in Australia & from what I've read some resell Chinese imports. So name & shame.
The only naming and shaming should go to Hikvision Australia who supply the "region locked" devices and then don't supply firmware updates. I've got no problems with my supplier- he's done nothing wrong and has been very helpful. I tried to order the new DS-2CD2335FWD-I camera from him and Hikvision Australia said they couldn't supply it-> AND promptly removed it from their Aussie website where it was listed as a new product!!! My supplier is losing sales as he can't obtain certain models and doesn't want to import "grey" models and sell them with no support/ warranty.

PS: Here's Hikv Aust download page - try finding any camera/ NVR firmware Hikvision Australia

BTW I just sent Hik Aust an Email asking where the firmware updates for locally sold products are located.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only naming and shaming should go to Hikvision Australia who supply the "region locked" devices and then don't supply firmware updates. I've got no problems with my supplier- he's done nothing wrong and has been very helpful. I tried to order the new DS-2CD2335FWD-I camera from him and Hikvision Australia said they couldn't supply it-> AND promptly removed it from their Aussie website where it was listed as a new product!!! My supplier is losing sales as he can't obtain certain models and doesn't want to import "grey" models and sell them with no support/ warranty.

PS: Here's Hikv Aust download page - try finding any camera/ NVR firmware Hikvision Australia

BTW I just sent Hik Aust an Email asking where the firmware updates for locally sold products are located.
Yeah fair enough. This day & age region locking really is pointless, anti-competitive & anti-productive. And businesses then wonder why consumers look elsewhere.
Once you get a reply back from Hikvision would you mind please posting their response?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am curious what the consensus is here on firmware upgrades for Hikvision products. I am certainly aware of the issue of the region / language / Chinese firmware versions. Beyond that, we have seen some reports of firmware upgrade problems.

So are these firmware upgrade problems with Hikvision products, in your experience, common or uncommon? Anything specifically good or bad that you have found?
Bit different in the UK maybe but if you try contacting Hikvision support they are beyond useless. They suggested to a friend of mine that he couldn't add a new camera because his firmware version was really really old (it was one from the latest). When the firmware update failed and bricked the NVR completely he was told to take it up with his supplier - end of. Luckily I have good relationship with supplier and they moaned about Hikvision support but swapped it. What makes it even worse is that updating the firmware was completely unnecessary. It's like the old days of computer tech support - put the recovery disk in and lose all your data.

For me, firmware updates need to be near fool-proof and for IP cameras they're not.

Yeah fair enough. This day & age region locking really is pointless, anti-competitive & anti-productive. And businesses then wonder why consumers look elsewhere.
Once you get a reply back from Hikvision would you mind please posting their response?
Hikvision don't care about the end-user, they don't really care about the middle-men either IMO. Selling same product in two different regions and not supporting one for being grey imported is one thing. Bricking cameras and scaremongering is quite another. Glad I've moved to Dahua after all these years.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well their response was much what I expected- the question has been ignored...

The supplier of my gear has just launched a firmware download page for their Aussie Hikvision gear- you need to register/ log in to access it. I'm not sure if it also checks if you've actually bought gear from them before allowing access?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well their response was much what I expected- the question has been ignored...

The supplier of my gear has just launched a firmware download page for their Aussie Hikvision gear- you need to register/ log in to access it. I'm not sure if it also checks if you've actually bought gear from them before allowing access?
No surprise by the reply... or lack of.

Are Australia versions not WR serialed? If so, then the Hikvision Europe website ones will work for the cameras.

If I lived in Oz (and still bought Hik) then I'd buy all my Hikvision cameras from AE.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No surprise by the reply... or lack of.

Are Australia versions not WR serialed? If so, then the Hikvision Europe website ones will work for the cameras.

If I lived in Oz (and still bought Hik) then I'd buy all my Hikvision cameras from AE.
No, there's no "WR" in the serial number viewed in the webpage config. It's got "CCRR" and "WCVU" in it. The serial number on the box is just numbers and I can't find a serial number on the actual NVR - it's bolted into a cabinet and I can't see the bottom. Using a mirror there's nothing on the sides or back.

I bought locally for the warranty support- not realising I'd be forced to run out of date firmware. I have been buying my cameras from overseas (cheaper and more models available.)

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have upgraded a a few versions on my IP Cams and not one issue.

I have read that others experience issues, and expected to see the same but never came across them.

Same goes for my NVR.

Reaction score
I just found out that I have received 6 Hikvision cameras and an NVR from LTS out of Chicago 6 months ago, that are not supported by Hikvision. This appears to be current - to date - equipment that did come in the red box - but first clue should have been the two camera boxes that were already opened when I got them and the fact that I had unusual difficulty setting up the equipment! But I was reassured by sales that everything was OK? I am a licensed security dealer - this is unacceptable. Hikvision says it must have been manufactured for another region, but all I know is that this is a RED Blinking Sign that LTS has very poor business practices, to say the least.

Last edited:

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
@DilbertDonald do you mean support by Hikvision USA? LTS sells LTS branded products that only LTS supports and Hikvision branded products that both LTS and Hikvision can support. Did LTS represent otherwise to you or?

Reaction score
@DilbertDonald do you mean support by Hikvision USA? LTS sells LTS branded products that only LTS supports and Hikvision branded products that both LTS and Hikvision can support. Did LTS represent otherwise to you or?
Yes LTS represented this as Hikvision, meaning supported by Hikvision USA - I have an account with Hikvision was a Gold Dealer at one point with them via ADI.

Last edited:

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
@DilbertDonald LTS is right that 'LTS' branded products are Hikvision but LTS branded products are not supported directly by Hikvision USA; that's one of the tradeoffs of the general lower price LTS offers for their branded versions