Hikvision IR Network Camera DS-2CD2332-I Problems

texastig

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new here. Glad this forum is around.
I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I. I've had it for a long time on POE. It was working fine then it stopped working, couldn't see the video.
I hooked up the power adapter and it still isn't working correctly but I can ping it at 192.0.0.64 but I only get three 'reply from' and the rest are 'Request timed out'.
The infrared lights are on.
On the bracket it has this:
Model: DS-2CD2332-I 4mm
SN: 519079928
Date: 05/2015
SV: V5.3.0_150327
Add: Binjiang District, Hangzhour, China

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the firmware version and the status (active or inactive) using SADP : page 2 here - Tools-Hikvision
If the firmware version is 4.0.8 then it is running in the min-system recovery mode, which is entered after an invalid firmware update or some other problem.

If the firmware is not 4.0.8 -
What IP address does SADP show?
If it's not what you originally set it to, change the PC IP address to be in the same segment and see if the web GUI is accessible.

Have you been using 'port forwarding' for remote access to the camera?
If so - it may have been hacked.
Firmware 5.3.0 is vulnerable to the Hikvision backdoor.
Was this a China market camera, with 'CCCH' in the serial number?

This is how to recover a bricked R0 camera, and update to the backdoor-fixed current firmware :
Unbrick and fully upgrade your R0 / DS-2CD2x32 IP cameras -
R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

texastig

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I downloaded SADP and it doesn't see the camera. The IP address is on the same segment and I can't get to the camera in the web browser.
No, I haven't used port forwarding.
No CCCH in the serial.
The camera is very hot also.
Thanks

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded SADP and it doesn't see the camera.
If it was in the 'min-system recovery mode' SADP would still find it. It doesn't care what IP address range it's on, as long as it's on the same wired network.
No CCCH in the serial.
OK, so not a China region camera then.
The camera is very hot also.
That doesn't sound good - but can be subjective. Can you guess what temperature? Presumably hotter than you've previously noticed.
40-50 DegC with the IR on would not be unusual.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
have you tried powering it up using the 12v input?
It could be that the built-in PoE circuit has died, explaining the heat and 'disappearing' behavior.
Worth a try before chucking it if you haven't already...

texastig

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I've tried the 12v input and another POE switch. Still now working :(

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I hooked up the power adapter and it still isn't working correctly but I can ping it at 192.0.0.64 but I only get three 'reply from' and the rest are 'Request timed out'.
The hardware is functional if you get ping responses.
These stop from 192.0.0.64 when the kernel is booted.
With SADP not able to see it, it sounds like the firmware may have been messed with.
Is there any chance it was accessible from the internet?
As well as bots that reset to defaults and change passwords there are also brickerbots that go further.

If you were curious and wanted to spend the time, the serial console of the camera would provide the detail of what's going on, and likely a chance for recovery.
But if you really want to trash it I'm always on the lookout for 'spares and repairs' Hikvision devices.

texastig

n3wb
Reaction score
Didn't mess with any firmware. It wasn't accessible from the Internet. It was local.
I can send it to you. Send me a message.
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This is accessible via a 4-pin white connector at the edge of the system board on the DS-2CD2332-I.

You need a couple of low-cost items of hardware to establish the physical connection, widely available on the likes of eBay -

A serial TTL to USB convertor, typically a PL2303HX-based one will work well. Often advertised as 'for Arduino'
A wired connector, 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH connector, usually sold in 10-packs.

When it's connected up, the very good terminal program PuTTY can be used to 'listen and talk' to the camera.
Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70)

It's not hard to do - and forum members can help interpret the chat from the camera.