Home use Dahua NVR: What is the difference between NVR2104HS-P-S2 and NVR4104HS-4KS2? Cam help??

steve_

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
Looking to buy Dahua hardware for my first home security project.
Primary needs:
- 2-3 cameras
- Zone activity detection for anyone entering special zone WITH push notifications to Android / IOS
- 1 HDD is fine. I wont be doing full time recording. Mainly for peace of mind and to ditch my existing per-month security services.
- All Dahua NVR and camera equipment for maximum compatibility

I found the Aliexpress Dahua franchise store - looks like they have tons of selection!

I'm trying to tell the difference between
1. NVR4104-P-4KS2 - smart mini NVR 4ch POE
2. NVR2104HS-P-S2 - 4 Channel POE NVR Compact 1U 4PoE

Also, could anyone recommend Dahua branded video cameras? I do not need PZT or fancy functionality. Home based monitoring for front door, driveway, back yard etc. I'm looking at a few options:
(anybody have a sense of 2MP or 4MP is better for home use? They need to be POE of course)

1. WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm IPC-HDW5231R-Z (Seems pretty expensive - SD card unnecessary)
2. IPC-HDW4233C-A - might do the job? $50 is reasonable
3. IPC-HDW4431C-A - whats the difference between #2 & #3?

Just feeling overwhelmed - so many options!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have some studying to do. :)

The two cams 2 & 3, are china region cams with hacked to english firmware. Avoid for a variety of reasons.

If you can't find the exact model number of the item you are looking at here: Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology it's most likely a China region version.

If you try to do it cheap, you will be back here like many have looking for upgrades 6 months from now. :)
Buy once, cry once.

Our preferred seller around here: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Looking for some advice and direction!

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

steve_

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for orienting a major noob like me :)

I will read up!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You also dont want to ditch any alarm services unless you have another alarm system replacement...cameras cannot replace an alarm system.