How could I send an output signal when a camera detects a noise that exceeds a certain threshold?

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
A couple times a day it seems I have drivers honking their horns at my house for no apparent reason. I want to have some fun with them instead of calling the police. Is it possible to have some kind of software listen to the footage and send an output (like through a USB relay device), that could turn on/off a train horn? I would also like it to run automatically by using their license plates, so the software would need LPR functionality as well. This stuff all sounds like something that costs a fortune, but just curious if it's something that has been done before because I can see a lot of uses for this. For example, gun shot detection.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could do that with Blue Iris.

The audio would be a little tricky because anything that hits the DB would trigger it, but the plate would be an easier one to set up.

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
You could do that with Blue Iris.

The audio would be a little tricky because anything that hits the DB would trigger it, but the plate would be an easier one to set up.
Really? It can do that for only $50? How does it work exactly because I know that runs on a smart phone, but I would need an output module at my rack where the horn wire is located.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? It can do that for only $50? How does it work exactly because I know that runs on a smart phone, but I would need an output module at my rack where the horn wire is located.
The server runs on a windows pc..the smartphone is just a client app.
As noted you would get tons of false alarms because it cannot distinguish a car horn from other loud noises.
There are already devices on the market that detect car horns to open non-security gates - search google for them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris needs to run on a Windows based computer.

Then you put a camera outside that has an audio out line and you hook a speaker to it (would need power). In BI you tell it under Alerts that when plate XXX-YYYY passes to play an audio file.

Many of us have audio files played for people loitering or getting too close to the house at 2am, etc.

Possibilities are almost endless with Blue Iris. It is an incredible value.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will consider a different approach, than blasting a train horn at midnight. The solution could “backfire” for higher curiosity of drivers to wake-up the entire neighbor. Calling the police, even only during daytime, maybe difficult to prove malicious in a court of law

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree it would be best to detect a plate and have Blue Iris send an alert rather than blasting a horn... that would be just as annoying to your neighbors as the anonymous person that's annoying you, IMO.

Besides, in many if not most states and municipalities blowing a car horn except in an actual emergency situation is illegal...I know it is even in the podunk state of AL. It's seldom enforced but it could be used to silence the offender....don't become that offender.

I suggest you could legally have the offender silenced by turning over the undeniable evidence to LEO: a time and date stamped video with the offender's plate which includes an audio recording of the horn.

AL-Code-of-1975_32-5-213a.jpg

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
So basically I would need two normally open switches here, so when both conditions are met the horn will breifly activate and then set the output runtime for blue iris to a second to define the noise duration. The "horn detector" device would be the second switch, and once the right plate and the right noise are both detected at the same time, a retaliation honk that the whole town can hear will be heard.

That will be my plan B.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Normally, a typical car horn operates at a frequency between 200~500 Hz. If you pass only those frequencies (low pass, design/testing require), while blocking all others, there is a good chance to avoid false alarms. The circuitry will include a microphone, signal filtering, signal amplifier/triggering, comparator, relay, even a photo-resistor for day/night time allocation. There are several circuits design, using the LM2917 frequency to voltage IC. Also check the LM393 dual differential comparator. Also, you may look for a micro-controller (requires programming), probably a better choice, since it allows for interfacing (I/O communication) with other devices (PC/NVR/IP CAM)

The following item not necessarily perform what you are looking for, but will give you an idea for a basic circuit. It includes a simple relay activated with voice (require microphone + the filtering stage).

Googling and testing is require for all of the above circuits. If you plan to counter-attack with a loud signal, what about an air compressor pump horn (truck style)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So basically I would need two normally open switches here, so when both conditions are met the horn will breifly activate and then set the output runtime for blue iris to a second to define the noise duration. The "horn detector" device would be the second switch, and once the right plate and the right noise are both detected at the same time, a retaliation honk that the whole town can hear will be heard.

That will be my plan B.
The Shelly1-UL works with Blue Iris to provide I/O:

Consider the Shelly1 UL: Switch devices over your Wi-Fi, no hub needed, no cloud or app needed although both are available. Operates on 12VDC, 24 – 60V DC or 110-240VAC, switches up to 15A with a dry contact, UL-listed model available.

Uses HTTP, MQTT and more.

PDF instructions here ==>> Simple Blue Iris I/O using Shelly1 Wi-Fi Devices

Shelly1_size.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The "horn detector" device would be the second switch, and once the right plate and the right noise are both detected at the same time, a retaliation honk that the whole town can hear will be heard.

That will be my plan B.
If you do resort to Plan B, I'm grateful we don't live near one another....it worked out for both of us. :rolleyes:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
A Train horn could result in some special visits by people dumping cow manure, or other mischief to get back at you....I can think of other drive by retaliations lol....
Pecan pie in the mailbox, Kittylitter box dumped in the lawn....and I don't even have a train horn...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While retaliation sounds good lol (pun intended), it will just spur on copy cats and at all hours and your neighbors will complain and you will be the one cited.

I agree with above - look up code where you live and see if what they are doing is a violation and if so send the video and plate to the police.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A Train horn could result in some special visits by people dumping cow manure, or other mischief to get back at you....I can think of other drive by retaliations lol....
Pecan pie in the mailbox, Kittylitter box dumped in the lawn....and I don't even have a train horn...
Don't ask him where the pecan pie idea came from lol

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't ask him where the pecan pie idea came from lol
Maybe years ago when Flintstone was a hell-raiser in high school and they were out at midnight hitting mailboxes with a baseball bat and he thought his buddy's suggestion to "...put pee in a can up high" was "...put in a pecan pie".

Hey, it happened to me like that once....or something similar. I was pretty wasted. :lmao:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's my Kitty litter suspect. Gotta run to work. they dumped in my blind spot in middle of yard.
they're the only car that afternoon pulling to the shoulderand slowing down, and sitting off camera for 8-10 seconds.
But I'm missing critical data to call it in....So I might have to do baseball bat justice LOL....

Attachments

Last edited: