Hikvision latest firmware locked the serial interface completely

ethaniel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I just tried hooking up to my PTZ camera through the serial cable to do a downgrade from 5.6.0 (because 5.6.0 has massive problems with autofocus and autoexposure) and looks like Hikvision completely blocked the serial interface as well.

Here is what happens if i type 55555 and 66666:

Application (V2.20) GD

Input Five '5' In Three SECs

Please Input Five '5' In Three SECs

Download Image To the Internal Flash --five '6'

Get 5 '6', Waiting The *.bin

Waiting for the file...(press 'a' to abort)
It's funny that it's asking for a *.bin file, while the firmware is actually in a digicap.dav file.
Anyways, the serial interface was too slow so I didn't have the time to wait 2 hours for a *.dav file to upload and decided not to risk it (since it was asking for a *.bin anyways).

And here's what happens if I don't enter the 55555:
Application (V2.20) GD

Input Five '5' In Three SECs

Please Input Five '5' In Three SECs

Time Out Go To User Application

r7_103_VE,hardware_id:0

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's funny that it's asking for a *.bin file, while the firmware is actually in a digicap.dav file
A .bin file could be the bootloader, or the bootstrap, or a recovery image - none of which are typically held in the digicap.dav main firmware file.

ethaniel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A .bin file could be the bootloader, or the bootstrap, or a recovery image - none of which are typically held in the digicap.dav main firmware file.
Hikvision support suggested that I tried downgrading via serial and even sent me the old firmware.
Fucking idiots.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision support suggested that I tried downgrading via serial
As they are being unusually helpful - maybe ask them if there is a hidden way to interrupt the bootloader that gives access to the usual bootloader commands that include firmware updates.
What you posted above is not the usual bootloader startup dialogue, it's more like a booted app that's running.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Or is it the PTZ module itself, not the system controller?
Was there just one candidate connector for the serial console?