Hikvision or Axis?

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
hi. So I’ve narrowed down my system choice to either a 4k Hikvision or a mostly 5mp Axis system. Difference is about $2500 more for Axis. I realize I’m posting this on the Hikvision forum but figured I’d get a fairly good reply from those in the know. Thanks.

I guess the question is is hikvision pic quality, features and consistency on par, or maybe even better than Axis?

By the way, the Hikvision system would be all USA models from authorized distributor. So firmware and such shouldn’t be an issue.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are a DIYer, I say go for Hikvision.

Axis cameras can even cook your breakfast if you ask them to do so. But for a first timer, they are probably far too complicated to deal with and 99% of their power will go unused. And you will have a way easier time geting help with Hikvision, than with Axis, since there are a ton more users that use Hikvision.

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
I am a DIY’er but will have cams installed and wired pulled for me. On the other hand the company doing the physical install is also setting up the nvr and all included in cost. I can go either way. I don’t need to have axis cook me breakfast though. Just a good clear pic. Hikvision seems the go to at this point but just realized their vf 8mp bulletins 13” long. My god. Too big.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a DIY’er but will have cams installed and wired pulled for me. On the other hand the company doing the physical install is also setting up the nvr and all included in cost. I can go either way. I don’t need to have axis cook me breakfast though. Just a good clear pic. Hikvision seems the go to at this point but just realized their vf 8mp bulletins 13” long. My god. Too big.
if you want good low light images, see the hikvision low light turret thread...the 8mp will deliver noise in low light...also see the dahua starlight threads...

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
That was my thoughts. So I was leaning towards their P1427-le as my main camera model (5mp ir vf bullet) and was told it was being discontinued. Have replacement model but very limited info on net, if at all. I guess models change often, like cars. No specs yet but some New Zealand sites have basic info. Sounds similar. Back to drawing board. Lol.

Last edited: