How can I put Hikvision firmware on rebranded NVR?

JSLC

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a HNR51P6-16 which is supposed to be a rebranded version of Hikvision's DS-7716NI-SP/16P. Unfortunately, firmware updates are not as frequent and I have a few things I'm hoping a firmware update will resolve: Gmail doesn't work, and some of my cameras have gaps in the recordings.

My current firmware is V3.3.6 build 151116

When attempting to use Hikvision's V3.4.3 build 160822 firmware, the "Upgrading" pop-up appears for a couple seconds then goes away and the status says "Failed to get the upgrading progress."

Any ideas? Had I known, I'd have avoided this NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be the wrong firmware for the model? Where did you download it from, and what was the filename?
For an International version of that NVR, this appears to be the firmware, a different build number from what you quoted : DOWNLOAD PORTAL

JSLC

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally found an updated version of the firmware specifically for the rebranded device. It fixed the gmail issue. We'll see about recording gaps in a few days. If it's fixed, I don't think I'll risk bricking it by forcing the other firmware in via TFTP. The new version has a button that will check for updates. Hopefully that solves my update issues for the future.

One thing I noticed was that the firmware my box took was called digicap.dav while the one from Hikvision directly is called digicap.mav. Not sure if a simple name change would have allowed it to load.

JSLC

n3wb
Reaction score
I just realized my folder is the only one with release notes. The others don't specify the models so you'll have to guess based on the folder name.

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried yours, did not work again. I am thinking... Is it my setup, copy of TFTP, or OEM NVR blocking updates/not working? I posted in this thread NOT getting final "Device [192.0.0.64] system update completed!" confirmation. Could this be the problem? See attached screenshots.

Attachments