Hikvision motion detection

wtwhite

n3wb
Reaction score
This is an old thread but looking for help with Hikvision NVR their English ivms4200 manual mostly just lists buttons and explains nothing. Has anyone figured this out yet?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently, my playback just shows the blue bar and it does NOT show any motion detection events.
From firmware 3.4.80 onwards the NVR web GUI will show motion detection events on the continuous playback timeline.
Updated NVR firmware published - NVR_78_79_EXX_V3.4.80_160718.zip
Requirement to show it on the NVR web GUI (apart from having motion detection enabled and configured) is :
Playback in single-camera view mode.
Whilst playing or paused click the marker selection swizzler at the bottom left of the window and selection Motion.
Last time I looked (3.4.95 firmware), Intrusion Detection and Line Crossing detection markings still don't show (from R0 cameras) though they are selectable.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hik based products have incredible video quality, but the motion detection is weak at best. Both poorly implemented AND explained. At best, you can set it up to provide a ton of false positives. We also do a lot of work with Mobotix cams that have incredible motion detection.

Regrettably, the video quality is often inferior to the Hik stuff despite the Mobi being 4-5x the price.

I wonder aloud who gets there first: Hikvision to reliable motion detection or Mobotix to great video quality in all lighting conditions. Hik with motion detection or Mobotix with video quality. My money is on Hik, especially considering that they announced a partnership with Movidius (Intel-owned company responsible for the collision avoidance software in DJI drones).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hik based products have incredible video quality, but the motion detection is weak at best.
Do you include in this the 'Smart Events' such as Intrusion Detection, Line Crossing detection - or just the basic Motion Detection?
At best, you can set it up to provide a ton of false positives.
These can seriously mitigate the limitations of classic Motion Detection.

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you include in this the 'Smart Events' such as Intrusion Detection, Line Crossing detection - or just the basic Motion Detection?

These can seriously mitigate the limitations of classic Motion Detection.
Hi alastairstevenson,
I've been playing with the intrusion detection the last few days and it does not seem to work that well for me. If you have the time and the will maybe you could help me solve a few things.
The issues I have with it is you must set a threshold of 1 or above. If I set threshold to 0 then it does not trigger. This means if I am recording on intrusion detection the recording will start when the intruder is 1/2 way through the area (at a normal walking pace)
Intrusion detection and line crossing appear to ignore the pre/post record times. This means I cant set the threshold to 1sec then pre-record to 3 to capture the whole event.

I absolutely love the idea of min/max size that would go a LONG way in eliminating false positives however, it would be fantastic if I could set up intrusion detection to record on event with a pre-post record just like stock standard motion detection. Must be some kind of software limitation.

I know it is easy for people to say record everything and just flag events but that's not what I want. I work away for extended periods of time and if something goes wrong I like to play through the whole 4 weeks by just hitting play. It jumps to the next event and I am not at any risk of recording over 4 week old data. I just really like recording event only.

At the moment I use "Advance" mode of motion detection and place squares strategically in different spots which does go a long way in eliminating false positives but the ability to draw a min and max square on ID would be perfect if it would just work as intended. The 1 second threshold is the absolute pits.

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh well, it appears maybe the first part of my "0" threshold problem may have been sensitivity. I just got it to work with 0 by cranking sensitivity right up to 100. I thought 50% would be enough but I was wrong. The wife is putting the baby to sleep so I cant keep walking in/out the front door to test it but I will later and report back if I get it right for the benefit of others.

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
For anyone that follows later,
I found the intrusion detection MUST be set with the NVR first. Once enabled and saved then log into the cameras and configure using the intrusion detection options. Not sure why but if I tried to enable in the camera it would not work unless I enabled it for each camera in the NVR first if that makes sense.

I still have problems where it does not recognize an object moving into the per-defined area sometimes until it is well into the area. I could negate this with pre and post record but smart events dont seem to pay attention to pre/post record so thats useless. I think I can still use it to reduce false negatives though. What I might do is set my intrusion detection area and then use the advanced options in motion detection to create an area at the entry points to the box. These seem to not suffer the same failings of not identifying objects and will also catch a pre/post record. By then if the object moves into the intrusion detection area and is picked up half way it wont matter because the NVR will already be recording.

The intrusion detection area will mean I wont need to spatter little boxes all over the place for motion detection in an attempt to miss areas of reflection/shadows but capture traffic.

That leaves me with the only other short falling with the hikvision cameras. On power outage the cameras all default BACK to "normal" mode in the motion detection areas. However, I have written a short batch script that downloads the xml file off the camera, changes the flag from 0 to 1 and uploads it back. Basically setting the motion detection back to "advance". It seems to hold the settings so all good. Would be nice if hikvision fixed that bug tho.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you please describe in detail how and what (which XML) you download from camera, what do you change (if you change anything) and how you upload the XML back to the camera?

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi aster1x,
I grab http://user:password@192.168.1.64/MotionDetectionExt via curl (not the windows curl, but the real curl. You'll need to install it)
Obviously use the user/pass and IP address of your camera.
I then "search and replace" substituting "normal" for "expert"
Then use curl to place it back onto the camera.

It's funny, I am just looking at having a crack at some android programing so I might end up using this as my first "problem" to try and solve. Put those steps into a small android app so all I have to do is run an app when I am on my network.