Hikvision PTZ firmware update removes auto-tracking deliberately, why?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Following a post on IPCT about cybersecurity I followed a Hikvision link to check for firmware updates, I've got two Hikvision PTZ cameras that presumably they want me to update the firmware, a DS-2DE4A425IW-DE 4 MP PTZ which is in service and as a spare a DS-2DE4A225IW-DE 2MP PTZ. As far as I can see the firmware update would be the same for both cameras.

What I am rather disturbed to read in the release notes is that this firmware update delivers a removal of auto-tracking function?
Why on earth would they do this? Is there some security risk issue with an un-patched camera?

I did try the auto-tracking function some time ago, it seemed to work but the tracking could be captures by car headlights at night, it wasn't a big deal. Auto-tracking is rather low down on my priority list of things to configure, but still I'd rather not have Hikvision screwing with my cameras.
Edit: There may well be a security vulnerability with these cameras that needs patching with new firmware, but why do Hikvision need to remove the auto-tracking function? The attachment is Hikvision's Release Note for this firmware.

Attachments

Last edited:

dstarr

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried the newest firmware from the US page to see if the auto-tracking feature is in that firmware?

The firmware version is: V5.7.11_220905

Following a post on IPCT about cybersecurity I followed a Hikvision link to check for firmware updates, I've got two Hikvision PTZ cameras that presumably they want me to update the firmware, a DS-2DE4A425IW-DE 4 MP PTZ which is in service and as a spare a DS-2DE4A225IW-DE 2MP PTZ. As far as I can see the firmware update would be the same for both cameras.

What I am rather disturbed to read in the release notes is that this firmware update delivers a removal of auto-tracking function?
Why on earth would they do this? Is there some security risk issue with an un-patched camera?

I did try the auto-tracking function some time ago, it seemed to work but the tracking could be captures by car headlights at night, it wasn't a big deal. Auto-tracking is rather low down on my priority list of things to configure, but still I'd rather not have Hikvision screwing with my cameras.
Edit: There may well be a security vulnerability with these cameras that needs patching with new firmware, but why do Hikvision need to remove the auto-tracking function? The attachment is Hikvision's Release Note for this firmware.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They removed it because it was taking away business from their higher priced autotracking cameras, similar to what Dahua did with their sub $400 PTZ. Now you gotta go almost double to get autotracking.

Just don't let the cameras touch the internet and then the security patch is a moot point for you and you keep the tracking firmware...

dstarr

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree with you, however they just released a new firmware on the us site and was wondering if this breaks the auto-tracking feature. In the release notes, it doesn't say anything about removing this feature.

The firmware is all the way on the bottom.

They removed it because it was taking away business from their higher priced autotracking cameras, similar to what Dahua did with their sub $400 PTZ. Now you gotta go almost double to get autotracking.

Just don't let the cameras touch the internet and then the security patch is a moot point for you and you keep the tracking firmware...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with you, however they just released a new firmware on the us site and was wondering if this breaks the auto-tracking feature. In the release notes, it doesn't say anything about removing this feature.

The firmware is all the way on the bottom.
I don't have that model, but if the previous version eliminated it, then there is no need to address it in the next release unless it was added back.