Hikvision G1 Firmware on DS-2CD2185FWD-I space on micro sd

ethan118

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I think I am facing an issue which is unusual but I hope someone can shed some light or clarify few things on that. Maybe this will help others too.

First of all the cameras DS-2CD2185FWD-I are genuine ones bought from an approved seller in the UK. I have 2 of them.

The issue I am facing is the amount of space it is taking on my Micro SD memory card. Apart from that I do not face any problem at all.

I am using an Original SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC128GB (SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA) . When in use, it tells me I get 119.08GB. My camera is set to record 24/7

Both cameras have exactly identical settings , video resolution with same firmware, same sd cards. There is nothing different. Except where they are both situated around my yard

With the first camera, I get about 20 days.
With the second camera, I get barely 13 or less days

I am using the latest firmware on both DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

Both sd cards are brand new. I even replace the one that I was getting less again with a new one.

1) I cannot understand why one gives me 20 days or more, the other one will give me 13 days or less ? Does the place where you put the camera affect the recording data ? That is the only difference there is. I even tried to reduce the frame rate/bit rate/ max average bit rate. I still cannot understand why I will not get the similar 20 days. ( I reset the camera few times, that did not help either)

2) Also a card of 128gb giving me only 119.98gb, I am losing 8.92gb. I know the reasoning behind this etc. But for me that is nearly a day of 24/7 recording. Does anyone know another memory card suitable for ip cctv camera that will take less internal system memory and offer more available memory ?

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Both cameras have exactly identical settings , video resolution with same firmware, same sd cards. There is nothing different. Except where they are both situated around my yard
Is the bitrate set to constant (CBR) or variable (VBR)?

ethan118

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. I was hoping someone will confirm that for me.
I will have to mess about with my other settings to suit my 30mbps broadband and still be able to watch it abroad flawlessly. what are the implications if I change that to constant ?

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Modern compression (like H264/H265) will vary in how much data a scene takes depending on how much changes from frame to frame.

As for the actual storage vs stated storage, that's going to be the same for all cards unfortunately. The better ones will (in theory) last through more write cycles though.

ethan118

n3wb
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere on this forum a guy tried a 200GB on a 128GB hikvision stated camera. He said everything works fine even the cyclic storage override. I wonder if I get a Samsung/sandisk 256GB will that work fine and get me even more space/ more days without any issue ?