Home Automation System + Garage Door Control?

dalepa

Reaction score
My remote to my garage door opener has been giving me grief lately by taking forever to open, (even after replacing the battery) so I figured it's time find a better way.

I've seen the hacks for bluetooth control, but not really interested in a DYI project... gogogate.com looks exactly what I'm looking for, but for $180 i'd rather get a complete system...

Any suggestions here on a Home Automation system (like the Vera) that can also control my garage door like gogogate?

Update: Craftsman Assurelink looks perfect.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Liftmaster MyQ on my liftmaster openers and am happy with it. What kind of opener do you have?

dalepa

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Craftsman with just a plain car openers.

I really want the auto close feature with the Crafsman Assurelink and the android app control is a bonus to help check status. Can't tell you how many time either I forget to close the garage when leaving, or I wake up in the morning to find the garage door open by one of the kids...

I use Liftmaster MyQ on my liftmaster openers and am happy with it. What kind of opener do you have?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smarthome Insteon has a monitor/opener too. Haven't installed one yet, but may do it at some point in the future, for the same reasons you said of a door being left open accidentally by someone on two or four legs ;) (tripping the safety beam while the door is closing) But, I'll probably hang a cube camera in the garage first.

Thing is, with insteon, you pretty much need a Universal Devices ISY box (runs Java) as a central hub on your network to most easily add insteon modules and link + program them. There now is an insteon hub, but I haven't used that.

dalepa

Reaction score
I just picked up the Crafsman Assurelink ($90) at my local sears and took 5 minutes to setup... Just had to replace my garage button with the new button and plug the link into my router.... Logged into the the web site,and app... It just works... nice!

Really like to auto-close after 1/5/10 minute feature... No more doors left open...

Nice logging and email/push alerting too..

spin_prod_946508112.jpe

Kyle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey,

On my Vera system I have this relay connected to my garage door. http://store.homeseer.com/store/Evolve-LFM-20-Z-Wave-Relay-Fixture-Module-P1007C178.aspx

Pretty much I have my Vera to turn that relay on (opens the garage door) and 5 seconds later it shuts the relay off.. so the button on my phone acts like the garage door button. I also have a wireless alarm sensor that hooks up to my alarm so I know if it's open or closed.

I went one step further and setup my Vera to text me if the door is open for more than 30 minutes(gf loves to leave it open lol)

When I get home later tn, I go give you the links to the alarm contact I use.. I'm at work now

-Kyle

Last edited:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just picked up the Crafsman Assurelink ($90) at my local sears and took 5 minutes to setup... Just had to replace my garage button with the new button and plug the link into my router.... Logged into the the web site,and app... It just works... nice!
Really like to auto-close after 1/5/10 minute feature... No more doors left open...
Pretty neat. Thanks for sharing. Learn something new every day.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 682
That's the exact same system as the MyQ but the MyQ is less money. It's literally the exact same and works on both Liftmaster and Craftsman. If you're looking to save a few dollars and can return it (Amazon) then here is the system I got.

http://flark.it/888LM and http://flark.it/828LM