Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2 wont accept new firmware

Rootsboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I had been lazy and not updated my NVR Firmware for well over a year, its currently on V3.4.90 build 161008.
But upon trying the newer versions, i tried all from V3.4.91 to V3.4.101 and even though it looked like the firmware upgrade had started, finished and rebooted, (quite quick i may add) once the device rebooted, the same V3.4.90 firmware still showed.
I tried this direct to the NVR via usb, and also via web browser. i tried to format the HDD and Reboot, but nothing.
I managed to update the firmware to all the IP cameras attached to the NVR successfully, so i don't understand why this NVR does not want to accept the newer firmware.
Does anyone have any tips of things i could try please?
Or should i not be too worried, it was more for security reasons, but i have a strong password and i have changed the ports.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
here is the link to the folder i was downloading the firmware from:
DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL
Yes, that's the correct firmware source for the DS-7608NI-E2 NVR.
Scratch that idea for the potential cause of not updating ...

Another way to attempt an update, which may give a little more info, would be the Batch Configuration Tool : Batch Config Tool

Rootsboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that's the correct firmware source for the DS-7608NI-E2 NVR.
Scratch that idea for the potential cause of not updating ...

Another way to attempt an update, which may give a little more info, would be the Batch Configuration Tool : Batch Config Tool
Ok i went ahead and downloaded the batch config tool (1.0.0.4) to my mac, loaded the NVR and tried two different firmware up dates, one was V3.4.91 and V3.4.98 both looked like they were uploading and the tool said successful, but once the reboot has happened, the tool still reported that V3.4.90 was installed.

Is there anything else i could be looking at using this tool to resolve the problem?

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 10.42.03 sucsess.png

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 10.43.16.png

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That is very weird.

It's like there is some sort of firmware update lock in place.
I doubt there is a connection with that and the custom management port.

The only time I've seen anything similar was on a Hikvision CN camera running the hacked individually-licenced 'Deiter and Fiona' firmware where the update facility was simply disabled, it didn't go through the motions of pretending it had worked, just ignored any attempts.

It would be interesting to see what's said on the serial console when the update was attempted.
Or try try the update at the bootloader level via the serial console.

Rootsboy

n3wb
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what's said on the serial console when the update was attempted.
Or try try the update at the bootloader level via the serial console.
Not sure if this is starting to get beyond my means, do you have any links on how to do this via OSX?
I am guessing its connecting my MacBook book direct to the NVR, changing some ip address then typing a whole bunch of stuff in Terminal.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The serial console needs a 'TTL serial' interface, most commonly provided by a 'USB to serial TTL convertor', often a PL2303HX-based device.

The computer needs a terminal program that will talk to the virtual COM port that the TTL serial interface will show as.

And to connect to the NVR a wired 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH connector is needed.
All readily found with an eBay search.

Rootsboy

n3wb
Reaction score
The serial console needs a 'TTL serial' interface, most commonly provided by a 'USB to serial TTL convertor', often a PL2303HX-based device.

The computer needs a terminal program that will talk to the virtual COM port that the TTL serial interface will show as.

And to connect to the NVR a wired 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH connector is needed.
All readily found with an eBay search.
Ok thanks so much for the information and links, i will have a good read though it all when i get time, and then see if i want to try and give this a go.