Home security system.

mikes02ls1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello newbie here from Casa Grande (AZ). I have a house which was built in a 96 and was wired for a home security. Magnets on the windows were shot or missing the main box is gone I cut the wiring and ripped it out. How hard is it to rewire a house for a home security system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
completely rewiring a house after it's built is pretty difficult if you care about how it looks. The best case would be to reuse as much of the existing wiring as possible and just replace components like magnetic contacts, motion detectors, keypads, and the control panel. From the sound of things you've made this more difficult that it needed to be and you may have damaged things and you likely no longer have any idea what's on a particular zone.

Post some pictures of the state of your alarm system including the components you removed and components that remain. It would also be helpful to list the zones and what's on them, known issues with particular zones, and a bit more about the house (size, number of stories, basement/crawlspace/attic). Info about your skill level with electronics and construction would also be useful.

If an alarm is installed at construction they typically use recessed press fit sensors that you don't see unless you open the window or door.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score