Hikvision PTZ patrol stops for no reason

Stratoman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new Hikvision PTZ camera and new NVR. Both work well. I have set up a patrol of 3 preset positions for the camera via the NVR ( sit at each position for 15 seconds and then moves to next). Camera runs 24/7 for this patrol.
Everything works perfectly, but sometimes of course when I am not nearby , the camera will stop at one position.
Once I hit the patrol button again, camera moves again and will work for another 18 hours or longer and then stop again.
I did an upgrade to the firm ware for the NVR. Hoping that might fix the problem. I haven't look at the settings in the camera yet. That is the next step.
Someone mentioned PARK setting which I haven't been able to look at yet.
Anyone have any ideas, appreciate it.

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did u do patrol over NVR or directly on PTZ camera? If u did on NVR, do it on PTZ directly, might be communication problem between those 2

Stratoman

n3wb
Reaction score
I did make the patrol on the NVR. I never connected to the camera with a laptop.
It seems to work perfectly for 20 hours a day and then stops moving.
Once I hit call patrol 1 on the NVR it starts right up and works again for 20 or so hours.
I was reading about the PARK feature. As I haven't hooked up to the camera directly, is it possible the PARK setting is engaged and causing it to pause? Thanks for any assistance.

Clucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this still an issue? I am looking at a hikvsion PTZ colorvu camera to replace 3 cameras by having them use a patrol zone and im worried that 24/7 movement like that would reduce the lifespan significantly

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this still an issue? I am looking at a hikvsion PTZ colorvu camera to replace 3 cameras by having them use a patrol zone and im worried that 24/7 movement like that would reduce the lifespan significantly
PTZs are a compliment to an existing system and not replacements for fixed cameras.

Unless you are putting up the expensive industrial PTZs (tens of thousands of dollars), you will wear these out quickly having them on patrol.

You don't want to do pan/scan as the PTZs are only rated for so many "cycles" and folks that have used patrol have had the system become inoperable as a PTZ after a couple years. One person locked theirs up in a year.

Plus, while the PTZ is in motion in a pan/scan, it will not be able to identify and start tracking. It needs to sit stationary for a few to allow the tracking rules to be established and then start checking motion against it.

Plus, if it is cycling it can be avoided by a perp and miss the action.

So with only PTZs and no additional fixed cameras - what happens when 2 or more people come up to your house - the PTZ is only catching and tracking one of them, not all of them.

PTZs are not perfect and can lose tracking. Then you miss the person.

What happens when the PTZ is looking left and a perp comes from the right?

That is why PTZs are not a replacement for fixed cameras - they are a compliment to an existing system.

If you rely on a PTZ only it will miss many instances, especially when it is off tracking something else.

You are much better off using fixed cams as spotter cams to point the PTZ to where the action is and then let the autotracking take over from there.

See this thread on how a PTZ compliments a fixed camera system.