How do 12v Hikvision and similar cameras work on industry standard 48v PoE swithes

adimw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Pleb question here, currently running two crap Foscams and wanting to move up to some 2 or 3 mpixel Hikvisions.
Seeing as most do not come with a power supply, meaning either PoE to a wall wart with injector or to a PoE switch, the ones on AliExpress seem to be 48v, do the 12v cameras auto change the power or is there another adaptor required? Thanks

Adam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: How do 12v Hikvision and similar cameras work on industry standard 48v PoE swithe

Hi all,

Pleb question here, currently running two crap Foscams and wanting to move up to some 2 or 3 mpixel Hikvisions.
Seeing as most do not come with a power supply, meaning either PoE to a wall wart with injector or to a PoE switch, the ones on AliExpress seem to be 48v, do the 12v cameras auto change the power or is there another adaptor required? Thanks

Adam
Welcome to the forum. Its either or...if you use a 12v adapter you plug in to the standard circular connection at the pigtail, if you use poe then ignore that connection and power is provided over the ethernet cord. A switch that can power 4 cams is a bout 45 dollars. Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-Port PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

adimw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: How do 12v Hikvision and similar cameras work on industry standard 48v PoE swithe

Apologies - my question is badly worded. I would like to use an 8 port or similar PoE switch to power 4x Hikvision cameras, I see that they run on 12v; as I understand it the switches are 48v so I was wondering how the camera deals with this? Do all the cameras accept 48v and internally switch to 12v or 5v? or does the 802.3af standard take care of this and I shouldn't be worrying?!

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The camera regulates the voltage. No adapter required.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

or does the 802.3af standard take care of this and I shouldn't be worrying?!
Correct :D

adimw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thanks DaveP. Running 4 Hikvision cameras on PoE now. 802.3af standard did the hard job that I was so concerned about!