How are you dealing with motion at night with just IR?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you set in the trigger to improve triggers at night?

I have a camera that's mounted 12ft high pointing down that I can't get to trigger from 5 feet away when it's dark with only the IR running. Not sure where to adjust this. night.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you set in the trigger to improve triggers at night?

I have a camera that's mounted 12ft high pointing down that I can't get to trigger from 5 feet away when it's dark with only the IR running. Not sure where to adjust this. View attachment 33874
if you dont post your settings, its pointless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Still not enough...you are using zone crossing rules and dont post the zones. Likely not setup properly. See the zone crossing video and help file.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes I'm using zone crossing, A-B and G is full. When the lights is on and I walk around it does trigger, when it's dark as shown then it doesn't pick up my motion.

zone a.jpg zone b.jpg zone g.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Zone A is so small and you have so much in the way (plant) there is not way BI will pick up 100 pixel movement.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks.. this is good to know, I just started to play with zones recently so still learning. I'll reduce it to 30% or something

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
btw: would it be better to not use zone crossing and just have one zone as pictured below? not too concern of trees and clouds at this time of day so this picture below will trigger any motion in the green? night time.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks.. this is good to know, I just started to play with zones recently so still learning. I'll reduce it to 30% or something
its not about the object exceeds percentage. dont mess with that.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You may need different settings for day vs night.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try messing with the contrast... profile is exactly what I'm working on now, I'm fine tuning each camera for each profile for day/night scenes

FoulFoot

n3wb
Reaction score
At night time, I recommend turning on "Black & White", turn off "Cancel Shadows", and choose Gaussian algorithm with "High Definition" checked.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
also, try reduce the minimum object size, contrast and especially duration.
.7 sec is kinda long... i run my cams at .2 or .3 secs...

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
also, try reduce the minimum object size, contrast and especially duration.
.7 sec is kinda long... i run my cams at .2 or .3 secs...
I use longer make times to filter out a lot of false alarms. If someone is actually on the property, they're going to be there a lot longer than the second that a passing bird might stay in frame.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reducing the min contrast definitely improved things. I also lowered the min object size to metagate the small zone and tree being in the way.

I'll try out the Black and whit esetting as foulfoot suggested which seems logical.

Agreed that the make time is fine. I too found that when I had it low, causes some false trigger.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At night time, I recommend turning on "Black & White", turn off "Cancel Shadows", and choose Gaussian algorithm with "High Definition" checked.
I believe the Guassian/Simple setting can not be set per profile. So if you set it, it will be for all profiles !