Hooked up a Reolink wireless ....

bcarpenter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hooked up a Reolink Argus 2 (linux powered internally) for the girlfriend to watch over the entrance to her house. The camera setup process requires links with her android phone and her router (even though we are not using cloud storage). While setting it up, there was one message on the phone saying that a Linux-based entity was trying to connect to her phone and another message pretty much insisting that the phone GPS be turned on. ?? Of course, the GPS remained firmly off but I can't help but wonder what database that information is going into. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

I'm thinking perhaps I need to install something a little more secure. Maybe hardwired, maybe Ubiquiti powered. Perhaps use her old computer as a dvr. The camera mounting point is 50 feet from the door. Perhaps two cameras, one wide angle and one zoomed in the the rear door would be best. Any thoughts/recommendations would be really appreciated.

Afterthought: Sure wish Blue Iris ran on Linux.......

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
When you were installing the Reolink app on the phone, did you read the EULA or did you just click click ? I cannot speak for Reolink but most of those apps you agree to give away the Farm. I have read others that not only gives them access to just about everything on your phone like your contacts and preferences but also gives them access to other wireless devices on your home network, then you agree to let them harvest your data and forward it to third party vendors and then you agree that they are not responsible for what those unnamed third party vendors do with your data. In the end they will know more about you and your whereabouts that you will. Scary ain't it.

bcarpenter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With it's resolution and at that distance, there will be no usable detail at night, or likely even during the day.
Did you walk-test it and check out the results?

We could tell that people were out there but not a lot of detail. Based on what Chris527 said, guess I'll remove this cam today.

Any recommendations on what equipment I should be using?

Reaction score
Any recommendations on what equipment I should be using?
Read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI, especially

I am partial to Dahua. The latest 5442 series is a great cam. It would be prudent to just buy the varifocal version and set it on a test rig at your expected position and walk test it.

bcarpenter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI, especially

I am partial to Dahua. The latest 5442 series is a great cam. It would be prudent to just buy the varifocal version and set it on a test rig at your expected position and walk test it.

Thanks much.

The Reolink has been taken out of service and the phone app has been removed.