Honeywell 20P or 21IP?

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Apologies to all the long-timers here if it looks like I'm all over the map (from my other threads), but the more I read the more it seems like putting a system together using something like a Honeywell 20P or 21IP might provide for a more robust, reliable system. I see the differences between the two, but I have some questions.

1. The 21IP includes the Honeywell IP communicator, but this seems to be a closed solution with Honeywell's own service. Is this correct? If so, what is the cost for using the Honeywell service versus an alternative (assuming one were to go with the 20P and add-ons... below)?

2. Neither the 20P nor 21IP come stock with a GSM solution. It seems a GSM can be added to the 21IP, but I'm not sure if one is available for the 20P.

3. For any wireless connectivity I'd have to add something like the 6160RF, yes?

4. It seems an add-on IP communicator is available for the 20P, so it looks like this would allow for a more open IP based connectivity solution (assuming I'm right about the 21IP having a Honeywell-only IP solution).

5. I'm not sure I understand what the System Enhancement Module does for the 20P. Remote access and control?

6. It seems like for some devices, like wireless smoke detectors, only Honeywell devices can be used. Is this true?

7. What would be the most cost effective option for system monitoring by a security company, along the lines of what Amazon/Ring now offers (at a great price)?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Apologies to all the long-timers here if it looks like I'm all over the map (from my other threads), but the more I read the more it seems like putting a system together using something like a Honeywell 20P or 21IP might provide for a more robust, reliable system. I see the differences between the two, but I have some questions.

1. The 21IP includes the Honeywell IP communicator, but this seems to be a closed solution with Honeywell's own service. Is this correct? If so, what is the cost for using the Honeywell service versus an alternative (assuming one were to go with the 20P and add-ons... below)?

2. Neither the 20P nor 21IP come stock with a GSM solution. It seems a GSM can be added to the 21IP, but I'm not sure if one is available for the 20P.

3. For any wireless connectivity I'd have to add something like the 6160RF, yes?

4. It seems an add-on IP communicator is available for the 20P, so it looks like this would allow for a more open IP based connectivity solution (assuming I'm right about the 21IP having a Honeywell-only IP solution).

5. I'm not sure I understand what the System Enhancement Module does for the 20P. Remote access and control?

6. It seems like for some devices, like wireless smoke detectors, only Honeywell devices can be used. Is this true?

7. What would be the most cost effective option for system monitoring by a security company, along the lines of what Amazon/Ring now offers (at a great price)?

Thanks.
1. Yes, the 21ip's built in IP communicator will only work with Honeywell's Alarmnet service. The cost of that service is dependent on which alarm company you decide to go with. I've seen it cost anywhere from $10.00 a month to $25.00 a month depending on the level of service.

2. The Vista 20p does support GSM communicators. The difference between the 21ip and 20p is that the 21ip accepts a communicator that snaps directly onto the panel vs. the 20p accepts a communicator wired into the panels ECP bus (same terminals the keypads connect to). The Vista 21ip works with the Vista-GSM4G. The Vista 20p will work with the IGSMV4G (dual path internet and GSM) or the GSMV4G (only GSM).

Also, the 21ip will work with the IGSMV4G and the GSMV4g, however, you will have to cut jumpers in order to get it to work.

3. Yes, in order to use wireless sensors you will need either the 6160RF or the 5881 receiver.

4. Depends on which IP communicator you're referring to. If its a Honeywell IP communicator it'll only work with Honeywell's Alarmnet service. The Envisalink 4 is a 3rd party IP communicator that will work with the vista 20p without any monthly costs.

5. The System Enhancement Module (SEM) is a GSM communicator that uses the Alarm.com service instead of the Honeywell Alarmnet service. (It's obviously not made by Honeywell)

6. Yes. In my opinion Honeywell wireless devices are one of the most reliable out of all of the alarm manufactures. The 20p will only work with Honeywell 5800 series wireless sensors. If you are using a wired sensor, it'll work with any manufacture.

7. The great thing about using a Vista 20p is that you can choose any alarm company that you want. You can't do that with the Ring, Nest, Simplisafe etc. The Vista 20p can even be self-monitored using the Envisalink 4 without a monthly cost.

I personally like AlarmGrid. They offer no-contract alarm monitoring and have great customer service. However, they are a little more pricey. You could check out alarmclub, and Alarm Relay etc. for their monitoring prices. They seem to be a little cheaper.

Personally I would go with the Vista 20p. The 20p is cheaper and can do everything the 21ip can with the right modules. The only reason I would go with the 21ip is if you only plan on using IP monitoring using Honeywell's Alarmnet service.

You can't go wrong with a Vista 20p paired with a Honeywell IGSMv4G.

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks smitcans. What about flood sensors? Any out there that will work with a 20P?

Reaction score
Yes, there are plenty of flood sensors that will work with the vista 20p. The Honeywell 5821 paired with a 470PB is a wireless flood sensor with a 10 year battery life. Another option would be the Honeywell 5800Flood. Those are just wireless flood sensors, you can also use hardwired flood sensors.

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 20P seems like a great way to go, but I'll admit the Ring Alarm system has a great price point and monitoring cost, and is likely more plug-n-play - if a bit more limited at the moment.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tony22

ring is not recommended. Please read about the ring security problems. Any cloud product has security issues.

Reaction score
Yes, the Ring is definitely cheaper and easier to install. However, it's also very limited in its capabilities as a security system. The Honeywell Vista line supports hundreds of different styles of sensors including 100lb Dual tech pet immune motion detectors, high security motion detectors with anti-masking, smoke detectors with built in rate of rise heat senors, CO detectors with 10 year sensor life, heat detectors (important for garages and attics), outdoor rated motion detectors and door sensors and the list goes on. If you're serious about your security system the 20p is a MUCH better choice. If you're looking for something very basic and cheap than you might be better off with the Ring. But remember the Ring is a proprietary system so if you invest in the system and Ring stops supporting it, you're shit out of luck and no longer have a security system.

The Vista 20p is compatible with numerous 3rd party communicators so if Honeywell stops supporting its GSM communicators you can easily switch to a 3rd party communicator and continue using the system. The Vista system is not proprietary and can be used with any alarm company that supports it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
tony22

ring is not recommended. Please read about the ring security problems. Any cloud product has security issues.
The ring alarm system is great and has no security issues. It requires no port forwarding or upnp and can easily be placed on a guest wireless network. You cant beat cellular monitoring for 8.30 a month.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the Ring is definitely cheaper and easier to install. However, it's also very limited in its capabilities as a security system. The Honeywell Vista line supports hundreds of different styles of sensors including 100lb Dual tech pet immune motion detectors, high security motion detectors with anti-masking, smoke detectors with built in rate of rise heat senors, CO detectors with 10 year sensor life, heat detectors (important for garages and attics), outdoor rated motion detectors and door sensors and the list goes on. If you're serious about your security system the 20p is a MUCH better choice. If you're looking for something very basic and cheap than you might be better off with the Ring. But remember the Ring is a proprietary system so if you invest in the system and Ring stops supporting it, you're shit out of luck and no longer have a security system.

The Vista 20p is compatible with numerous 3rd party communicators so if Honeywell stops supporting its GSM communicators you can easily switch to a 3rd party communicator and continue using the system. The Vista system is not proprietary and can be used with any alarm company that supports it.
Vista is much more versatile but with a much bigger learning curve and higher monitoring/remote access costs. As far as ring stopping support, its owned by amazon. They are not going anywhere. They system is easy and cheap enough to replace in 5-10 years if need be. You can also buy it at costco and dump it back to them if you dont like something in a few years.

Last edited:

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 20P seems like a great way to go, but I'll admit the Ring Alarm system has a great price point and monitoring cost, and is likely more plug-n-play - if a bit more limited at the moment.
I installed my own 20p system and love it. Also use Cellular for monitoring. We have been using Alarm Relay since 2005. They are cheap and no contract and they call within seconds if the system goes off. I test them every once in a while.

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
kendive, what are you paying for the Alarm Relay service?

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
kendive, what are you paying for the Alarm Relay service?
It's like 225 a year. That includes Cellular Monitoring. They add a little more for that and you get ability to login from anywhere and do alarm functions. I don't ever use that though. I think 8.95 a month if you use your internet service and no cellular.

Here are there Cellular Dialers (Yea I'm old school still call them that) LOL Think they call them something else now.

Security Accessories - Alarm Relay

Reaction score
I installed my own 20p system and love it. Also use Cellular for monitoring. We have been using Alarm Relay since 2005. They are cheap and no contract and they call within seconds if the system goes off. I test them every once in a while.
I'm setting up mine soon and would require some walkthrough. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkt

n3wb
Reaction score
I've installed a Vista 20p panel and 6160RF keypad at both my house and my in-laws. I've got wired and wireless door sensors, wired flood sensors, wireless motion and glass break detectors. They also have keyfobs you can use to arm/disarm the system. Lots of options and choices for monitoring and accessories.

Look into the EnvisaLink 4 New EVL4 DSC & Honeywell Compatible Internet Interface Module. It is about $125 1 time cost for the hardware and lets you control your alarm from your cell phone with no monthly fees using the Eyez-On app. You can arm/disarm the system from your phone, see when each zone was last tripped, etc. It also can blast an alarm on your phone if your house alarm goes off. It is wonderful and also offers monitoring options from them. This system connects to your network via an ethernet connection but you can also use a wireless bridge. I had to do the wireless route at the in-laws house and it hasn't caused any trouble in over a year. I use this for self monitoring and don't pay monthly fees.

If you require a monitoring service I would recommend the IGSMv4G and alarmgrid.