Hilarious, how to move someone blocking your driveway

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm guessing there was a bumper-to-bumper rope/chain but I couldn't see the details. Brilliant!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In some ways it would be more fun to have the vehicle towed and impounded. Bigger inconvenience and expense for the idiot.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tis funny for sure but a question. Over there do you have right of access from the road onto the drive regardless?

Here in the UK you have a right of access from the drive onto the road, but not the other way round. So you shouldn't block someone if they are on the drive but it's not illegal to park across the drive if they are not parked on it. Sure you'd p*ss off the property owner but there's lots who don't seem to care.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 'good guy' got inside the OODA Loop of the legal process... knowing that a call to the authorities would've been fruitless, maddening waste of time. He (non-confrontationally) put a series of events into motion which transferred the impetus to action on the correct entities. Master stroke!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here in the UK you have a right of access from the drive onto the road, but not the other way round. So you shouldn't block someone if they are on the drive but it's not illegal to park across the drive if they are not parked on it. Sure you'd p*ss off the property owner but there's lots who don't seem to care.
Why waste lawmakers' time if you're going to end up passing a law so half-assed. Either you can or cannot block a driveway legally....going in or out should not matter...it's your frickin' driveway!:angry:

The icing on the cake would have been if the cops had smelled alcohol on his breath (he's been inside, on his own property legally drinking), administered a sobriety test, he fails (cops assume he was drunk when he parked like that but can't prove it) and they cite or arrest him for being drunk in public (now he's walking around in the street). I would pay $10 to see that. At the very least they should cite him for parking like a moron, perpendicular to the curb.

Kudos to the driver with the rope / chain. I'd buy him a drink.

Here in rural Alabama, 3 out of every 4 vehicles is a pickup truck, most are 4WD and half of those are Diesels.....and ALL have ropes and chains in the bed for pulling folks out of mud / ditches and fallen trees / big limbs out of the roadway that are blocking it. And they LOVE to show off what they can pull with it...need I say more? :cool:

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The law here is that you have a right of access to the road. Your driveway is not a road, hence you have a right of access from the drive onto the road, but not the other way around. Basically while amusing and kinda understandable, moving that vehicle could well contravene the law, especially as it was left deliberately blocking the road and may then have caused an accident. Damage to the vehicle moved could also cause action against the person who pulled it out of his way. Just because you can do it doesn't make it right if the law isn't on your side, wonder what would've happened if the black and white drove up as he was doing that, he'd probably have been arrested no?

There have been cases here of drives being blocked when a vehicle is obviously on it, persistent offenders have found that their car has been moved and that's fine, even breaking a window to release the parking brake, since they wot parked committed an offense. I recall one where the idiot kept parking across the drive of a block of flats, preventing several people getting out. Police involved, notes left he still did it. So they smashed his window, brakes off and rolled it out the way, then smeared pink blancmange all over the inside of it so he'd get the message. He was livid apparently but police reminded him of the offense he was committing and would take no action against whoever did the deed. He never did it again :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The law here is that you have a right of access to the road. Your driveway is not a road, hence you have a right of access from the drive onto the road, but not the other way around.
:)
I know, you've said that. Add that to one of many reasons why I could not live in the UK.
Just because you can do it doesn't make it right if the law isn't on your side, wonder what would've happened if the black and white drove up as he was doing that, he'd probably have been arrested no?
Yep, and I would agree..it's a chance he took.

So they smashed his window............
And I guess that's somehow tolerated in this instance?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
re smashing the window, yep. You have a right to move/remove the vehicle and if that's the only way... plus in that case he'd been spoken to by the police numerous times and ignored them so using their discretion they didn't pursue the matter. Besides which they'd not have been able to prove who did it, not a lot of cctv around back then.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I was working late one night and when I got home someone was blocking my driveway. I just let most of the air out of one tire. Enough left so that he would drive off and may not notice it right away. I did not want him to let the air our of the tires on the wife's car parked in the driveway.