Home automation, Blue Iris, LPR, etc. show me the way

murphys_law

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just joined today!

I’ve got a dedicated core i7 pc with a fair bit of ram and blue iris running, which I will be integrating into my home automation(Home Assistant.)

I’m looking to use some cheap indoor cameras for motion/presence detection, and security when gone(I have an alarm and presence with the home automation.)

Also looking to get full coverage around my approx 1 acre yard/lot, along with possibly doing some LPT later to feed into the home automation for firing events.

Currently I have a wyze cam inside for learning the ropes of blue iris. The next step is to buy something decent for the indoor part of he system and start from there.

Lastly I will be adding a doorbell camera, and have been looking at a German company called “Doorbird.”

Anyone using doorbird? Any recommendations for indoor cameras? I won’t be using nest or anything cloud/subscription based. I have everything hosted locally and will be keeping it that way!

Thanks in advance, hopefully I can start to add to this community as my knowledge grows.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money

Some Wyze cameras will not work with BI. There are a number of posts on Wyze. Do not use any wifi cameras.

I use annke I61DR and Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW . The annke is no long available.

Search around the forum most dahua and some hikvision cameras are reviewed.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just joined today!

I’ve got a dedicated core i7 pc with a fair bit of ram and blue iris running, which I will be integrating into my home automation(Home Assistant.)

I’m looking to use some cheap indoor cameras for motion/presence detection, and security when gone(I have an alarm and presence with the home automation.)

Also looking to get full coverage around my approx 1 acre yard/lot, along with possibly doing some LPT later to feed into the home automation for firing events.

Currently I have a wyze cam inside for learning the ropes of blue iris. The next step is to buy something decent for the indoor part of he system and start from there.

Lastly I will be adding a doorbell camera, and have been looking at a German company called “Doorbird.”

Anyone using doorbird? Any recommendations for indoor cameras? I won’t be using nest or anything cloud/subscription based. I have everything hosted locally and will be keeping it that way!

Thanks in advance, hopefully I can start to add to this community as my knowledge grows.
Welcome @murphys_law

It will take some time to learn this, so I suggest:

Start with one decent starlight camera to get the hang of FOV and quality of image capture for low light conditions - this is a good camera to start with.
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

murphys_law

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money

Some Wyze cameras will not work with BI. There are a number of posts on Wyze. Do not use any wifi cameras.

I use annke I61DR and Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW . The annke is no long available.

Search around the forum most dahua and some hikvision cameras are reviewed.
I’m currently using the wyze cam simply to walk myself around blue iris. It’s already installed and streaming, so no worries there(and it’s only temporary.) As you’ve mentioned all of the cameras I’m planning to installed will be hard wired, so another thing not to be concerned with.

That being said I have seen a few posts about the dahua cameras here, and reviews look to be positive but I had heard absolutely nothing about them prior to doing some reading here.

I’m not worried about spending a little money to get good results, and will buy the best I can afford so that I future proof myself as much as possible.

I’ll head over to the wiki and cliff notes to get started. Thanks!

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The dahua starlight 2mp turret camera is outstanding at night. You do not hear about dahua is that they are used by professional installers. A number of brand name cameras are made by dahua.

The dahua cameras have all sorts of quality levels. Be careful of the cameras on eBay or amazon. If the camera indicates not upgradable do not purchase. If the part number has a C-A do not purchase. The best place to buy dahua cameras is a member of the forum, andy. On Amazon EMPIRETECH .

@EMPIRETECANDY

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Search the forum andy does an outstanding job and has very fast shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

murphys_law

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The dahua starlight 2mp turret camera is outstanding at night. You do not hear about dahua is that they are used by professional installers. A number of brand name cameras are made by dahua.

The dahua cameras have all sorts of quality levels. Be careful of the cameras on eBay or amazon. If the camera indicates not upgradable do not purchase. If the part number has a C-A do not purchase. The best place to buy dahua cameras is a member of the forum, andy. On Amazon EMPIRETECH .

@EMPIRETECANDY

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Search the forum andy does an outstanding job and has very fast shipping.
Thanks for the heads up! Looking at them now.

Last edited by a moderator: