Hikvision NVR and Poe injector.

Jeremeyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi I have a DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR running 3 cameras, one of which is a DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZS/P ANPR. My power supply has just died, and I have ordered a new one. Once I have installed it I'm wondering if I can use a Poe injector with the anpr camera to relieve some pressure off the NVR Poe as it's about a 35m run of cable. I'm running a 10TB Seagate Skyhawk and a 2TB Seagate Skyhawk. I recently installed the 10TB and thought maybe that was a bit more demanding on the power supply causing it to die? I'm not sure of the injector brand I have. I have attached a pic of the injector specs

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not see that the POE injector will help.
The NVR supports both 802.3 AT and AF so it should have enough power.
I would remove the 2 TB drive to reduce power and heat.
Make sure the NVR has excellent ventilation, heat kills power supplies.
I would also have system on a good UPS, power spikes kill power supplies.

Jeremeyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I have the NVR on a surge protector, but I think your right about the heat. I had a tv decoder sitting on top of the NVR which puts out a bit of heat so wouldn't have helped the power supply.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've often wondered if cutting a hole in the top of the NVR and using a 140mm computer fan to exhaust would really help?

Jeremeyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've often wondered if cutting a hole in the top of the NVR and using a 140mm computer fan to exhaust would really help?
My thinking exactly. And then disconnect the small NVR fan. I think it will help with the noise too

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My thinking exactly. And then disconnect the small NVR fan. I think it will help with the noise too
Personally I wouldn't do that. In Hikvision NVR's there are 2 small fans. The one that cools the board produces almost no noise. The one on the power supply however is loud.

I don't think you would notice any sound difference disconnecting the first one, and I think it would be detrimental to the PS to disconnect the other.

My suggestion of adding a large would just be to add "additional" cooling.

Jeremeyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Jeremeyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Noctua fan arrived today. The NVR is noticeably quieter. Definitely worth the $35.
Screenshot_20190627-171726.png Screenshot_20190627-174537.png