Hikvision NVR and Motion Detection on IP Camera

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just set up a Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P NVR with a IP Camera that supports ONVIF

For some reason I cannot get the motion detection to work.

Having researched in this forum I downloaded the ONVIF Device Manager and confirmed that the motion detection event seems to be showing up on the camera (see screenshot). It also shows motion detection on it's own web interface.

The Camera ONVIF version shows as 2.04

However I cannot get the NVR to start recording on motion.

I have set the triggering to all day, every day of the week for the camera and the recording schedule to motion all day, every day of the week, but nothing triggers.

If I set it to continuous record that works fine.

Checked I have the latest firmware for the NVR (V3.4.92 build 170228) and the camera (V4.02.R11.00002520.10010.244000..ONVIF 2.4). Camera model is: 50H20L_S39

Have also tried the camera on the PoE connector and via a router with the same results.

Running out of ideas on what else to try, can only assume this is a bug in the NVR ONVIF interface?

Anyone any thoughts on what else I can try?

Barry

Attachments

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think motion detection will only work if you're using HV cameras. I have one Foscam ONVIF camera on my HV NVR and has to be set to continuous record. All my other cams are HV on motion.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My first thought was that your ONVIF camera does not generate ONVIF motion event notifications, but your screenshot shows that it does.
Often that's not the case.

I have 3 non-Hikvision cameras on my 7816N-E2 NVRs that record from motion events OK when connected as ONVIF.
I have the Record Schedule set to 'Event' (Purple) and under Basic Event, Enable Motion Detection is ticked and the Linkage method has 'Notify Surveillance Centre' ticked (probably not needed but I have it anyway) as well as the 'Trigger Channel' ticked for the channel the camera is on.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I guess my Foscam can't generate ONVIF motion event notifications, hence continuous record for it :(

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair, I have enabled the event recording, but I cannot find the "Basic Event" setting you are referring to. Where in the menu's did you find this?

I can only find VCA event settings that the ONVIF Camera does not support.

Barry

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, I see, I was looking on the NVR GUI, not the web interface.

Sadly changing that has not made a difference, only difference on mine is that the Trigger Alarm Output has a tick in it, that I can't seem to turn off, but doesn't sound like it would change anything.

No motion event are shown in the log either.

Anything else that I can check that you can think of?

Barry

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that certainly looks like it should work OK for motion event recording.

I'm wondering if there may be an ONVIF compatibility problem that might be resolved with a camera firmware update.
But a quick look doesn't yield any newer firmware that the version you've quoted. A lot of that around, though, it may be worth a search.

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
Have contacted the place I got the camera from to see if they have any newer drivers, but had a good look and don't think there are.

Must admit it looks more like a problem with the Hikvision NVR than the camera to me.

Sadly I don't have an option of getting a Hikvision camera as it needs to go in a bird box and Hikvision don't do anything small enough, so would be pot luck on getting another ONVIF camera to work it seems :-(

Barry

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have contacted the place I got the camera from to see if they have any newer drivers, but had a good look and don't think there are.

Must admit it looks more like a problem with the Hikvision NVR than the camera to me.

Sadly I don't have an option of getting a Hikvision camera as it needs to go in a bird box and Hikvision don't do anything small enough, so would be pot luck on getting another ONVIF camera to work it seems :-(

Barry
Hikvision has these kind of pinhole cameras but I'm not sure if they are outdoor rated.

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
I did see these, the pinhole end is outdoor temperature rated.

They are prohibitively expensive though as you have to have the box as well as the camera itself, that adds up to £300, more than the NVR and camera I currently have combined.

Regards
Barry

Neilno

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Barry, I know it is a year later but I have only just joined. I am having issues with IP bird box ONVIF ones on a Hikvision NVR after I recently updated the firmware. Continuous looks ok but motion/event doesn't seem to work. I haven't found a fix, I bought two different types of bird box camera from two different suppliers. I have got a Hikvision mini dome in a bird box, which is lovely but bigger than your traditional bird box camera. This box is for starlings so could afford to be a little bigger but if you have a smaller space it may take imagination in order to fit.
I am going to go back to the bird box camera suppliers to see what they say as I have 4 of them and it feels like a bit of a waste now.
Neil.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue I found with ONVIF and Hik NVR motion trigger is that some onvif v2.4 cameras support a different motion engine and the ones I found to work had TTCellMotionEngine as reported by ODM under analytics. There is a but tho - updating the NVR firmware beyond v3.4.62 on my DS-7608NI-E2 rendered this also inoperable, so its a bit of a lottery unfortunately regarding onvif support. They all work fine with whichever CMS the maker supplies but anything else is a coin toss.

I've since switched to generic starvis IP cameras that support the HIK and XM protocols as well as onvif and they work really well, registered to the NVR as Hik cameras. I haven't bothered to upgrade beyond the above firmware version tho, no real need as I see it, given its all working and isolated from the outside world...

Barry P

n3wb
Reaction score
Neilno,

Afraid I never did get the motion detection to work, I just resorted to waiting until birds moved into the box and setting the NVR to permanent record. The resolution of the camera and the size of the disk means that it didn't take up much of the disk space, but it would be much easier if I could get motion detection for the rest of the year when they come in infrequently.

Aengus4h,

Yes I think ONVIF is not much of a "Standard" it is pretty hit and miss on any chance of compatibility unless you have a camera and NVR from the same manufacturer. Sadly the Hikvision and the Starvis one you refer too are prohibitively large or expensive, but I do look from time to time.

Barry

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you may be surprised...

Sony Starvis IMX290 2MP Mini WIFI IP Camera 1080P Pinhole 3.7mm lens 2 Way Audio Alarm SD Card Slot H.265/H.264 ONVIF IP Camera -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

no IR tho so you'd need to add that somehow if required, a small 1 or 2 LED illimunator if you can find, or rig something suitable inside the bird box. That said I ordered the 2.8mm lens option and that had IRcut glass on the back which would need removing for IR assist to work, so best to check before ordering. I since replaced the lens with treeye starlight ones which are an F stop or so faster glass.

Neilno

n3wb
Reaction score
I read that this software ONVIF Device Manager can tell you what version of ONVIF the camera is compatible with and whether it supports the required features. My cameras did work, it was only after the NVR firmware update they stopped so not sure if there is now a mismatch between NVR supported versions of ONVIF and the camera supported version. I got my bird box cameras from Spycameracctv when they first came out 2 years ago and another couple from Handykam.
I'll try the software and see if it reveals anything but thought I would share in case you wanted to test.
Neil.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ODM will tell you what version of onvif it finds and what components are present, but not what it'll be compatible with. That's down to what both ends expect/support and can be hard to get good answers to when from different manufacturers, unfortunately. Even a pure onvif setup can have problems, depending on what CMS they support as some use different versions so you find the one you have won't work with the new camera you bought and of course that CMS won't work with your existing ones...

Like you I found upgrading the firmware on the Hik NVR stopped motion events working, so I reverted to a previous one that did. To me no point having latest firmware if the entire system including cameras now fails to perform the task its there to perform. But then I'm not so concerned about the security updates in the later firmware because of the way I have my network configured.

Neilno

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't realise you could revert, I might try that. I use hikconnect so I guess tradeoffs from reverting firmware to security risk is worth it the cameras begin to motion record. Thanks for that.