Hikvision Firmware Upgrade

fonzie

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a Hikivision camera on February 2015 off Amazon (I know it's an unauthorized dealer) and I've heard about the gray market cameras that get bricked when you try to update their firmware. I'm fairly certain that mine is a US version but I want to be 100% sure of it before I try to update to the latest 5.4 firmware.

The box it came in was not a brown box; it was a red and white Hikvision camera box. The serial number also does not contain the letters "CH" in it. Is there anything else I must check before going through with flashing the firmware?

I've been told that the v.5.4 firmware allows you to have multiple image settings and auto switching between them for day/night. For example, I'd like to have a WDR preset for daylight and have it automatically turned off during night. Is this possible with the new firmware? I know it can be set up with a curl script, but if the new firmware offers this, I would rather do it through that.

My camera: DS-2CD2032-I
Current Firmware: V5.2.0 build 140721

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been told that the v.5.4 firmware allows you to have multiple image settings and auto switching between them for day/night. For example, I'd like to have a WDR preset for daylight and have it automatically turned off during night. Is this possible with the new firmware? I know it can be set up with a curl script, but if the new firmware offers this, I would rather do it through that.
only by a time span, not auto i.e. when dust falls.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My Hiks with even older firmware than 5.3 allow you to have separate day and night image settings.

fonzie

n3wb
Reaction score
My Hiks with even older firmware than 5.3 allow you to have separate day and night image settings.
So you're saying that I should be able to have separate settings for day and night with my current firmware? How do I set that up?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

fonzie

n3wb
Reaction score
What region does your serial number specify?
Not sure how to find out what region it specifies. Can posting my serial number on here pose security issues for me?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You don't have to post entire serial number. After the camera model number in the serial number you should see a series of numbers then 4 letters then more numbers. What are the four numbers?

As far as different settings for day an night you must you scheduled rather than auto switch for the " switch day and night" setting. You then have a choice of settings for common, day, and night. Hope this helps.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is now you read HIK serial numbers:

Example for a DVR: DS-7608NI-E2/8P0820160211AAWR123456789WCVU
(IP camera serials are similar)

DS-7608NI-E2/8P <- model name
08 <- input channels
20160211 <- production date YYYYMMDD
A <- CPU freq (A, B, or C)
A <- DSP freq (A, B, or C)
WR <- Region code, see below
123456789 <- serial number
WCVU <- features, see below

Hikvision Region codes:
-------------
CH <- China
TW <- Taiwan
JP <- Japan
EU <- Europe
NA <- USA
WR <- World/multilanguage
HK
BJ
SH
GZ
CD
AS
RR <- Other/unspecified

The region code controls features, not UI language. There is a separate code for language in bootparams
(not in the serial #):

01 <- EN/Multi-language
02 <- Chinese, simplified
03 <- Chinese, traditional

Feature codes:
--------------
W <- Supports web
C <- Supports VT
V <- Supports VGA
L <- Supports LCD
U <- Supports USB"

fonzie

n3wb
Reaction score
Part of my serial number: DS-2CD2032-I20141108CCWR

So judging by your post, my camera is a "WR" or World/Multilanguage

Does this mean I cannot update the firmware?

fonzie

n3wb
Reaction score
That's good to hear. So my follow up question would be:

Which is the best firmware to put on this camera and why?

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should upgrade firmware one step at a time; V5.2 --> V5.3 --> V5.4
Below is a link to firmware and the associated documentation as to what the new revision changes. As to what is best that is your call. Upgrading firmware sometimes brings problems and sometimes eliminates a feature you wanted. Dont upgrade just to do so.

DOWNLOAD PORTAL

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Auto WDR is not a feature that is available on Hik firmware that is online. (Baseline firmware)

Hikvision branded in Australia has Auto WDR in the firmware but its custom made. Not sure about the official Hik branded hardware in other countries.

I can confirm Hikvision chinese model 2345 has Auto WDR.