Hikvision or other ip cam with temp sensor built in?

h_2_o

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a bit of a strange situation that I am in need of a temp sensor to display on a camera in a particular area. I know this can be done with multiple pieces of hardware but was curious if Hik or any other brands actually had something built in to display temperature in the room it is in.

thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a strange situation that I am in need of a temp sensor to display on a camera in a particular area. I know this can be done with multiple pieces of hardware but was curious if Hik or any other brands actually had something built in to display temperature in the room it is in.

thanks
I dont think a product like this exists...
even if it did you would be at the mercy of the accuracy of the thermometer...you can always point the camera at a large display thermometer :)

montecrypto

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is very easy to add i2c temp sensor to most cameras. I did that a while ago, but the problem is that your sensor needs to extend outside of camera body (preferably below), otherwise you will be measuring camera temperature, not ambient temperature.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is very easy to add i2c temp sensor to most cameras. I did that a while ago, but the problem is that your sensor needs to extend outside of camera body (preferably below), otherwise you will be measuring camera temperature, not ambient temperature.
Most people have trouble telling a private IP address from a public one, and you call this "very easy".

:rofl:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My dad has a very old Stardot Netcam XL that has an internal temperature sensor and a serial port on the back to connect to an external temperature sensor. Both readouts could be displayed on the text overlay.

But there is no way I'd recommend buying one of those today. I don't know of another option that doesn't involve multiple pieces of equipment.

If you just need to remotely monitor a temperature and don't necessarily need it on a camera, try All Environmental Monitoring - New! My AcuRite

If you just want to see the local weather data on your weather cam, try Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! and a nearby public station... and Blue Iris...