Honeywell

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My mom has an old Vista 15P - two of the sensors are broken so the whole system has ground to a halt.

Do you think she should just replace the sensors, or is now time for her to replace the whole system?

Thank

Reaction score
Even with 2 sensors not working, you should still be able to use the rest of it. I would just bypass those sensors when arming, until replacements have been put in place. A whole new system (from Honewell) will deifinitely cost a lot more. And if it's a Honeywell, will probably use the same sensors you already have. Just replace the non-functional ones. By the way, is this hardwired, or wireless?

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

Thakns for your comments; it's wired.

By bypassing I just have to reprogram it for her? Because right now it keeps saying not armed because not all the sensors are functional.

Reaction score
Hi

Thakns for your comments; it's wired.

By bypassing I just have to reprogram it for her? Because right now it keeps saying not armed because not all the sensors are functional.
You can remove the sensors from what is monitored by the control panel. Or, you should be able to just bypass those sensors when trying to arm the system, at the keypad.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can remove the sensors from what is monitored by the control panel. Or, you should be able to just bypass those sensors when trying to arm the system, at the keypad.
Thanks @weigle2 I might have to read her manual - I have no idea how to and neither does she. Cheers.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the alarm system currently monitored, meaning is she paying a monthly or annual fee to an alarm company?
If she is, let them fix it.

If not post some pictures of the sensors that are acting up and the inside of the control panel (metal box).

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your basic reed switches last a long time. Plunger and roller ball switches are much less reliable.
A connection problem or problem in the wire somewhere is possible too.

Last edited:

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@tangent So sorry for the delay - I've been busy so many things, I haven't gotten round to her place.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can't figure out what's wrong with those two zones, you can always install a few wireless sensors (a wireless receiver or keypad with wireless receiver would be required).

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bypassing a zone doesn't require programming. It just tells the system to ignore certain zones.
https://library.ademconet.com/mwt/fs2/vista-20p/vista-20p-quick-users-guide.pdf
https://amsasecurity.com/files/Ademco/vista_15P__20P.pdf

CODE + 6 + ZZ where ZZ is a 2 digit done number to be bypassed is all it takes to bypass a zone. repeat for multiple zones.

You may also be able to do a quick bypass CODE + 6 + #. This will bypass all open/faulted zones but it only works if quick bypass is enabled by the installer.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bypassing a zone doesn't require programming. It just tells the system to ignore certain zones.
https://library.ademconet.com/mwt/fs2/vista-20p/vista-20p-quick-users-guide.pdf
https://amsasecurity.com/files/Ademco/vista_15P__20P.pdf

CODE + 6 + ZZ where ZZ is a 2 digit done number to be bypassed is all it takes to bypass a zone. repeat for multiple zones.

You may also be able to do a quick bypass CODE + 6 + #. This will bypass all open/faulted zones but it only works if quick bypass is enabled by the installer.
You're amazing, @tangent.
Due to my own technical inabilities and lack of time these days (everything seems to be happening at once) my Mum has called a local alarm company who will come around and help her look at it. Do a demo etc.

Do you think she should change the master and installer code for this?

I told her she might want to?

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be prepared for a hard sell of their monitoring services for better or worse.
@tangent

Good news - she said the guy was a champ, he didn't try to upsell anything and he helped her bypass the two zones, re-test everything and gave her pointers for system components to buy on Amazon!

thanks so much for your help - I feel much better knowing she is armor secured again

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@tangent

Good news - she said the guy was a champ, he didn't try to upsell anything and he helped her bypass the two zones, re-test everything and gave her pointers for system components to buy on Amazon!

thanks so much for your help - I feel much better knowing she is armor secured again
I'd say it's a little disappointing they weren't prepared to just fix the problem zones. What components did they recommend to fix it?

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They recommended a programming panel for her and to buy two new sensors off Amazon (and then use the programming panel to program it)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They recommended a programming panel for her and to buy two new sensors off Amazon (and then use the programming panel to program it)
Could you be more specific (links)? The way you worded that doesn't quite make sense to me.

Some of your word choices make me think you aren't in the USA, possibly the UK. However in the UK generally Honeywell Galaxy alarms are used not Vista.

I'm guessing their suggestion is to just make those zones wireless rather than troubleshoot the wires / wired sensors. Wired sensors are cheap and relatively easy to troubleshoot.

If you can post some pictures of the keypads, control panel, and offending zone sensors if would be easier to offer more advice.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you are right - they recommended just replacing it with the wireless sensor

But the Honeywell panel she has is not an "Alpha" panel so he said she would need that to set up new sensors

I'll take some pics and figure out how to post here next week hopefully - cheers

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you are right - they recommended just replacing it with the wireless sensor

But the Honeywell panel she has is not an "Alpha" panel so he said she would need that to set up new sensors

I'll take some pics and figure out how to post here next week hopefully - cheers
You're talking about keypads not 'panels". It is much easier to program a honeywell alarm with a keypad that displays full text messages.

In order to add wireless sensors, you'd need a wireless receiver. This could either be built into a keypad like the 6160RF or a could be a separate receiver.

Fixing the wired zones might be easier, assuming the wires themselves aren't damaged. it would certainly be cheaper.

I'm a bit baffled this thread has dragged on this long and you haven't even said what kind of sensor these zones are. To be honest I don't have that much confidence in your ability to fix it and getting the information required from you to offer useful advice requires way too much effort on my part.