How do I connect doorbell to IP camera?

soundkite

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd like my doorbell to trigger my IP camera when it's depressed. Can I simply add a 2nd wire from camera to button to act as a triggering relay switch? Would the low voltage from the doorbell's transformer be harmful? I use Hikvision and Dahua cameras, if that helps.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First of all, is it a PTZ? What do you mean you want it to trigger the IP camera? Secondly, if it is a PTZ, than it needs to have an alarm input. If it does, than you can use the doorbell button itself as the N/O input, or if you use the voltage from the doorchime, have that trigger a relay and use the relay to trigger the PTZ.

soundkite

n3wb
Reaction score
I know how to make the input connection to short the wires and trigger an alarm output. When the doorbell is depressed, I assume that a low voltage passes through the wires to ring my home's bell. However, I believe the camera only needs wires to be shorted. In other words, one button to trigger both bell and cam.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The button is in series with a transformer to the bell. The button itself does not send voltage, it just closes the circuit. Is this for the new PTZ you bought from me?

dalepa

Reaction score
I'd like my doorbell to trigger my IP camera when it's depressed. Can I simply add a 2nd wire from camera to button to act as a triggering relay switch? Would the low voltage from the doorbell's transformer be harmful? I use Hikvision and Dahua cameras, if that helps.
A different approach...

I use BI motion detection to set off my PCs speakers to ring a virtual bell as someone walks up to the door... Works pretty good in my house where only strangers use the front door...

soundkite

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Vector, I will use a smaller camera for my front door. However, if your 30x Dahua has alarm IO, I will probably put an input button in my house to make it easy for anyone to start recording manually when desired.

pacowilson

n3wb
Reaction score
For achieve this function, you need to use the alarm input of your IP cameras, then you need to buy a hardwired door bell button which has relay contact output. If it's not easy to get a beautiful hardwired door bell button, you can choose to use the panic/emergency button (but put a "door bell" sticker to cover the emergency icon mark).

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this is a really old thread but it caught my eye because I have neighbors nearby that are looking to mimic the "RING" doorbell. I don't know why anyone would only want to record only when the doorbell rings (and I don't think that's how the 'RING' works either) but here's my small contribution to this:

door_bell (1)[/img]