Hikvision - Noise/Quality Problem - $50 Reward!

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am getting a ton of Noise/Static on my new Hikvision and Dahua IP Cameras. The best way for me to describe what I am seeing is pulsating or jumping pixels. They can be seen during day and really intensify at night. I am offering a reward to anyone that can help me solve the problem. The reward will be $50 gifted via Paypal. Below I will list steps I have taken to pinpoint the problem:

1. Tried different Camera models
2. Unplugged the NVR from the network to eliminate the possibility that it is a Network issue
3. Plugged the Cameras into a POE injector to remove the NVR from the equation
4. Changed out Ethernet cables to make sure it was not a cable issue
5. Played with all settings in the multiple cameras for almost a week (noise reduction, resolution, bitrate, sharpness, fps, etc.)
6. Moved the NVR and 1 camera to the opposite side of the house to see if there was interference in the original Install location

All these measures did not result in any improvement to the issue. I am absolutely exhausted and frustrated that I can not find the problem. During the day I can set it to Substream and eliminate most of the noise, but obviously I take a huge hit on image quality. Here is my setup:

1. Hikvision - 7716NI-SP/16 16 Channel POE Plug N Play NVR
2. Hikvision - 2CD2642FWD-I 4MP WDR Vari-Focal Bullet
3. Hikvision - 2CD2732F-I Hi Def 3 MP IP Vari-Focal Vandal Dome
4. Dahua - ESIP-PTZMINI12X-1080p 2MP Mini PTZ 12x

Here is a night image: http://i.imgur.com/91eyYEF.jpg

The night image has a lot of lighting due to LED landscape lighting, so the IR does not kick on. Putting it in night mode manually is no better, probably worse. The night image is much different than the day image. The day image is pulsating pixels, you can make out a person, but the pixels everywhere are jumping and pulsating. I will post a daytime image tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for the help. First person to figure this out will get the reward. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am getting a ton of Noise/Static on my new Hikvision and Dahua IP Cameras. The best way for me to describe what I am seeing is pulsating or jumping pixels. They can be seen during day and really intensify at night. I am offering a reward to anyone that can help me solve the problem. The reward will be $50 gifted via Paypal. Below I will list steps I have taken to pinpoint the problem:

1. Tried different Camera models
2. Unplugged the NVR from the network to eliminate the possibility that it is a Network issue
3. Plugged the Cameras into a POE injector to remove the NVR from the equation
4. Changed out Ethernet cables to make sure it was not a cable issue
5. Played with all settings in the multiple cameras for almost a week (noise reduction, resolution, bitrate, sharpness, fps, etc.)
6. Moved the NVR and 1 camera to the opposite side of the house to see if there was interference in the original Install location

All these measures did not result in any improvement to the issue. I am absolutely exhausted and frustrated that I can not find the problem. During the day I can set it to Substream and eliminate most of the noise, but obviously I take a huge hit on image quality. Here is my setup:

1. Hikvision - 7716NI-SP/16 16 Channel POE Plug N Play NVR
2. Hikvision - 2CD2642FWD-I 4MP WDR Vari-Focal Bullet
3. Hikvision - 2CD2732F-I Hi Def 3 MP IP Vari-Focal Vandal Dome
4. Dahua - ESIP-PTZMINI12X-1080p 2MP Mini PTZ 12x

Here is a night image: http://i.imgur.com/91eyYEF.jpg

The night image has a lot of lighting due to LED landscape lighting, so the IR does not kick on. Putting it in night mode manually is no better, probably worse. The night image is much different than the day image. The day image is pulsating pixels, you can make out a person, but the pixels everywhere are jumping and pulsating. I will post a daytime image tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for the help. First person to figure this out will get the reward. Good Luck!
We are here to help for free. The image you posted has the camera in day mode.
These high resolution cameras need more light than the 720p cameras...its the nature of the beast unless you spring for more expensive cameras.
Either add more ambient light or add IR.
Disable WDR
Increase noise reduction.
Post a screenshot of your image settings

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Night is tricky and I understand that. My big concern is the day image. The day image tells me something is wrong. The pixels/static is best described as noise and is pulsating.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Night is tricky and I understand that. My big concern is the day image. The day image tells me something is wrong. The pixels/static is best described as noise and is pulsating.
You will have to post a video...post a video from each of your cams.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any luck talking to support (sometimes they can actually be helpful :notrust:) to see if anyone else had the same issues. Maybe returning or exchanging the NVR.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow...
Do you live under or near high power lines maybe...?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since there's no power lines, what about radio towers or cell phone towers nearby? Would seem more likely with an analog camera, than a digital, in my opinion. I really doubt this would be the problem, but just taking a wild guess that it's some kind of outside interference since it's on multiple cameras of different brands.

I would also suggest a loose wire if it were one camera, but would be an extreme coincidence for all of your cams to have the issue.

If you could post a photo (or preferably video) from the daytime, that would help...The night picture you posted looks about "normal" for running these cams in color mode at night with little ambient light, but if you're getting that kind of image in full daylight, that's not very common.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What else is on your network or near your router, this is interference it comes from many sources, electrical transforms power supplies microwaves, even from a PC screen thanks on its way out.

Also try a different router or make sure the one you have is off, and you logged in to the nvr via the GUI no the web.

Just to be sure it's not network based.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would test the cams using a ready made good quality short cat5e/6, directly near the NVR, It is possible you have accidentally purchased cheap cable.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

You have already got some great free advice, if possible please post a night image and your settings, and a video of day time quality. Then I would suggest a methodical process of elimination.

I would check and eliminate the following and whatever remains then has to be the reason for the poor quality/interference:
Settings, Ethernet cable issues (the cheaper copper-clad aluminium cables are not always reliable), POE issues (NVR), Camera sensor itself may be faulty (can you exchange the camera?), unlikely but dirty power (try a UPS if you have one?), Intereference from another source (take the camera to a friend's home and try it there?)

Cheers

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a very short video from today. You will need to replay it several times to see the pulsating pixels I am talking about. Look to the left side of the image for the most activity. The pixels are almost like a layer on top of the image that distorts it. The pixels or noise pulsates like a heart beat.

Must view in full screen to see problem:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've watched it several times full screen at 1440 and it looks perfect to me.
But it's a surveillance camera, not spec'ed for broadcast quality.
But it still looks perfect.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a very short video from today. You will need to replay it several times to see the pulsating pixels I am talking about. Look to the left side of the image for the most activity. The pixels are almost like a layer on top of the image that distorts it. The pixels or noise pulsates like a heart beat.

Must view in full screen to see problem:
Hi Dave

I must say I don't see anything amiss either. It looks just like mine does. Now I do see what you describe, this is the change of the scene from one key frame to the next. In H.264 mode, A key frame is where the camera records the whole scene. Till the next key frame, the camera will only record changes from the last key frame. If you have a key frame every 10 frames and your frame rate is 10, you have a key frame every 1 second. So at every second, the camera captures the whole scene, the next 9 frames it captures only what has changed. This causes the pulsating effect. Also reduces the bandwidth required.

In MJPEG mode, each frame is a Keyframe. So you won't have this pulsating effect. You will also need more bandwidth.

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to set it to MJPEG mode?

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to set it to MJPEG mode?
You should be able to set MJPEG in the camera's Video stream options. Or in H.264 mode itself increase the key frame to 20 and set framerate to 10. See if the video improves.

Btw video still looks good to me.

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a video at night, this is similar to what i see during the day:

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a video at night, this is similar to what i see during the day:

That is not good, agreed. It looks like IR reflection though. The picture quality itself looks okay.