Hikvision NVR - Need help selecting a Suitable model

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have been piecing together a small system (currently only 2 cameras but will be about 6 or so when I'm done). I have purchased a 2132F-IWS (FW5.3.0) and a 2332 (fw5.2.5)(still in the post) just about the same time Aliexpress sellers were just about to get the boot from selling Hikvision products. So I only had one NVR in mind which as the 7608NI-E2. However since the suppliers of such products have dwindled I can only purchase from two sellers.

The current 3 models I am looking at are the 7608N-E2, 7608NI-E2 and the 7616NI-E2. There is a big price difference between the 7608N-E2 and the NI version. I have read about compatibility issues between chinese NVR's and English cameras and etc. However the seller assured me the 7608N-E2 will work with both chinese and english cameras as long as they have english firmware. I have read through quite a few pages and am still unsure if the 7608N-E2 will be more compatible with my cameras and future cameras.

My other query is about the recording bandwidth stated on the 7600 series NVR's. The 7608 states 50mbps bandwidth for incomming data while the 7616 states I believe 80mbps incomming bandwidth. On the decoding section it says things like 8ch@720p, 6ch@1080p and for the 7616 It also states 6ch@1080p. I'm not sure if this means with a 7608 I can only run 1080p resolution with 6 cameras, because the 7616 states the same. Or does that mean something like having a max of 6 feeds being viewed at 1080p quality.

I do believe the incomming bandwidth determines the max resolution I can run on the cameras. However I am unsure if the 7608 will allow me to run say 6 cameras at minimum 1080p, while 2MP or 3MP would be preferred or would I need a 7616 for that.

Is the 7616 noisier than the 7608? I will be running a POE switch in the roof cavity with a single uplink to a router but I'm not sure if a 10/100mbps switch would be enough even though the max incomming bandwidth for the NVR would be 80mbps. I can spend a little bit more to get a PoE gigabit switch but it would only have 4 powered ports and 4 unpowered ports. I havent been able to find a 10/100 switch with a gigabit uplink port. I would have liked a PoE 10/100 or even gigabit switch that has a SFP port that can support say a 1.25gbps module or just a gigabit ethernet module.

So basically to sum it up.

1. Will the 7608N-E2 be compatible with my current cameras and future cameras (most likely chinese cameras with english firmware) or is it better to spend the extra (AU$70 or so) for the 7608NI-E2 model. The price gap used to be about AU$150 between the N and NI model until I found another seller.

2.Will I be able to run 6 cameras at 1080p or higher with a 7608 or do I need a 7616?

3. Is the 7616 noisier than the 7608?

4.Will a 10/100mbps switch be enough for a 7608/7616 with say 6 cameras running at a minimum 1080p resolution.

Cheers from Downunder!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1) Yes they should do.
2) 7608 will run 8 cameras at 3MP. Ignore the incoming bandwidth rating, this is a rookie mistake. If it says 8, it's good for 8. If it says 4, it's good for 4. That's for 99% of cases as their are exceptions. Yours isn't.
3) Not that I've noticed, but the 7608 isn't quiet.
4) Yes easily.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply Del Boy!

So even with a 7608N I should not be getting any region/language mismatch problems or other problems I've been reading about? I don't want to spend the better half of $400 and find out I bought the wrong model. It seems that many people from this side of the pond get the 'NI' version instead of just the 'N'. I was just curious as to why that may be.

Is there any reason to go for the NI version over the N?

Ahh, I've read that someone who was running a 7608 wasn't able to run every camera at full resolution and framerate ie. 3MP@20fps, but had to turn down the quality on a few cameras so I was a bit confused.

When you said the 7608 will run 8 cameras at 3MP thats at full 20fps? Would you happen

Does the incomming bandwidth actually represent anything meaningful then? Most specs say 50mbps for 7608 and 80/100mbps for the 7616. The seller said the 7608 is 80mbps and 7616 is 160mbps.

Seller said 3MP camera is about 6mbps, while I've heard anything up to 12mbps but more commonly 10mbps can be expected. That's why I was a bit confused 8*10mbps = 80mbps over limit of stated spec but within spec for what seller states.

I assume the bandwidth limitation comes more into play when using 5MP and 6MP cameras running at a high framerate?

Apologies for the seemingly repetitive questions, I like to get a clear understanding before I go ahead with anything. I always believe there is a catch. Such as the Hikvision NVRs state they can handle 6MP/5MP cameras but what they don't tell you is that I don't believe you can run every camera at full 6MP due to bandwidth.

Cheers,

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The language mismatch relates to the geographical market sector targeted by the firmware. Unfortunately there is no clear notation by HIK for the naming of the firmwares for the cameras and the NVRs. The consecus in the forum is, if the serial number includes the CH characters, then the firmware targets the chinese market (and is cheaper), otherwise it is targeting the US or the western world in general.

The input bandwidth of the NVR relates directly to the ability of the NVR CPU to process and record the total streams from all the cameras to the hard disk. If the hard disk can not write fast enough, then it does not return control to the CPU and the recording may stutter, or the live view may stutter in favour of fluent recording. It is very much like all PCs. The figures quoted by manufacturers (especially HIK) are a bit theoretical. I do not know if HIK has made specific tests.

Also consider that the camera stream is not constant. At the camera settings you define only the maximum bitrate which is achieved when there is motion in the camera view, otherwise the birate is lower. However how much motion is required for the maximum bitrate? So you see it is not possible to define the exact visual parameters that will push the total cameras bitrate at their maximum bitrate.

So configure the cameras for variable Bitrate Type, highest video quality and choose 6-8Mbps Max bitrate and 20fps max. If you realize recording problems then start reducing the Max bitrate until your problems stop. An additional measure to reduce bandwitdh is to define ROI where the ROI area has high bandwidth encoding and everything around the ROI is encoded at lower bitrate.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful reply.

Sadly I still don't know whether to go for the N or the NI version, the NI definitely seems like the safer bet.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Specifications don't mean much if they're not accurate but I guess it's a decent indicator.

I was just hoping to find out for certain if the 7608(E2/8P) will allow me to do 8 cameras at 3MP@20fps or 2MP(1080p)@30fps full bitrate (might reduce later) or at least 6 cameras. I only want to buy the NVR once since it is the most expensive part.

For now it seems like 7608NI-E2 (preferred) or 7616NI-E2, but I don't want to spend more than I really have to.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just noticed the N vs NI VERSIONS on Ali as well but no where can I find the difference. Weird. Painful numbering schemes that Hikvision uses.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the N is the Chinese NVR with English firmware, while the NI is the official overseas/export version.

What I don't know is if there are issues with upgrading firmware and compatibility between english/chinese cameras.

But yeah, the N versions are generally cheaper by quite a bit (enough to buy another camera sometimes). From E&M difference was about AU$160 before.

s4nju

n3wb
Reaction score
Got reply from seller

This NVR DS-7608NI-E2-8P is the full Eng*lish version could update from Hikvision* website.
This NVR is the full English version cou*ld update from Hikvision website.
The DS-7604N-E1/4 is Chinese version, ca*n not update the firmware from the Hikvi*sion website now.

Think i will just pay the extra $50 and get the ni

rommycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NI, "I" mean international ?
Euro site only carry NI model.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NI is the international version. If the difference is only $50 and you don't know what you're doing go for the NI model.

If the difference is only $50 and you do know what you're doing... then probably still go for it!

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bugger....

The store I was planning to buy the NVR from now has taken the hikvision stuff down.

Still haven't made my final decision.

I do believe this has to do with people blabbing about the ali stores that still sell hikvision on here (especially at this sensitive time). As I do believe hikvision read these forums.

pilscoop

n3wb
Reaction score
1) Yes they should do.
2) 7608 will run 8 cameras at 3MP. Ignore the incoming bandwidth rating, this is a rookie mistake. If it says 8, it's good for 8. If it says 4, it's good for 4. That's for 99% of cases as their are exceptions. Yours isn't.
3) Not that I've noticed, but the 7608 isn't quiet.
4) Yes easily.
Can you please explain the rookie mistake?
I'm having trouble understanding the recording limitations of an NVR regarding incoming bandwidth.
As I understand it, if the incoming bandwidth supported by the NVR is greater than the combined bitrate of the main stream + sub-stream of all the connected cameras then it can record all the cameras with no problem.
Is this correct?

Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you please explain the rookie mistake?
I'm having trouble understanding the recording limitations of an NVR regarding incoming bandwidth.
As I understand it, if the incoming bandwidth supported by the NVR is greater than the combined bitrate of the main stream + sub-stream of all the connected cameras then it can record all the cameras with no problem.
Is this correct?

Thanks
Yes that's correct but even 4x 3MP cameras are not going to be more than 40Mbps. Neither are 4x 4MP cameras.

Remember the bitrate is the maximum bitrate and the cameras rarely use that either.