Hisilicon camera HI3507 access only by LAN, not by WAN

dasia9

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new PTZ dome camera from Chinavision (CVYY-I411, the brand is Hi3507 Hisilicon, device type RS7507H). The camera can be accessed with Internet Explorer, after installation of an ActiveX widget RSAV.exe. Inside the camera are several dip switches, which I left at default settings: baud rate 2400 bps, dome address code: 1, control protocol: PELCO-D self adaption.

The camera is connected by LAN to the router, a Vigor Draytek router 2700. Inside the LAN the camera is accessible without problems.

The camera has default settings for ports HTTP: 80, RTSP: 554, RCFG: 8001. As I have several other IP cameras connected, I opened for every camera separate HTTP-ports starting 1080, every camera has fixed IP, DHCP is unchecked. All existing IP cameras can be accessed inside the LAN or from outside without any problem.

For the existing cameras I did not need port redirection, only the corresponding open port in the router, to have access over the Internet to the camera.
With the new dome camera I also tried public HTTP-port forwarding to the private port, the same for RTSP and RCFG-ports, with no change. Inside the LAN the camera can be accessed without problems, but not over the Internet.

parameter-settings HI3507.jpg

The problem is not related to the router, I tried with another router from AVM, unfortunately always the same result: the existing cameras have access by LAN and over Internet, the new dome camera can only be accessed inside the LAN.

settings router.jpg

Anyone has an idea, what might cause this camera, not to be accessed from outside the LAN ? Any help is highly appreciated, thanks all

dasia9

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum. In the image attached i dont see that your forwarded the rtsp or rcfg ports. Make sure those are forwarded and check....
For what its worth it looks like they are using gadspot firmware http://www.gadspot.com.tw/download/gsw32_IE_manual.pdf

You are right with the hardcopy of the router settings, but I have already tried lot of port changes, including the corresponding RTSP- and RCFG-Ports, with no different result.
The manual that you mentioned is axactly the manual, which came with the camera.settings router-updated.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You have the wrong start and end ports on the last two...keep the start and end ports the same.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My old IPS cameras have the same web UI. Heh.

I've had cameras before that inexplicably refuse to be accessible remotely via the internet when assigned a static IP address. Though I suspect it was a firmware glitch and the firmware was proprietary to a different manufacturer. It is a long shot but try DHCP instead of static IP and update your port forwarding rules to use the new dynamic address and see if that helps.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see a VPN & Remote Access section of your router config; I'd suggest you setup a VPN to access your cams and you wont have to expose your cameras to the internet at all.

Much safer practice than port forwarding to IPCam's full of backdoors and poor security.

dasia9

n3wb
Reaction score
Open port changes as Fenderman proposed unfortunately don't resolve the problem.

Vigor-settings-hardcopy.jpg

IE has the same display, if it is by public IP or dyn.DNS.

IE-hardcopy.jpg no-ip-hardcopy.jpg

I would suspect any setting of the camera, please look system settings. DDNS & UPNP -settings are off. DynDNS is updated normally from the router.

Hi3507-system-settings-hardcopy.jpg Hi3507-DDNS&UPNP-settings-hardcopy.jpg

dasia9

n3wb
Reaction score
I see a VPN & Remote Access section of your router config; I'd suggest you setup a VPN to access your cams and you wont have to expose your cameras to the internet at all.

Much safer practice than port forwarding to IPCam's full of backdoors and poor security.
Hi nayr,
Thanks for the suggestion, I agree absolutely.
I needed some time to setup a VPN. Finally, VPN works fine, but unfortunately the same result: no access to this camera. All other devices have access via VPN, but not this camera.

dasia9

n3wb
Reaction score
You have the wrong start and end ports on the last two...keep the start and end ports the same.
Hi fenderman,
With the same start and end ports for HTTP, RTSP and RCFG: unfortunately no remote access via internet
Another odd observation:
inside the home-network: every ping from the PC receives a reply, a ping from the router has all packets lost.
A ping via VPN from the PC has all packets lost.
Would you have another suggestion, other then hardware fault ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you assign this camera a static IP address, or did you use DHCP? I recommend using DHCP -- as I mentioned before I've had cameras where this mattered for no justifiable reason. You may be able to configure in your router which address your camera will get. Look for a "Static DHCP" section in the router's interface, possibly near the normal DHCP options.

dasia9

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you assign this camera a static IP address, or did you use DHCP? I recommend using DHCP -- as I mentioned before I've had cameras where this mattered for no justifiable reason. You may be able to configure in your router which address your camera will get. Look for a "Static DHCP" section in the router's interface, possibly near the normal DHCP options.
The router has the option to strictly bind a device to a certain IP, but this does not guarantee that a device with DHCP setting acqires this prefixed IP. Most other devices acquire this fixed IP, but not this camera. The result is to have for every access a different IP for the camera, and even this IP (assigned by DHCP) gives no access via internet.settings router-strict-bind.jpg
So to be able to locate the camera I prefer the fixed IP in the camera settings.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is unfortunate. I have no other ideas on how you might fix this, but there are options to work around the issue.

You might try a proxy program like stunnel: https://www.stunnel.org/index.html but this will only proxy the web server as far as I know, not RTSP or anything else. You might need to use something that can speak RTSP, like Blue Iris or my free Camera Proxy application linked in my signature. Either of those should work to pull video from the camera, and then their own web servers will be able to send video over your VPN or WAN via port forwarding.

dasia9

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi bp2008,
the camera is mounted in a residence in an exposed hill area, which is not occupied for several months every year.
I have thought about such a solution, but I suppose this will need a PC running uninterupted. That's what I would like to avoid.
Poor electricty and telecom cable conditions create particular risks, especially electricty surges for all connected devices. I have installed over the years considerable lightning and surge protection, but nevertheless every lightning nearby produces certain damages. As for now, at least 1 router is grilled every year.
So I would welcome every solution without permanent PC online.

Last edited by a moderator: