Hikvision I-series NVR Motion Event mask defaults after reboot

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From time to time I need to completely rebuild the motion event mask on all the IP cams connected to my Hikvision 7608NI/I2-8P NVR.

The problem seem to occur if the NVR has been reboot. After startup the NVR seems to be resetting the motion detection mask back to include the full image which is the default setting.

I only know this has occurred because I see an abnormally high number of motion events in any given day which are due to trees and other objects moving in the wind and cars passing on the roadway being detected that would normally be masked out and ignored.

After an NVR reboot, every cam connected to the NVR defaults back to motion event on, dynamic analysis on and the full image is marked with the detection grid. Even cams where motion detection was previously switched off are enabled.

These are all Hikvision IP cams varying from 2332, 2342 and 2335 series.

I always set up the mask for each cam through the NVR mostly using the web interface.

Curiously, no other settings in the IP cams appear to be impacted by the NVR reboot.

I am running the latest firmware for my NVR (v 4.21.005). I believe this issue was present in earlier versions firmware so not necessarily related to the latest release. It's hard to be sure as I don't reboot my NVR very often. Usually only if the firmware is updated or there has been a power outage.

Is anyone else having this problem and know how to retain the motion event masks through an NVR power cycle?

Last edited:

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like this issue has been discussed before. As far back as 2015 and there appears to have been no solution.

The last posts on this subject were:

Hikvision Motion Detection Event Settings Getting Reset
and
Issues with Hikvision 2332-i retaining settings

The suggestions to overcome the problem were:

1. Add the camera as ONVIF interface instead of Hikvision protocol
2. Use Intrusion Detection instead of Motion Detection
3. Create a separate user account on the camera without full admin rights (reported by some users as causing motion detection alerts to stop working altogether).

I could say that I can't believe Hikvision has not addressed this issue in the last few years but I'm not really surprised. I don't understand how it is that commercial users of the Hikvision NVR's have not created more noise about this.