Hikvision recommendation: 2 storey driveway <$200

JohnH

n3wb
Reaction score
[h=3]Hi All,

I'm looking for a cheap IP camera to setup above my driveway as a tech/hobby project. I'd prefer to purchase off ebay and have been searching this forum but would like some advise on the model that best suits my application.

Info:
* Camera to be mounted under eave on 2nd storey
* Camera overlooking 2 car wide driveway, driveway is 8-10m long and runs slightly uphill towards road
* There is a streetlight next to driveway on the road which lights it up reasonably well all night
* Considering 4mm camera
* Budget conscious ($100-$200)
* Will run off a POE switch I already have and use PC/iphone to view camera live (no recording initially)
* Might add an nvr as budget allows in future (I have run cat6 cables to all corners of the roof for the future)
* I have an IT background, might want to upgrade firmware later, need English config/menus
* Vandals are not a known issue as I live in a quiet neighbourhood but prefer dome style

Models I have found that are in budget:
* Hikvision DS-2CD2135F-IWS 3MP
* Hikvision DS-2CD3145F-I 4MP
* HIKVISION DS-2CD2142FWD-I 4MP
* Hikvision DS-2CD2155F-IS 5MP (A thread on here recommended buying 4mp instead of this one due to fps?)

[/h][h=3]
Questions:
* What camera do you recommend and why (these or others)
* What lens? (Is 4mm best for 2 storey?)

[/h]

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know the differences between all the models. Longer lenses are in general better in my opinion, you get more useful detail. Mounting the camera lower in general is better if you're trying to identify a person's face, instead of seeing only the top of their head, or their hoodie or baseball cap.

Just FYI, in a few years of running cameras, so far we had one prowler come up the driveway. I had a few cameras running but the best image was from a camera with a 16mm lens looking at the driveway from the side fence around shoulder height. You might worry such a low mount position is vulnerable, but this one isn't too visible or accessible from the front due to a large and very thorny bush more or less surrounding it. Or you can artfully conceal cameras in purpose-built birdhouses or other decor.

Some people want their cameras to be clearly visible as a deterrent. If that's your preference you can always put up a cheap decoy housing somewhere obvious. In our case the prowler we had never even looked up, he didn't seem to have any interest in cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your going to get far better results mounting it on the first story.. and 6mm is the minimum you put on a driveway.. and to ID someone at 8-10m you'd be better off with 8mm-12mm

http://ipvm.com/calculator <-- learn to use this and keep ppf > 100

That high up you will only see the tops of heads, not faces.. and you'll be pointed at the ground, so there will be absolutely no distant objects in frame.

20ft high mounting only works well when your using massive amounts of zoom (think greater than 60mm).. because the angles are less harsh the further away your looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnH

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info, a few things for me to consider there.

I like the idea of a top level overall camera still, but I could add another lower camera to the get detail of faces etc.

See the image below for my setup, the garage doors are recessed into a brick house to I could mount there or possible directly to the brick under/above the lantern style light that I have between the garage doors. I don't want it to look like fort knox which is why I had considered the eave camera, one at eye level on the front might be a bit glaring which is why I put the red dot location low rather than the green one.

What camera options are the for <$100-$200 for this scenario? ([FONT=&quot]DS-2CD2135F-IS[/FONT])

House Camera Locations.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cameras are so ubiquitous now your over-estimating how much the'll be noticed.. of course you'll see it, and maby some criminals.. but for everyone else they are background noise; not even a glitch in the matrix will make it obvious to em.

install over-view cameras lastly, after you get your ID cameras up.. that way if an ID camera dont work out, you can move it up and make it an over-view camera.. this is where varifocal cameras come in handy, you can dial it in to whatever framing is best.

dont use domes outdoors; they suck nuts.. you want a turret style and they are alot less intimidating looking.

JohnH

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, well I don't want something that sucks nuts :D

I'll consider a turrent, maybe a DS-2CD2635F-IS VF 2.7-12mm would be within my budget to play around with. Is the lens focus motorised or manual?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if they just say varifocal then they are usually manual, should say motorized if it is actually motorized.. dig in specs, if motorized is not specified; its manual.

motorized is easier to setup initially; but once setup they are functionally equivalent.