Hikvision motion detection

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I currently have a couple of Hikvision cameras setup around the house and was playing around with the motion detection today and had a question or 2.

I have logged on directly to the cameras and going into the advance setting then Evens and made sure the Enable Motion Detection was selected.

I then then draw the grid area over the whole picture and set the sensitivity to 80 just ot see how it works, i then selected Notify surveillance center and trigger channel under Linkage method and saved

Under the arming schedule i selected the 7 days and starting at 00:00 to 23:59.

I left it for about 30 mintes and came back looked at the live view and nothing was happening, i checked the log and nothing triggered at all, its a windy day here and trees are blowing all over the joint and nothing triggered.

Am i missing something?

Antitrust

n3wb
Reaction score
I have read in some hikvision documentation they recommend enabling/applying motion detection first, then enabling the linkage methods. Also I think by default the entire screen is selected when enabling motion detection. Try enabling Dynamaic Analysis for motion in the motion events sub menu and enable rules under the general configuration menu.

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OP, did you end up getting this to work?
I am trying to set-up motion detection and am having some trouble. (2x Hik 2332 turret, 1x Hik 2532 mini-dome and 7608N-E2/8P NVR). The cams have F/W 5.2.0 and the NVR has F/W 3.0.8

If I log into each cam directly and setup motion detection/record schedule (selected areas and sensitivity, notify surveillance center and trigger channel) nothing is being recorded in the NVR. If I setup motion detection for each cam when logged into the NVR everything works. Ideally I would like to use the cameras motion detection as there are more options (expert mode with multiple zones and object size detection). I know motion detection is working for both devices because I set-up email alerts and I get alerts from the cams and the NVR simultaneously. Anybody know how to make the camera motion detection trigger the NVR to record? I am even OK with the cams recording 24/7 so long as there is a trigger in the time-line to indicate motion was present. Thanks!

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it seems to be working if I enable motion detection in the NVR and in the camera interface but do not draw any motion areas in the NVR, only draw them in the camera interface. I have been doing lots of tinkering with the expert mode motion detection and so far it is pretty terrible. It either detects nothing or detects everything. There doesn't seem to be a good happy medium between sensitivity and proportion of object size. I have 5 or 6 motion zones on each camera with varying sensitivities/proportion sizes but I am finding only 1/6 zones will detect the motion per recording so objects frequently appear and disappear in recordings. Also the pre-record is not working even though I have it set to 10s in the NVR and the cam interfaces.

I have plenty of HD space, does anybody know if the Hikvision NVRs can record continuously while still marking the timeline/sending email alerts when motion is detected? At least this way as long as one motion detection region catches something I will have the full recording pre/post motion event. I just need these events to be visible in the continuous recording playback so that I am aware of them.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it seems to be working if I enable motion detection in the NVR and in the camera interface but do not draw any motion areas in the NVR, only draw them in the camera interface. I have been doing lots of tinkering with the expert mode motion detection and so far it is pretty terrible. It either detects nothing or detects everything. There doesn't seem to be a good happy medium between sensitivity and proportion of object size. I have 5 or 6 motion zones on each camera with varying sensitivities/proportion sizes but I am finding only 1/6 zones will detect the motion per recording so objects frequently appear and disappear in recordings. Also the pre-record is not working even though I have it set to 10s in the NVR and the cam interfaces.

I have plenty of HD space, does anybody know if the Hikvision NVRs can record continuously while still marking the timeline/sending email alerts when motion is detected? At least this way as long as one motion detection region catches something I will have the full recording pre/post motion event. I just need these events to be visible in the continuous recording playback so that I am aware of them.
I too have found that the motion detection of HIK is not reliable. Therefore I have my NVR on continuous recording and also I have defined motion detection to send me email alerts. In the NVR interface the motion detection events are marked with different colour on top of the continuous (blue color) line and are also listed separetaly in the NVR log. However these motion detected events ARE NOT highlighted on the time line bar in the NVR WEB interface!!!!

In general the NVR web interface has less functionality displayed than the NVR native interface. I believe this answers your question.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread, and gota say that I've found my Hikvison cams / nvr are motion detecting as expected.

I have motion enabled in cameras & motion zones selected and also on the nvr with the same zone areas. (which of course is duplicating things, but hey it works for me)

Edit: Thats using Configuration 'Normal' setting in the camera interface.

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I too have found that the motion detection of HIK is not reliable. Therefore I have my NVR on continuous recording and also I have defined motion detection to send me email alerts. In the NVR interface the motion detection events are marked with different colour on top of the continuous (blue color) line and are also listed separetaly in the NVR log. However these motion detected events ARE NOT highlighted on the time line bar in the NVR WEB interface!!!!

In general the NVR web interface has less functionality displayed than the NVR native interface. I believe this answers your question.
Thanks aster1x.
I did the same thing last night, continuous record schedule with motion detection still active.

I have motion detection enabled in the NVR but no areas created. I am using the cameras web interface to define the motion areas (set in expert mode) so that I have different sensitivities for night/day. I am getting the email alerts that motion is being detected but nothing is showing up on the standalone NVR playback timeline, just the blue continuous record. This is how I had it set-up before I set it to continuous record and the motion events were shown on the NVR timeline so I know it sees it. The only way I have been able to get motion events to show-up now is by using smart search in the NVR but that is a tedious and manual process.

Marinero

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, Did anyone find a way to create marked events in a continuous recording? I have a new Hikvision NVR DS-7716NI-SP. The web interface certainly does not do this. Will the native local control via monitor hardwired to the NVR enable/show events marked on a continuous recording? Thanks.....

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hello, I have a DS NVR-7608 NI-E2 / 8P / A, I want to set continuous recording more movement signaling. how can I do? can you explain? Thank you.

Tulak

n3wb
Reaction score
MAKE sure when motion is set that under Storage Snapshot Enable Event-Triggered Snapshot is on go to edit set 24h for all days (it must be shown blue color)

try reboot ip camera

MAKE sure that time is set same for both set time and device under SYSTEM time settings!

Last edited by a moderator:

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I struggle to understand, for if there is a guide? thanks!!!

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I asked my Italian supplier, told me that what I mean is the smart option, explain: I set my nvr of continuous recording and motion enabled. I go to the playback and I select the top left: smart well-known movements. what do you think? I understand your writing translated because use google translate, I'm Italian. please.

elastic1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. Sorry to post in such an old thread. I found this thread through google because I'm having a problem. I have a Hikvision NVR that is set to record 24x7. It also has motion detection setup so that when I review the footage on my television that is connected to the NVR via HDMI, I can obviously only review where the camera captured motion instead of sifting through nothingness.

However, when I go to playback footage from my laptop instead of using my TV, the device does not show the motions captured, only the solid blue bar showing the 24x7 recordings. Underneath the blue bar, used to be blotches of pink indicating detected motion. How can I get this back? I attached a screen shot of a truck going by which shows motion, but no indication in the playback time bar. Thanks in advance and sorry for necroposting :)

XBJMND2.jpg

TaHzO

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks elastic1 - I'm currently in exactly the same situation you are.
Is there a way to display it in the browser?

I also only see solid blue bar showing the 24x7 recordings.

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all. Sorry to post in such an old thread. I found this thread through google because I'm having a problem. I have a Hikvision NVR that is set to record 24x7. It also has motion detection setup so that when I review the footage on my television that is connected to the NVR via HDMI, I can obviously only review where the camera captured motion instead of sifting through nothingness.

However, when I go to playback footage from my laptop instead of using my TV, the device does not show the motions captured, only the solid blue bar showing the 24x7 recordings. Underneath the blue bar, used to be blotches of pink indicating detected motion. How can I get this back? I attached a screen shot of a truck going by which shows motion, but no indication in the playback time bar. Thanks in advance and sorry for necroposting :)

View attachment 13958
If I'm not wrong, that feature was implemented in firmware version 3.4.80.

TaHzO

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good - however I fear to update at the moment ....

darrenge

n3wb
Reaction score
I have seen this question but I haven't seen any solution to it ... the question that fails to get answered is "how do I set up that my playback footage is in continuous mode AND tags the motion detection?". Currently, my playback just shows the blue bar and it does NOT show any motion detection events. I know motion detection works as I log directly into my NVR and set event like full screen and it pops it to full screen when motion is detected.

Thanks
Darren