Hikvision NVR DS-9632NI-ST email setup not working

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm trying to setup the email notifications in my NVR for Video Loss and Video Tampering.
We occasionally have cameras quit working so I'd like to know sooner than getting phone calls that the cameras are out.

We have 30 cameras spread between 3 buildings; separate Hikvision poe switches in each building, each connected via fiber. The camera network is segregated on it's own network; via LAN1 on the NVR, the individual users(viewers) connect from our network LAN via LAN2 on the NVR.

I setup the email settings and when I tried a 'test' after approx a minute I would get the "Failed to send test email" message.
I was monitoring our firewall at the same time and I would 'not' see our NVR even try to exit the building(go out to the internet). I kept double checking my email settings, making minor changes and retyping my password etc.

I finally rechecked my 'network' settings where I noticed LAN1 was set as the "Default route". I changed the "Default route" to LAN2.
I'm still getting the "Failed to send test email" message, much quicker now BUT I'm seeing the NVR leave our firewall and access the internet to my smtp server I have setup.
Although, I'm not receiving any 'test emails' either.

I'm using the 'free' version of smtp2go.com email server to send emails. I have other appliances that don't want to work with MSOffice365 emails or gmail. This email server has worked great for other appliances until now.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting the failed message but yet I'm seeing the traffic get through my firewall?

Side note:
I setup email through iVMS and it worked; I get bombed by motion detection emails; I forgot to turn those off before setting up the email settings. So I know the smtp2go.com server settings work.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update:
I tried to switch over to gmail;
change my settings to the gmail smtp settings and got the same results.

As soon as I click "test", I get the popup message "Failed to send test email" AND I'm seeing the NVR (nvr ip address) traffic (email communication) leave our firewall. So it appears the NVR is sending something out but I'm also NOT getting any test emails.

The NVR network is sending out email communication via port 465 or 2525 depending on which email server I setup but it's not "actually" sending out an email because I never get an actual test email.

I'm at a loss what to check or do now, any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With gmail there will be some dependence on the Hikvision NVR firmware revision, and presumably also the model of NVR.
But after gmail made some changes last year that required Hikvision to issue some firmware updates, the general consensus on settings is:
smtp.gmail.com
Port 587
Enable SSL
Enable Authentication
gmail account setting - allow insecure device.

These certainly work fine for me on 7816N-E2 with 3.4.91 firmware.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
alastairstevenson,
thank you for that updated info.
Do you know if I can update my firmware from v3.1.3 straight to the latest version or do I have to do it in ascending order of release?

I'm seeing v3.4.4 as the latest release for mine/US.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know if I can update my firmware from v3.1.3 straight to the latest version or do I have to do it in ascending order of release?
Certainly for the cameras Hikvision specify the intermediate versions should not be skipped. But they do firmware updates file-by-file with a r/w file system, so there could be history remaining and required.
Unlike the 76/78xxN-Ex NVRs which just zap the entire flash partition.

But - I am very loath to make any recommendations for your NVR, a model I'm unfamiliar with. You need to make that judgement call, sorry.

Did you try port 587, and the 'allow insecure devices'?

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the same model nvr with the 3.4.4 firmware. you can set when the video loss...the nvr go beee bee bee. if the nvr is near u, not in the server room.