HIKVISION NVR DS-7616N-E2/8P 3.1.0 us firmware Virtual-Host and Smart-Event features

rommycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Upgrading my NVR DS-7616N-E2/8P to 3.3.4 firmware.

7616N-E2 3.3.4

3.3.4 is very nice with a lot of features, specialy Smart-Event, but lacking snap-shot in email-alert.

I found that Smart-Event, line-crossing or region-intrusion, from my camera is more reliable that classic motion detection.
It's killing to receive hundred falses emails alerts because of wind tree, cloud, shade etc.., the time you spend to delete this all.
3.3.4 do the job but lacking snap-shot.

Then I have tried 3.1.0 from us site.
It's still in the old style but offer:
- Virtual-Host that allowing the pc to manage, with a link, an IP-Camera that connected at POE port.
- Camera image setting have more features( 3.3.2 or 3.3.4 have sweep all this) : like smart IR, day&night switch ...etc
- VCA feature that allowing Smart-Event alert that previously set on the camera via virtual-host
- Email alert with snap-shot working with Smart-Event

3.1.0 firmware

Virtual-Host feature

Virtual-Camera link

Manage camera with virtual-host link

VCA feature

Setting Smart-Event on camera via Virtual-Host link

Image setting still there

Telnet enable but coming with protect shell psh

The End

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Re: HIKVISION NVR DS-7616N-E2/8P 3.1.0 us firmware Virtual-Host and Smart-Event featu

@rommycam, thanks for a great post. Do you have the firmware? Would quite like to try that with mine and we have the same NVR!

Edit: Just read your other post! Thanks for posting that too. I'll try it out.

rommycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: HIKVISION NVR DS-7616N-E2/8P 3.1.0 us firmware Virtual-Host and Smart-Event featu

@Del Boy

My DS-7616N-E2/8P at origine had 3.0.8.

Firmware for DS-76xxNI-E2 work fine on 76xxN-E2
Chinese DS-78xxN-E2 3.3.4 build150616 is ok to.

I use this DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware_v3.1.0_150511 from US site :
http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/download_more.asp?id=1497

and Multilanguage from Europe site :
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/

Allway upgrade to higther version of ''Sole-language'' by web-gui and in the order Multilanguage Firmware to Sole-language ( like 3.1.0 us firmware or chinese 3.3.4), this
to ensure that English will remain in web-gui interface and Hdmi/Vga interface, otherwise Hdmi/Vga may have trouble.

Read this post for 3.1.0 :
http://http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4321-DS-7832n-E2-Chinese-to-English?p=41726&viewfull=1#post41726

If you would like to experience 3.3.4, must read this post because it didn't work straight :
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4321-DS-7832n-E2-Chinese-to-English?p=41721&viewfull=1#post41721

Usefull post for trouble shooting NVR recovery with Hikvision tftpserv tool and stuck login screen
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4760-Hikvision-DS-7616NI-SP-Firmware-issue

Last edited by a moderator:

rommycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

A useful post, nice to do the firmware comparison, it's a question many people will have.
On the email snapshots - something odd there, as I tested it on the 3.3.4 firmware on a 7816N-E2 and it seemed to work OK, though others have stated it doesn't work for them either with 3.3.4
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4548-Selecting-a-NVR-maybe-Hikvision-NVR-DS-7608NI-E2-8P?p=40222&viewfull=1#post40222
@alastairstevenson

May be are there some matching trouble with my camera type and firmware, i have tested with two chinese model :
- DS-2CD2132F-IS Firmware Version V5.2.5 build 141201
- DS-2CD2332-I Firmware Version V5.2.5 build 141201

Update:
In fact, because of less reliability of basic motion detection, i had never tested this feature on 76xxN-E2 3.3.4.
And now, after further testing email's snaps shots is working in "Basic motion detection" as you had stated on 78xxN-E2.
And it's still not in "Smart Event" like line crossing (but 3.1.0 do)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

I suppose anything is possible!
My test was with a DS-2CD2132F-IWS fitted with V5.2.5 build 141201 (genuine Hikvision firmware ...) modified to EN via mtdblock5&6 change.
And googlemail.

mayfer

n3wb
Reaction score

Thank you for this great information. My nvr (DS-7608N-E2) from china came preloaded with v3.0.8 build 140825 and language = 1. I backed up mtdblock2 just in case things didn't work out. Via the web interface, I was able to upload USA_Firmware_v3.1.0_150511 from the US site. The upload went well and things seem to work (in English) after the mandatory nvr reboot. Now after the reboot, my language flag is language = 2. Is this because the "real" language of my device = 2? Now am I stuck at 2 forever? How do I get back to language = 1? Should I be concerned about mismatched cameras? How would I go back to my original setup now that I am limited to the protected shell commands? I can no longer cat my original mtdblock2 because of the limited commands.
Thank you

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

If the NVR menus are in English, but getHardInfo shows language=2, then you have a Chinese region NVR running EN firmware. Presumably the serial number includes 'CCCH'.
Further confirmation would be the value of the language byte in mtdblock0 at 0x2E010
The original firmware may have been masquerading the language as 1.
If your cameras are still connecting OK, it may be best to just leave as-is.

However - if you are having problems with language mismatch on your cameras, you should be able to restore to the previous state.

You can use the saved copy of mtdblock2 with Hiktools to re-create the original firmware, though you will need a genuine downloaded copy of the same version of firmware as the source for the header.
The process is somewhat as follows:
In a folder that holds the digicap.dav from a "v3.0.8 build 140825" firmware download for the 7616N-E2/8P NVR and a copy of the Hiktools hiktools05r1.exe, create a folder to drop your saved mtdblock2 in, lets call it temp.
Using a Windows command prompt, change directory (cd) to the folder holding the hiktools05r1.exe and type the command:
hiktools05r1 create digicap.dav temp
This will create a firmware file called temp.dav
Move it somewhere safe, rename it 'digicap.dav'.
This can now be used as a normal firmware file with the web GUI or the tftp updater. The language in the firmware header will match that of the firmware that was downloaded, and can be changed if needed with Hiktools.
Ideally if you update the NVR with it - afterwards you must also restore the NVR device settings saved when it was running the original firmware. Settings files are not usable across different firmware versions.
Hiktools can be found here: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2733-Hikvision-FIRMWARE-TOOLS-change-language-extract-files-and-create-own-firmware

Good luck!

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

@Del Boy

My DS-7616N-E2/8P at origine had 3.0.8.

Firmware for DS-76xxNI-E2 work fine on 76xxN-E2
Chinese DS-78xxN-E2 3.3.4 build150616 is ok to.

I use this DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware_v3.1.0_150511 from US site :
http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/download_more.asp?id=1497

and Multilanguage from Europe site :
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/

Allway upgrade to higther version of ''Sole-language'' by web-gui and in the order Multilanguage Firmware to Sole-language ( like 3.1.0 us firmware or chinese 3.3.4), this
to ensure that English will remain in web-gui interface and Hdmi/Vga interface, otherwise Hdmi/Vga may have trouble.

Read this post for 3.1.0 :
http://http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4321-DS-7832n-E2-Chinese-to-English?p=41726&viewfull=1#post41726

If you would like to experience 3.3.4, must read this post because it didn't work straight :
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4321-DS-7832n-E2-Chinese-to-English?p=41721&viewfull=1#post41721

Usefull post for trouble shooting NVR recovery with Hikvision tftpserv tool and stuck login screen
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4760-Hikvision-DS-7616NI-SP-Firmware-issue

i am trying to use this method to downgrade to us version but for some reason the language still stays in chinese even after using hiktools?
any idea?

mayfer

n3wb
Reaction score

Thank you alastairstevenson. mtdblock0 shows language = 2. I guess all future upgrades will expose the true language = 2 flag which will open the doors to cameras with language mismatch errors. I did make backups and used hiktools to create an original digicap.dav file from my mtdblock2 file. (I haven't used it yet because I am good with the current 3.1.0 software loaded.) I am guessing that as new 4mp cameras pop up, we will all need to upgrade our NVR's for one reason or another. I REALLY wish we could find out how to masquerade the language as 1. Hopefully someone will find a way.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

I guess all future upgrades will expose the true language = 2 flag which will open the doors to cameras with language mismatch errors.
Yes, that is mostly true - certainly if you reset the NVR to factory defaults at any time.
And this is what happens to the CN cameras that have seller-modified firmware to change the apparent region to EN when official Hikvision firmware is applied.

But I have a 7816N-E2 NVR with language=2 in mtdblock0, firmware v3.3.4 which has EN menus both on web GUI and VGA/HDMI which is happy with mtd-hacked-to-English-region cameras connected as Hikvision and no language mismatch.
That's because of the specific sequence of web GUI firmware updates that have maintained the menus as EN. The tftp updater clears out the device configuration.
I have not documented the sequence myself - nor extensively tested it, but there have been recent references such as post #4 in this thread.

rommycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

i am trying to use this method to downgrade to us version but for some reason the language still stays in chinese even after using hiktools?
any idea?
For Origine-Chinese NVR:

Only web-gui "upgrade" from Multi language firmware to higher us or Chinese will maintain Multi language that include English.
Also Multi to Multi is OK .
Now you have to downgrade to euro multi language 3.0.10 for example by tftpserv, then web-gui upgrade again to us firmware.
- Use hiktools to change firmware language flag before all operations.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks all working now with ur instructions

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

still a bit confused, I have a DS-7632N-E2 with a hacked version of 3.0.8 on it making it english, can I upgrade this to run 3.3.4 ok? what are the steps one by one in laymans terms?
will it then still work with my DS2332 cameras that are running 5.2.5 hacked English firmware?

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

still a bit confused, I have a DS-7632N-E2 with a hacked version of 3.0.8 on it making it english, can I upgrade this to run 3.3.4 ok? what are the steps one by one in laymans terms?
will it then still work with my DS2332 cameras that are running 5.2.5 hacked English firmware?
no. your NVR does not start after flashing V3.3.4

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

no. your NVR does not start after flashing V3.3.4
what version can I upgrade to then? anything? and how?

voltron81

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Hi all,
I have an NVR DS-7616N-E2/8P bought from China, mounting firmware V3.0.8 build 140825. I am using it with 8 hikvision camera, from China as well.
I am really interesting on the possibility to upgrade it to this V3.1.0 us firmware, expecially for the virtual host feature.
Reading this post, and others on this forum, I am now quite confuse.
I understood that the required steps are:
1) make a backup of the current firmware, in case something is wrong. How can i make it?
2) firmware upgrade via GUI: do I need to upload the following firmware: DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware_v3.1.0_150511 from US site OR do I need to upload the Multilanguage from Europe site ???
3) do I need to modify the language of those firmware with hikvision firmware tool prior to upload it?
4) may I face problems with cameras, that I suppose are having a chinese firmware 5.2.5?

Thanks

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Hi all,
I have an NVR DS-7616N-E2/8P bought from China, mounting firmware V3.0.8 build 140825. I am using it with 8 hikvision camera, from China as well.
I am really interesting on the possibility to upgrade it to this V3.1.0 us firmware, expecially for the virtual host feature.
1) make a backup of the current firmware, in case something is wrong. How can i make it?
2) firmware upgrade via GUI: do I need to upload the following firmware: DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware_v3.1.0_150511 from US site OR do I need to upload the Multilanguage from Europe site ???
3) do I need to modify the language of those firmware with hikvision firmware tool prior to upload it?
4) may I face problems with cameras, that I suppose are having a chinese firmware 5.2.5?

Thanks
Betternot to change anything
1: it is Useless get a backup MTD, in the new firmware not telnet
2: firmware for DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware will not work properly in Chinese NVR.
3: You won't be able to use Chinese chamber without modifying the firmware.

rommycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Hi all,

Thanks
@voltron81

If you are satisfied with 3.0.8, better keep it.
It's not my case, i need smarts events like line crossing, 3.0.8 lack those features.
Anyway 3.0.8 is useless for me because standard motion detection for outdoor is not reliable.
Despite at delivery my 7616N-E2/8P 3.0.8 show 1 as language region ( it's seem that seller had hacked 3.0.8 firmware to achieve it), I was looking to change firmware that suit my need.
After searching various Hikvision download site there is nowhere to find firmware badging for 76xxN-E2 NVR series.

It sound weird to use 76xxNI-E2 or 78xxN-E2 firmwares for 76xxN-E2 but i decide to give it a try, than it work for me.

- Post #12 in this threads for my camera models.

Now I am happy with US_3.1.0.

Anyway if you are willing to try another version, here below the steps:

1-/
I don't remember at first on the NVR if 3.0.8 it's english only or Multi language. One could verified at login page with language choice list.
If it is, normally you can try to upgrade to 3.1.0 us firmware (it's only English) by webgui, without language flag modified regards to region hack by seller (can be verified with command line "GetHardInfo" by mean of telnet).
- If webgui upgrade report error because of language mismatch - you have to modified 3.1.0 lang-flag to 2 using @whoislooking Hiktools and retry.

-2/
If original 3.0.8 is not Multilanguage do the same operation as paragraph 1.

-3/
If upgrading is successful but chinese only, don't worry, NVR can be reverse by using tftpserv recovery tool
Must recover with euro Multi-lang 76xxNI-E2 3.0.10.
Then webgui upgrade again to 3.1.0 with modified lang flag to 2.

Note: for some reasons euro 3.3.4_150616 corrupt the NVR (recovery possible by tftpserv)

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

what has 3.1.0 got on it that 3.0.8 hasn't? does it allow you to fast forward and reverse at more than 8x ?? does it allow you to record continuously with events marked differently so you can see the difference on the time line? they are the main features I want.