HIKVision NVR setup is driving me crazy.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All I want to do is check my cameras when I am out of my local network........ BUTTTT, it is not that simple. I had 2 Trendnett cameras and all I did was install their app on my Android phone and it just worked. I also was using my Synology NAS as the DVR client for those cams, and again it JUST worked.

Now, have to jump through all kinds of hoops JUST to see my cams from my phone when I am out of my local network. That is crazy. Been reading and watching videos for HOURS, trying to get the CONCEPT into my brain. All this DDNS and VPN is casing my head to spin.

Isn't there some EASY instructions on how to watch my cameras from my phone when I am away from my LAN???

HELP!!

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see you made it here Ronnie... The honest answer is NO

I have sent you a PM

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As regards VPN, I too struggled at first, and the way I found it to work for me was to use a Raspberry Pi as the VPN device with this script doing the setup PiVPN: Simplest setup of OpenVPN

I still had to do a port forward to the ip of that Pi on my router, but it worked.

I found it after using a youtube video

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your trendnet was likely made by Hikvision...it's never just works...what it did was ezpose you to serious security vulnerabilities...you just didn't know it...

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think my Asus RT-AC1900P has a builtin VPN, but still struggling with how to use it.......... what a pain this is.. Just the concept is daunting.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now I am a happy camper. I will delve into running a VPN on my router tomorrow......... I guess that is where I should run it. This is foreign to me....

But appreciate ALL the help I received........... Silas was awesome!!!

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Right now I am a happy camper. I will delve into running a VPN on my router tomorrow......... I guess that is where I should run it. This is foreign to me....

That's why I told you about this place, so much info is available from no bullshit people, helped me big time...

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I had an asus router and am very familiar with the system. Use OPENVPN for your VPN server. Easiest and most secure.

Make sure you have a DDNS name setup in case your IP address ever changes. With asus its "whatveryouwant.asuscomm.com"

Go to your users under openvpn and export the config file. Import that into whatever client your using on your phone.
That is it!

If your using a VPN to view your cameras set the ip address in your ivms phone app to your local hikvision nvr ip address "192.168.1.***"

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had an asus router and am very familiar with the system. Use OPENVPN for your VPN server. Easiest and most secure.

Make sure you have a DDNS name setup in case your IP address ever changes. With asus its "whatveryouwant.asuscomm.com"

Go to your users under openvpn and export the config file. Import that into whatever client your using on your phone.
That is it!

If your using a VPN to view your cameras set the ip address in your ivms phone app to your local hikvision nvr ip address "192.168.1.***"
Thanks for that info.