Hikvision NVR hard drives show as uninitialized after reboot?

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Hik NVR that has been working fine for over a year. We added another camera yesterday and I went to check the motion recordings today. I found none on this new or any other camera. In the storage management area the two drives show as uninitialized with free space as zero? Any idea what caused them to go to that state? I assume I have to start over and format them again?

Any help very much appreciated....

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like NVR was rebooted - then I see exception HDD Error 1 & 2 in the logs. So the reboot caused the HDD to error out?

Before I do anything - I will reboot again and see if they come back.... worth a try.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No luck after reboot - any ideas? I was hoping to bring them back online without loosing what recordings were there....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No luck after reboot - any ideas?
Suggestions :
Disconnect one drive - see if the status of the other changes.
Disconnect the other drive - see if the status of the other changes.
Check out the drives SMART attributes, if that works OK, and see if there are any counts that would indicate a problem.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Suggestions :
Disconnect one drive - see if the status of the other changes.
Disconnect the other drive - see if the status of the other changes.
Check out the drives SMART attributes, if that works OK, and see if there are any counts that would indicate a problem.
Thank you for this - I am off site atm and will have to check #1 and #2 later.

SMART test results (short test)

Drive 1 & 2 information
Temperature = 29 degrees c
Power On = 335Day(s)
Self-evaluation = Pass
All-evaluation = Functional
SMART Information / status = ok

I am a little unclear how to decode the flags / threshold / value / worst / and raw value numbers. I assume the flags are counts and some do go past the threshold.

I also checked for bad sectors - all showed green / normal.

Can a user "deinitialize" the disk? Or was this clearly some hardware event that caused it?

Thanks again for your help .

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well..... I decided to simply reformat the drives. They are now working normally. Wish I knew what cause them to error out after reboot.

I have an alert setup to let me know what of any further disk errors. I should have set up the alert straight away. Live and learn.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Generally the SMART test results are broad brush and can be ok even when a disc is heading for a failure.
The counts in the SMART attributes are much more meaningful, though the interpretation of some of them is manufacturer specific.