Home Automation, Lights and Locks.

jesseallen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey this is my second post here. My dad has gone berserk with upgrading/adding to our home security and automation setup. Last month he got our cameras upgraded and now is looking for some good brands for automation. The research work has been assigned to me and so far I've covered Cisco, Leviton for lights and network stuff and Kwikset for locks. How many of you use/have used these or seen them in action? I also found an online store for Kwikset and Leviton (discounts) so would like some recommendations on those. Thank you.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ZWave is what you want.. if its not Z-Wave, dont bother.

I use domoticz as my logic engine, but ifyou want something more plug'n'play i hear SmartThings hub is a nice off the shelf logic engine.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey this is my second post here. My dad has gone berserk with upgrading/adding to our home security and automation setup. Last month he got our cameras upgraded and now is looking for some good brands for automation. The research work has been assigned to me and so far I've covered Cisco, Leviton for lights and network stuff and Kwikset for locks. How many of you use/have used these or seen them in action? I also found an online store for Kwikset and Leviton (discounts) so would like some recommendations on those. Thank you.
Your post implies you have an existing security / automation system (beyond cameras). For better advice, please describe your current system(s) and the house (age, sq footage, number of floors).

Unless you have something worth reusing / adapting already in the house, zwave is the protocol that makes the most sense, but UBP works well too.

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive got numerous zwave outlets n relays installed, work great thru my alarm system and alarm.com. Thermostat too..

3 Schlage digital locks although there not smart home connected. also a ct100 thermostat that's zwave. only issue is I've has 2 zwave ge outlets stop working. most of my other zwave relays are AOtech inwall relays.
Check out aeotech for all sorts of sensors.

If u go as suggested for zwave.

jesseallen

n3wb
Reaction score

I use domoticz as my logic engine, but ifyou want something more plug'n'play i hear SmartThings hub is a nice off the shelf logic engine.
Your post implies you have an existing security / automation system (beyond cameras). For better advice, please describe your current system(s) and the house (age, sq footage, number of floors).

Unless you have something worth reusing / adapting already in the house, zwave is the protocol that makes the most sense, but UBP works well too.
Thank you for the suggestions. The house isn't very old, and we had a renovation done about two years ago. And our existing system consists of network surveillance cameras. We haven't started with automation yet.

My dad is pondering over zigbee instead of z-wave(as if he would do any work), so does anyone have a first hand experience with the technologies?

Ive got numerous zwave outlets n relays installed, work great thru my alarm system and alarm.com. Thermostat too..

3 Schlage digital locks although there not smart home connected. also a ct100 thermostat that's zwave. only issue is I've has 2 zwave ge outlets stop working. most of my other zwave relays are AOtech inwall relays.
Check out aeotech for all sorts of sensors.

If u go as suggested for zwave.
Are Schalge better as compared to Kwikset? We are getting are setup done by Security Store USA and they have recommended Kwikset (perhaps there is some partnership) and they look good to me.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Schalge > Kwikset

Zigbee is a cluster fuck, no guarantee another Zigbee device will communicate with your existing ones.. do some googling on Z-Wave vs Zigbee

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sure things have changed in the realm of digital locks and deadbolts so best u do some recent inquiry on the subject.

At the time, several years ago....
Kwikset was one of the first to be reported as hacked. Mostly due to there use of only 5 buttons. I couldn't find any info on the schlage getting hacked. just for added precaution I didn't go with the wireless / connected versions. My entry codes for the locks are different from the alarm system. Even if they hack the lock they then have to figure out the alarm code. :)

One thing to note, schlage offers a manual or antilock version door handle. the manual version you can physically turn the unlock knob on the inside so door stays unlocked or leave in locked position and it will require the code each time for entry to room or house.

All of mine can be overridden with a master key, the new ones I've seen at Lowe's don't have a master key.
With any key lock there is the potential for bumping.
Schlage keypad has a 10key face. I recommend setting several codes, you will leave dirt and wear on the keys that will identify the ones used. several people using different codes will make this very difficult. imagine this with Kwikset if you only have 5 keys to pick from.

There have been reports of the schlage locks malfunctioning breaking or dislodging a pin inside. of my 3 and 1 a friend has installed I have not encountered this issue.

For best prices amazon has the door handle version for $89.99 via email notification every few months. also the best everyday prices I found.

jesseallen

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I haven't been around a good internet connection for the past few weeks and hence the late reply. In this while, I've managed to convince my dad for Z-wave and Schlage for the door locks. He was actually quite adamant on Kwikset's smartcode touch-based locks and on his spending spree got it as well. As if he'll add a second door. We have finally settled on a plan with our vendor/installer combination company and the deals are done. So thank you once again for all the help.

traymay21

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad i bumped into this thread. We just moved so need to get all of these. Thanks for all the info.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Think twice about kwikset's smart key cylinders.
https://youtu.be/sR-h64WwfW8?t=95
Schlage's z-wave lockset cylinders are also easy to open. The lock is only one small part of a secure system. I don't trust it alone for anything.

I use a Schlage with their typical Type C, 5 Pin cylinder, with replacement pins and two springs. Still possible for me to unlock it without the correct key, but a bit more difficult than stock. It's too bad that the more complex cylinder locks are ridiculously expensive, and none available as connected locks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nobody picks front door locks when a firmly planted boot will open almost all of them, in a fraction of the time.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nobody picks front door locks when a firmly planted boot will open almost all of them, in a fraction of the time.
I wasn't talking about picking, but I agree with your sentiment. A properly outfitted socket wrench can open a smart key lock in <10 seconds (the video I liked to takes way too long to communicate this point). If you're handy with a bump key a lot of locks can be opened in <5 seconds. Kicking a door open would take a lot of people more than 10 seconds (a lot of people haven't mastered this skill / the physics involved) and leaves a really nice boot print on the door.

Actual picks depending on your skill level could take a few minutes by comparison.

Ultimately locks are only part of the solution.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And for stronger doors + frames + deadbolts, windows are also very easy to break.

I'm not concerned with security of a connected lock. Initial deterrents, security system trigger points, and followup alarm deterrents are plenty for most homes. Home invasions aren't typically like carefully orchestrated breakins that movies may portray.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no but I've seen alot of entries to sheds, back doors, and side garage doors pulled off quite deftly with a swift kick.. the weakest point is just leaving the damn door unlocked on accident and your only as secure as your weakest point, smart lock will at least relock its self so thats a step in the right direction.

most people dont re-enforce the entry ways until they have been breached, I had my front door kicked in to take an original nintendo and again later I loaned a nintendo 64 to a friend and he got his door kicked in for it.. sigh.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no but I've seen alot of entries to sheds, back doors, and side garage doors pulled off quite deftly with a swift kick.. the weakest point is just leaving the damn door unlocked on accident and your only as secure as your weakest point, smart lock will at least relock its self so thats a step in the right direction.

most people dont re-enforce the entry ways until they have been breached, I had my front door kicked in to take an original nintendo and again later I loaned a nintendo 64 to a friend and he got his door kicked in for it.. sigh.
I had a car broken into 10 years ago. they tore the passenger side lock out the side sheet metal with some bar (and I assume hammer), and tried to get into the empty trunk (and failed - the trunk isn't an easy one to get into). They got some "xenon flashlight" I had in the car and some cheap used Eclipse headunit that was code-locked. There wasn't anything else of value to steal in the first place, other than the entire car. The cost to repair the damage was pretty bad. Was cheapest to get a new door, trunk lid, and get them painted.

The damage is many times worse than the items taken...

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I leave my urban daily assault vehicle unlocked and with nothing of value in it.. come to think of it the vehicle itself ain't worth much. Sure does run well!

Any one who wants to steal, damage will. We can only prevent to the best of our abilities. Neighbor once had a grand in damage to her car so they could steal an iphone which was quickly rendered useless remotely. Thieves suck.

Anyhow, what's up with the HA OP?

J

Jacksonlee

Post edited by fenderman to be more direct and clear.

Hello, I am @Jacksonlee,a spammer and work for locksmithdavie.co I spam forums. This company cannot be trusted as they spam fourms. Stay away from locksmithdavie.co

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like a sham website.... is that David Ducovny giving testimonial to your locksmith?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Can you give a quick over-view of the pros of z-wave over others? do you know of any BI integration? I'm considering going this way rather than trying to run wires to a sea-level device. I could do a lot more with zwave anyways.