Hikvision IPC Firmware 5.5.0 - released 24 Sept 2017

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unless I missed an earlier post I just discovered that Hikvision has recently released firmware 5.5.0 for a number of its IPC camera including the G1 and R6 series which includes the popular 2342WD and the 2335FWD-I.

It's been a long time between firmware releases for these cams so I thought I would post to make forum members aware.

Link here:

DOWNLOAD PORTAL

Release notes are too long to post here but can be found along with the firmware in the camera specific folder.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a 2385 which came with 5.5. There are a few differences.

1. The ability to enable ssh has been removed in 5.5 (security->security service page)
2. There is a "firmware property" attribute added to the system settings -> Basic information page. My camera has B-R-G1-0 in this field, whatever it means.
3. There is a "diagnose information" button on the maintenance -> upgrade and maintenance screen. This produces a text file of information I guess makes sense to a tech.
4. security -> authentication screen now has an option for web security (digest or digest/basic)
5. user management has a 'security questions' button where you can select security questions and provide answers. not sure what its for yet, haven't played with it.
6. Network Advanced Settings has a new tab, integration protocol, where you can enable/disable hikvision-cgi (and supply an authentication method, digest or digest/basic) and onvif, and create a user list w/ passwords which is differnent from the usual user list.
7. event/video/image panels appear to have no changes that I have seen (but I haven't played with it extensively to determine if there are changes)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
user management has a 'security questions' button where you can select security questions and provide answers. not sure what its for yet, haven't played with it.
That will be for a self-service password reset, as has been done for the NVR firmware.
A good feature, it's been much needed.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I updated on the day of release.

It has messed up my system at present, as they have changed the way IR is handled from a physical sensor, to software decision, hik support have told me.

Where as my cameras used to change automatically when it was low light conditions, to IR seamlessly, leaving a clear visible image before and after, it now does not change until the picture is pitch black, meaning if someone was on my property between dusk, and complete darkness they would not be seen.

2 of my cameras pick up a little corner of lighting from the street, and they will not even change at all, because the software does not think it is dark enough.

I am going to try roll back all 8 cameras this weekend.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Anyone else got the same issues?

Kind Regards

Phill

gringo

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, this software controlling of Day/Night sucks for me too. :wtf:

My problem is missing Gain control. Gain slider appears only when you set Day/Night Switch by schedule.
This is useless to me because the camera becomes colorful only when someone turns on the lights and this can happen randomly
at any time of day or night.
In this moment i'm overwhelmed with false motion alarms caused by picture noise!

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I manually change day/nite mode on all my cameras using sunrise/sunset times via a script.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
can you share the script?
a cron task runs at midnight each day, below, "setparms.sh"... this creates two at jobs which run at sunrise and sunset to change the camera parameters. Logs output to /tmp/setparms for reference purposes

setparams.sh:

#!/bin/sh

SUNRISE=`python /root/cameras/py/getsunrise.py`
SUNSET=`python /root/cameras/py/getsunset.py`

# set time to change shutter speed to 1/500
# and turn wdr on
echo at -f /root/cameras/daytime.sh $SUNRISE > /tmp/setparms
echo at -f /root/cameras/daytime.sh $SUNRISE | sh

# set time to close shutter speed to 1/30
# and set wdr off
echo at -f /root/cameras/nitetime.sh $SUNSET >> /tmp/setparms
echo at -f /root/cameras/nitetime.sh $SUNSET | sh

daytime.sh:

#!/bin/sh

for i in 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245; do
RC=`cat /root/cameras/xml/shutterlevel-1000.xml | \
curl -X PUT -s -d @- http://admin:xxxxxxxxx@172.16.100.$i/ISAPI/Image/channels/1/shutter | \
grep statusCode | \
tr '>' ' ' | tr '<' ' ' | \
awk '{print $2}' `
if [ -n "$RC" ] ; then
if [ $RC -ne 1 ] ; then
echo Error increasing shutter speed on IP address $i
else
echo Increased shutter speed on $i
fi
else
echo Cannot get camera on $i
fi
RC=`cat /root/cameras/xml/wdr-on-50.xml | \
curl -X PUT -s -d @- http://admin:xxxxxxx@172.16.100.$i/ISAPI/Image/channels/1/WDR | \
grep statusCode | \
awk '{print $2}' `
if [ -n "$RC" ] ; then
if [ $RC -ne 1 ] ; then
echo Error enabling WDR on IP address $i
else
echo Enabled WDR on $i
fi
else
echo Cannot get camera on $i
fi
done

nitetime.sh:

#!/bin/sh

for i in 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245; do
RC=`cat /root/cameras/xml/shutterlevel-30.xml | \
curl -X PUT --silent -d @- http://admin:xxxxxxxx@172.16.100.$i/ISAPI/Image/channels/1/shutter | \
grep statusCode | \
awk '{print $2}' `
if [ -n "$RC" ] ; then
if [ $RC -ne 1 ] ; then
echo Error decreasing shutter speed on IP address $i
else
echo Reduced shutter speed on IP address $i
fi
else
echo Did not find camera at IP address $i
fi
RC=`cat /root/cameras/xml/wdr-off.xml | \
curl -X PUT --silent -d @- http://admin:xxxxxxxx@172.16.100.$i/ISAPI/Image/channels/1/WDR | \
grep statusCode | \
awk '{print $2}' `
if [ -n "$RC" ] ; then
if [ $RC -ne 1 ] ; then
echo Error disabling WDR on IP address $i
else
echo Disabled WDR on IP address $i
fi
else
echo Did not find camera at IP address $i
fi
done

py/getsunrise.py:

import ephem
o=ephem.Observer()
o.lat='mylat'
o.long='mylong'
s=ephem.Sun()
s.compute()
print str(ephem.localtime(o.next_rising(s))).replace('.', ' ').split()[1].replace(':', '')[0:4]

py/getsunset.py:

import ephem
o=ephem.Observer()
o.lat='mylat'
o.long='mylong'
s=ephem.Sun()
s.compute()
print str(ephem.localtime(o.next_setting(s))).replace('.', ' ').split()[1].replace(':','')[0:4]

xml/shutterlevel-1000.xml:

<Shutter>
<ShutterLevel>1/1000</ShutterLevel>
</Shutter>

xml/shutterlevel-30.xml:

<Shutter>
<ShutterLevel>1/30</ShutterLevel>
</Shutter>

xml/wdr-off.xml:

<WDR>
<mode>close</mode>
</WDR>

xml/wdr-on-50.xml:

<WDR>
<mode>open</mode>
<WDRLevel>50</WDRLevel>
</WDR>

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
... and, oddly enough, the script does not work with the 5.5 firmware (but works fine with the 5.4.5 firmware)... the CURL commands return an "empty reply from server" error... so it would appear something has changed with the ISAPI interface in 5.5.

I only have one 5.5 camera I toy around with, and I don't use it in my normal camera rotation, so Ive never attempted to run the scripts on it until now.

You cannot "downgrade" from 5.5 to an earlier version, you will get a "version mismatch" error. I know I will not be upgrading my other cameras from 5.4.5 at this point, until the ISAPI functionality is restored.

edit: figured it out... you have to set the "web authentication" to "digest/basic" in order for the http://username:password@ip/ISAPI interface to work.

Last edited:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
... and, oddly enough, the script does not work with the 5.5 firmware (but works fine with the 5.4.5 firmware)... the CURL commands return an "empty reply from server" error... so it would appear something has changed with the ISAPI interface in 5.5.

I only have one 5.5 camera I toy around with, and I don't use it in my normal camera rotation, so Ive never attempted to run the scripts on it until now.

You cannot "downgrade" from 5.5 to an earlier version, you will get a "version mismatch" error. I know I will not be upgrading my other cameras from 5.4.5 at this point, until the ISAPI functionality is restored.

edit: figured it out... you have to set the "web authentication" to "digest/basic" in order for the http://username:password@ip/ISAPI interface to work.
You can also modify your script to hash your username/password before it sends it, which is more secure. Doesn't really matter on a private LAN though.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im surprised more people aren't experiencing the same issues.

I have logged a call with Hikvision Support, but they are saying there are no other reported cases.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can also modify your script to hash your username/password before it sends it, which is more secure. Doesn't really matter on a private LAN though.
Yes, my cameras are not only a private lan, but also on a separate vlan than the rest of my equipment, and the rules on my switch do not allow cross-vlan packet ingress/egress.

Im surprised more people aren't experiencing the same issues. I have logged a call with Hikvision Support, but they are saying there are no other reported cases.
My guess is 5.5 is so new it is not extensively used at the moment.

peraburek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
alarm push notification do not work with FW 5.5.0 and iVMS-4500 - so watch out if you are using push notification for alarms (Notify Surveillance Center) hold on to FW 5.4.5 where this works fine

HikGr

n3wb
Reaction score
alarm push notification do not work with FW 5.5.0 and iVMS-4500 - so watch out if you are using push notification for alarms (Notify Surveillance Center) hold on to FW 5.4.5 where this works fine
Exact Same problem i just destroyed 3 cams with the firmware update 2 cubes no alarm notification, and also my 4MP dome freezes after a day or two after the 5.5.0 firmware... Good job Hikvision.

MKaiser96

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded my TRENDnet TV-IP314PI (relabeled Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I) to FW 5.5.0. There are not functional problems, but the image quality and the noise reduction is much worse than with FW 5.4.0.

Is there any way to downgrade to FW 5.4.0. Can anyone with an official Hikvision IPC contact the support to get information about how to downgrade?

HikGr

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded my TRENDnet TV-IP314PI (relabeled Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I) to FW 5.5.0. There are not functional problems, but the image quality and the noise reduction is much worse than with FW 5.4.0.

Is there any way to downgrade to FW 5.4.0. Can anyone with an official Hikvision IPC contact the support to get information about how to downgrade?
I tried to downgrade by my self and was unsuccessful, i contacted HikVision in my Country and they said its impossible for the user to downgrade from 5.5.0, they also said they had a way to do it if i bring the camera to them but it doesn't work 100% of the times go figure...

If someone else has a solution for downgrading firmware please assist.

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where as my cameras used to change automatically when it was low light conditions, to IR seamlessly, leaving a clear visible image before and after, it now does not change until the picture is pitch black, meaning if someone was on my property between dusk, and complete darkness they would not be seen.
Today I ran a test setup with WDR set on '47'.
Switching to nightview started much earlier than with WDR option turned off.

Can anybody else confirm?

dealpapa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just upgrade 4 camera to 5.5.0. everything is working for me. only thing I need to change is the model in my app ipcamviewer.