Hikvision random (NO LONGER) frame rate changes

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2x Hikvision DS-2CD2346G2-IU IP cameras. I set them both to 20 FPS and a few days ago and haven't touched their configurations since.

I've just discovered that one has reset itself to 4 FPS and the other to 10 FPS. Also other settings such as bitrates and video encoding have also changed without input from me.

What causes this to happen? Is it possible to prevent it?

I should note that we had a power outage earlier but I can't think why (effectively) turning a camera off and on should change its settings.

Any clues would be gratefully received!

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
I should note that we had a power outage earlier but I can't think why (effectively) turning a camera off and on should change its settings.
I had another power outage this morning and, guess what, both cameras reset themselves again. This is unlikely to be a coincidence.

So, I've set about testing by cutting & restoring power backwards through my system:

Individual cameras
PoE switch
Router
Blue Iris PC (Power down)
Blue Iris PC (Unplug)
Main circuit board (Whole house)

It was only the MCB (i.e. emulating total power outage) that caused the cameras to reset so that at least highlights the cause.

Is this to be expected and I just have to live with it?

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
I never did get to the bottom of this and it still happens. Despite saving the settings I want via the direct configuration page to the cameras, if I get a power outage they reset themselves to their original settings.

PLEASE: Is there any way to prevent this? It seems daft!

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
have you updated the firmware ? sometimes you have to factory it complete, not only user settings, also nrtwork etc (sometimes more than once) after update.. ive seen the same problem of some of my cameras...

so factory it to default several times, set your settings (do not import saved config, set manually) and see if it changes

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
have you updated the firmware ? sometimes you have to factory it (sometimes more than once) after update.. ive seen the same problem of some of my cameras...

so factory it several times, set your settings (do not import saved config, set manually) and see if it changes
Thanks, I'll try that.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Could be a firmware bug? I’ve seen similar behaviour with my Dahu 5231-ze cams with specific firmware versions.

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I've found (with great difficulty!) more-recent firmware, moving from 5.5.150_200927 to 5.5.160_210416 on both cameras.

I did a factory restore on one camera (and re-entered all my settings) but not the other. I then cut the power (PoE) to both cameras and hey presto all the settings were retained on both! Time will tell if a full power outage will be OK but I'm happy for now.

Incidentally, the new firmware has increased the frame rate options from 20 fps to 25 fps.

So, thanks again for the update suggestion and I hope I'm not back here again after the next thunder storm!