Home Intercom Advice

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've installed that unit years ago. I thought it worked very well. Audio was clear and very simple to setup. I believe it had a couple of holiday ringtones and stuff and you can add a camera to it if you want. I have in possession a Dahua IP video intercom with 7" touchscreen inside stations that I will be installing in a few weeks. I will probably bench test it this week as well. From what I was told, it can record visitors that ring the doorbell, you can view IPC cameras on the inside stations, and within a few firmwares, it will call smartphones.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using the VT06110B. What do you mean video feed? You don't want to see who is at your door?

201305913676785.jpg

and these for inside, they have newer models, but when I ordered them, the newer ones were not out yet

201407074351560.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool. What i meant was, in this install, the user wants intercom ability from room to room say from an upstairs kids bedroom where video is not really needed so i figured some money can be saved...but it looks like these units are about 200 give or take so its not too bad and on par with the OnQ. I would be very interested in how they work talking between each other say from the basement to the upstairs bedroom...audio quality and ease of use...If they work well i have at least 3 applications for this...

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They do not have video feed from unit to unit. There isn't a camera on the inside stations. I'm going to power them up this week and test them out. I am pretty sure I will be impressed knowing how
Dahua makes their products. The inside stations can talk to each other, and like I said, since these are IP intercoms, and Dahua based, if you have Dahua IP cameras, you can view them on
the 7 inch screen from what I was told.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, thats all i wanted between the units, audio...If i can get video from the cameras up, then that would be AWESOME!

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Video from the front door and other cameras on central intercom ... sweet.

Do they do whole house central audio playback too?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
icerabbit, no, I am sure they do not do whole house audio.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@vector18, I spoke with a distributor and they indicated that the dahua units cannot function as a true intercom. They just "call" the other units but the person on the other end must "answer" the call.....

Last edited by a moderator:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You mean handsfree? For me, that is ok though. I still like that it's a 7" touchscreen and IP based which means in the future, it can be integrated with more and more things.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Than placement of the units is a key factor. In my case, this customer just wants to be able to ring upstairs, have their kids come to the intercom when they hear it ringing, answer it, than speak to their parents. Alot of times, they have headphones on, blasting the TV, in the bathroom, etc. So, it might even be convient to have it keep ringing until they answer it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
:D its a good way to wake em up in the morning too...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got Cisco Multi-Line Touchscreen IP Phones in each room; I run a VoIP Phone server that rings our cell phones/home phones on a specific line.. each phone has a hot extension you can quickly access that will call another room and then force an auto-answer on speakerphone for our internal intercom.. There is an All call extension that forces each phone to ring a conference room on speakerphone with local microphone muted..

The phone in the kitchen has a speed dial button setup that calls each room and plays a dinner bell ringing; and the one in the living room has a button to mute the TV.

each phone has a XML UI to interface with security system and I can push a URL to any/all phones with a JPG image and auto-refresh; next up is loading an IP camera up on the phone when an alarm goes off.. Supposedly they can play RSTP streams but I suspect I may need to setup a server to transcode it to the expected format.

Ive got 5 incoming lines (2 personal, 2 work for me and wife) plus a toll free number for family/emergencies and my phone bill averages about $8/mo

I can call in remotely from my devices and enter a specific sequence of commands (setup in speed dial) that does the All call but with microphones enabled.. this lets me listen in each room when on vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The phones would be kind of bulky, but if there is a way to integrate a front door bell to them, it might be a viable solution.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got Cisco Multi-Line Touchscreen IP Phones in each room; I run a VoIP Phone server that rings our cell phones/home phones on a specific line.. each phone has a hot extension you can quickly access that will call another room and then force an auto-answer on speakerphone for our internal intercom.. There is an All call extension that forces each phone to ring a conference room on speakerphone with local microphone muted..

The phone in the kitchen has a speed dial button setup that calls each room and plays a dinner bell ringing; and the one in the living room has a button to mute the TV.

each phone has a XML UI to interface with security system and I can push a URL to any/all phones with a JPG image and auto-refresh; next up is loading an IP camera up on the phone when an alarm goes off.. Supposedly they can play RSTP streams but I suspect I may need to setup a server to transcode it to the expected format.

Ive got 5 incoming lines (2 personal, 2 work for me and wife) plus a toll free number for family/emergencies and my phone bill averages about $8/mo

I can call in remotely from my devices and enter a specific sequence of commands (setup in speed dial) that does the All call but with microphones enabled.. this lets me listen in each room when on vacation.
... :hypnotysed:

In the mean time we're paying $40 per line and $70 per smartphone :sick: Which of course you are offsetting with VOIP numbers and advanced equipment. So you are running SPA500 series? Like SPA525G2? What is required on the server and software side for IP PBX? I like our phone setup because it can handle three lines and is focused on mobility, but your high-tech setup of course sparks ideas ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
40 per line and 70 per smart phone? what kind of service do you have for landline cellular...both sound high...

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
$70 is per smartphone shared 700 min + 2GB/line with Big Red ... alternatives are there, but either I suffer with less to no rural coverage or
I get less allowance and then outside of the home area = roaming, neither of which do you any good if you are on the road a lot.

$40 is per land line with a re-branded Big Red / affiliate sister company. No real alternative or desire to switch companies. It wouldn't save me any money unless I bundled with the cable co (and I have a serious aversion to big cable and phone). Between alarm, fax, ... and limited internet service as it is, I need a minimum of one land line. So I'm supporting the local carrier, even if they're sending most of my payment through to the big guy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess landlines can be a problem if you have limited internet service. Optimum charges 15 dollar for each additional line if you have the triple play, fios charges 10. Alarm, fax, etc work with no issue over cable/fios lines.
Why do you still have a shared minute plan...you can have an unlimited talk plan for less with verizon. How many cell lines do you have?