Hikvision NVR lost all camera views

dblee50

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-7616 NVR that I've been running for over a year. Several cameras on it. No changes have been made in weeks, if not longer. Today, with monitor on, all camera views disappeared, with error, Network is unreachable. Cameras are connected via ethernet to separate POE switch. I have checked settings, rebooted NVR, to no avail. I can pull SADP up and see cameras are there, I can log into cameras via web browser and see views. I have changed ethernet cables to NVR and tried different ports on switch. No joy. What else can I check? Settings, ie, ip address etc are the same as before and appear correct. thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can pull SADP up and see cameras are there, I can log into cameras via web browser and see views.
But presumably the NVR is not listed.
Did the link detect LED on the switch ports that you have connected the NVR to show as active?
It sounds like the NVR ethernet connection has failed.
Have you tried the network ping test on the NVR VGA/HDMI interface network menu?

dblee50

n3wb
Reaction score
But presumably the NVR is not listed.
Did the link detect LED on the switch ports that you have connected the NVR to show as active?
It sounds like the NVR ethernet connection has failed.
Have you tried the network ping test on the NVR VGA/HDMI interface network menu?
The NVR is no longer showing up on router attached devices page
I reset NVR to DHCP and it came up with a weird IP not even close to my network. I reset ip to what it was before.
There aren't any lights on NVR port, not sure there are any there, but the switch at the other end does light green and flash as if talking to something.
Don't see anything called NVR VGA/HDMI menu. But I tried to ping the ip of the NVR and it timed out. I pinged one of my cameras and it showed up right away.
It doesn't look good. Is there a hard reset for the NVR, don't see anything on menu?

dblee50

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR is no longer showing up on router attached devices page
I reset NVR to DHCP and it came up with a weird IP not even close to my network. I reset ip to what it was before.
There aren't any lights on NVR port, not sure there are any there, but the switch at the other end does light green and flash as if talking to something.
Don't see anything called NVR VGA/HDMI menu. But I tried to ping the ip of the NVR and it timed out. I pinged one of my cameras and it showed up right away.
It doesn't look good. Is there a hard reset for the NVR, don't see anything on menu?
Nevermind. I found the reset.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't see anything called NVR VGA/HDMI menu.
This is the live view / playback / management menu when a monitor and mouse are directly connected to the NVR.
There are usually some network diagnostic facility in the setup or configuration menus.

There aren't any lights on NVR port, not sure there are any there,
I don't think this is something they usually have on the LAN port.

NVR ip does show up on sadp.
I presume you mean 'doesn't show up'.

Where are you based?

dblee50

n3wb
Reaction score
This is the live view / playback / management menu when a monitor and mouse are directly connected to the NVR.
There are usually some network diagnostic facility in the setup or configuration menus.

I don't think this is something they usually have on the LAN port.

I presume you mean 'doesn't show up'.

Where are you based?
No. It shows up with correct ip address, gateway and subnet. It will not ping however

dblee50

n3wb
Reaction score
Update to this issue. I got in a new NVR, not Hikvision, another brand. I was able to setup almost all my cameras without issues. A little learning curve and some software not as userfriendly as I'd like but it's working. Wonder if it's worth trying to get the Hikvision NVR repaired? Or where, or if I could get a new circuit board and swap it out myself?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Where are you based?
And what's the exact NVR model number?

Wonder if it's worth trying to get the Hikvision NVR repaired?
Been there, done that, a few times.
The most common fault has been a TVS (transient voltage suppression) diode failure, presumably due to a wiring-borne high voltage spike, maybe a lightning strike.
But that usually affects the PoE ports as opposed to the LAN interface.

dblee50

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P

Strange, but anything is likely. The NVR was on a UPS with surge protection and my house is on a whole house surge protector. It would be easy to swapout board, but that's probably 90% of whole cost anyway. Strange that NVR IP would show in SADP but not on my router.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Strange that NVR IP would show in SADP but not on my router.
Yes, that's a bit odd.
To show in SADP (presumably at the LAN interface IP address), the ethernet port must be working - and the NVR firmware must be at least partly working to handle the dialogue with SADP.
Any chance you could put up a screenshot of what SADP shows - presumably will include the cameras on the PoE switch?
And the VGA/HDMI interface looks normal apart from the lack of connected cameras?
I'm wondering if something has gone partly awry in the NVR firmware.

dblee50

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, tookk me a while. I temp hooked up nvr to grab sadp info. see below. still would not ping and show in my router attached devices. ID 009 is the hikvision nvr
1657388869625.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I temp hooked up nvr to grab sadp info. see below.
Well, that's really odd.
The SADP listing of the NVR looks perfectly normal.
And it would not show there at all unless the LAN ethernet interface was working.
So scratch that theory of a dead ethernet port.

I'm a bit averse to asking you to check even more things out - but something comes to mind :
The cameras are on the LAN, from their IP addresses, so you are not using the PoE ports on the back of the NVR.
This means that either
The PoE channels have been changed to Manual instead of Plug&Play, and the camera IP addresses manually configured in the NVR channel settings.
or
In the NVR VGA/HDMI interface, the 'PoE Binding Configuration' in Settings | Camera has been disabled for the channels in question, which is in effect the same thing. And again the camera LAN IP addresses have been added.
So it may be worth checking on the NVR VGA/HDMI interface that the channel IP addresses for the cameras are as required, and that the PoE Binding isn't in an enabled state.