How do I install DS-2xx2_5.4.5_170123 security update on my Gray Market camera USA

glg_99

n3wb
Reaction score
My camera is DS-2CD2232 it is a CH Chinese camera with firmware 5.2.0 How do I install DS-2xx2_5.4.5_170123 on my Gray Market camera with USA language. I want to install the new version to plug the security holes in the old firmware.
Thank You!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good question, and I suspect that the answer will be "you can't" without the camera reverting to its CN origins.
I doubt very much if Hikvision have been kind to their on-line purchaser customer base and incorporated a fix that does not change the camera back to language=2
But presumably the on-line sellers have had their firmware suppliers working on the requirement.
On past performance, though, they seem to guard their creations quite closely.

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If it is a CH camera won't you get "upgrade failed" if you try to use WR firmware?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is a CH camera won't you get "upgrade failed" if you try to use WR firmware?
Not if it's running 'hacked to English' firmware which make the camera masquerade as not CN.
But following the reboot after the accepted, but invalid, update, the new firmware discovers it's really a CN camera and enters what is commonly known as a 'bricked' state. Which in many cases is recoverable.
Also - if you force the issue a bit and use the tftp updater, some of the 'upgrade failed' checks of the web GUI running environment are bypassed.

The worst aspect of this is not those who try to upgrade but know the potential consequences, but those who believe, as they should, that doing updates is generally a good thing as it has bug fixes, security fixes, and improved functionality, but have no knowledge of Hikvision's region-blocking tactics.

glg_99

n3wb
Reaction score
So how did the sellers of these grey market Chinese cameras with English language make them this state before shipping them to customers. And if they where able to do it with this old firmware.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And how can one determine if 'hacked to English' firmware is being run?
My concern is that the camera model number is reported as XC-2142F and not what I see here as DS-2142F.
I bought the camera from a US dealer.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So how did the sellers of these grey market Chinese cameras with English language make them this state before shipping them to customers.
By installing modified, non-stock, firmware to make the China-market cameras appear to be International market cameras.
And that all works perfectly well until that modified firmware gets replaced by an update using stock firmware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
And how can one determine if 'hacked to English' firmware is being run?
On a newly-bought camera, one clue is if the firmware version shown in the System information on the web GUI is not the same as the as-manufactured firmware version that's printed on the camera or box label. And on the older models, the letters 'CCCH' in the serial number suggest a China-region camera.